tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Firmware Updates
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2014, 09:20 pm »
A second on mono.
It's a vinyl thing!
Mono LP's do sound better when played in mono, even with a stereo cartridge.
The vast majority of phono units lack a mono switch. Some folks resort to a double Y adapter to get around this. You can imagine what those extra connectors from the double Y method do to the signal from the phono unit.
I'm considering adding a mono switch for one of my inputs on a future build to get around this.

Ah yes, a mono switch. That requires connecting the right and left channel signals together and to do so would require a relay and there's no relay for that built into any of the Tortuga boards. The V2.1 board does have 2 extra 5 volt outputs which can be controlled via software and either output could be used to trigger an external mono relay.

robertopisa

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:11 pm »
Great idea Morten. As the impedance doubles for the balanced version, what if you drop 100k (who is using it?) in favour of 1K and 2.5K?
Actually, the range could be 1K, 2.5K, 5K, 10K, 15K, 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K. I do not think that over 50K is really useful.

Thanks
Roberto

1) New feature: User selectable input impedance settings. Proposed settings starting at 5k, then 10k, 20k etc. up to 100k. Once you pick a setting, you'll need to rerun auto-cal for the new setting to become active. The results of each setting will be stored in memory so you'll be able to switch multiple settings on the fly to determine which sounds better in your rig.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm »
After a ton (perhaps a few tons) of work, we are pleased to finally release the latest version of our LDR preamp controller firware that was developed as part of the V2.1 version of the LDR3x Preamp Controller Board.

This Rev 2.1.x firmware now includes both adjustable impedance as well as a greatly improved auto-cal algorithm. You can read more about it via this article: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/ldr-passive-preamps-with-adjustable-impedance/

For convenience I've quoted the essential top lines below.

We've been shipping versions of this new firmware with our products starting back in January but we didn't want to formally release it and make it available to existing V2/preamp customers until such time as we felt it had a chance to mature.

Best,
Morten  :thumb:

March 1, 2015 - Tortuga Audio has released a major firmware update for its LDR Passive Preamp product line allowing the user to change the input impedance of their LDR passive preamp. This firmware update also includes an upgraded auto-calibration algorithm resulting in improved sound stage and stereo imaging.

The Adjustable Impedance feature allows the user to set up 5 different impedance settings, each between 1k and 99k, with setting #1 currently set up at 20k by default.

All Tortuga Audio preamp products shipped starting January 1, 2015 include some version of the updated 2.1.x firmware. This firmware update is also available to all existing owners of the V2 and V2.1 versions of the LDR3x passive preamp controller board as well as all passive preamp products equipped with a USB socket. Version 2.1.7 is considered the most complete, stable and reliable version as of this edit. Owners are encourage to upgrade to this version.

The latest firmware file plus the required PC compatible bootloader program (not available yet for MACs) can be downloaded from here.  Detailed instructions can be found there as well. The specific remote command sequences needed to adjust impedance can be found here in our online documentation.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:20 pm »
Sweet!

I just placed an order for your finished LDR3v2 pre and look forward to what it can do! I have a Job 225 thats currently in the trading post here but for fun I put in back in the chain over the weekend to see how it could handle my new speakers and it sounds pretty good. I'm considering getting the Job 250 monoblocks with a little more power but has the same high gain as the 225 and from everything I've read is a great match with your passive pre.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:23 pm »
Sweet!

I just placed an order for your finished LDR3v2 pre and look forward to what it can do! I have a Job 225 thats currently in the trading post here but for fun I put in back in the chain over the weekend to see how it could handle my new speakers and it sounds pretty good. I'm considering getting the Job 250 monoblocks with a little more power but has the same high gain as the 225 and from everything I've read is a great match with your passive pre.

Thanks for the order and yes we have several customers running our preamps with the Job 225 with great things to say about the pairing. I've been thinking of getting a Job as well based on all the positive feedback. Will have to look into dual 250's as well.

Crimson77

wierd issues after firmware update
« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2015, 06:05 am »
Hello!

I'm using a LDR3x preamp with 3 RCA inputs, and wonder how impedance adjustment can affect the sound. I downloaded the latest firmware ( for my case, it is LDR3X.V2.1_LDRx_3INPUT_217.hex ) and updated the firmware without problems. After some tries and playing around, I found the Impedance Number 3, no matter what impedance level I set, will make the preamp sound very loud! All other Impedance Number, i.e., 1, 2, 4, 5 , are normal and fine. Anyone has the same issue?

chang

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: wierd issues after firmware update
« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2015, 02:13 pm »
Hello!

I'm using a LDR3x preamp with 3 RCA inputs, and wonder how impedance adjustment can affect the sound. I downloaded the latest firmware ( for my case, it is LDR3X.V2.1_LDRx_3INPUT_217.hex ) and updated the firmware without problems. After some tries and playing around, I found the Impedance Number 3, no matter what impedance level I set, will make the preamp sound very loud! All other Impedance Number, i.e., 1, 2, 4, 5 , are normal and fine. Anyone has the same issue?

chang

Hi Chang,

Based on your comment, I suspect that there may be some misunderstanding on how to set up the adjustable impedance. There are 5 possible impedance settings. The only one that comes configured is setting #1 which is already established at an impedance level of 20k. Settings 2-5 do not come pre-configured and you'll either get no sound (most likely) or some random sound level if you switch to one of these other settings without first configuring them.

In brief, here is the way you configure any setting number. With the unit turned on, press the left button on the remote. This will display the current setting number (1-5). Pressing the left button again will display the impedance level associated with that setting number. Setting #1 should be at 20. You can toggle between the setting number and the impedance level by repeatedly pressing the left button. If you are displaying the impedance setting (1-5) use the raise/lower buttons to switch between settings. If you are displaying the impedance level use the raise/lower buttons to adjust the desired impedance level between 1k and 99k for the setting number you're currently on. 

Here's the really important part and what I suspect might confuse people. Let's say you've just adjusted the setting #2 impedance level to the desired number - say 50k. In order for this to actually take effect, you must then do the following: a)  press the Enter/Center button (locks in the new 50k level for setting #2),  b) turn off the preamp,  c) then immediately run auto-cal.  If you don't do a), b) and c) in sequence before doing anything else nothing will happen and the #2 impedance will either not change from its prior level (if it was previously configured) or it won't be properly configured at all.

You have to repeat the above process for each of the impedance settings (except #1 which is already set up at 20k) in order to be able to switch between 5 different settings. If you just want to switch between setting #1 and #2 then you only have to configure #2 followed by auto-cal and you're good to go and should be able to switch back and forth between them.

It's entirely arbitrary what setting number you use and what impedance level (1k - 99k) you choose for each setting number. That said, I suggest leaving setting #1 at 20k (the baseline) and then configure one or more of settings 2-5 as you wish. Personally, I found it useful to configure setting #2 at 50k and setting #3 at 99k. That way you switch back and forth between these and decide if you think the sound gets better or not.

The unit will remember whatever setting number the preamp was last at and will use that impedance setting/level until you change either (but only after being properly configured per the above instructions).

It will be interesting to get feedback from users and see if a consensus develops on what is preferable.

Cheers,  :thumb:
Morten
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2015, 03:57 pm by tortugaranger »

robertopisa

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm »
Hello Morten, will this work also for double boards V2 in balanced configuration (master-slave)?
Thanks
-Roberto

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:28 pm »
Hello Morten, will this work also for double boards V2 in balanced configuration (master-slave)?
Thanks
-Roberto

Yes, it will now once we got to rev 2.1.7.  Getting the dual mono/balanced boards to work right took some extra work but we've done a few dual/balanced sets with 2.1.7 and they're working as they should. Anyone with an earlier 2.1.X version on dual mono or balanced boards should update to 2.1.7.

robertopisa

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm »
Sorry I just read now that you already said that in the "Firmware Change Log" section of the download tab :)
Thanks
-Roberto

Yes, it will now once we got to rev 2.1.7.  Getting the dual mono/balanced boards to work right took some extra work but we've done a few dual/balanced sets with 2.1.7 and they're working as they should. Anyone with an earlier 2.1.X version on dual mono or balanced boards should update to 2.1.7.

robertopisa

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm »
Oops, another question... to be sure to operate correctly for dual mono balanced settings...

1. The new firmware must be still loaded separately on each individual board
2. The calibration procedure and setting of #2-#5 instead is handled by the master using the Apple remote as you described.

Is that correct?

-R

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:43 pm »
Oops, another question... to be sure to operate correctly for dual mono balanced settings...

1. The new firmware must be still loaded separately on each individual board
2. The calibration procedure and setting of #2-#5 instead is handled by the master using the Apple remote as you described.

Is that correct?

-R

Yes to both. Once both boards have the same updated firmware the master communicates setting changes to the slave. It requires the Apple remote. Some customers have our earlier Tortuga remote which basically works but but the controls for adjustable impedance currently do not work with the Tortuga remote. The next firmware update will correct that.

Also, some customers have noted that the Tortuga remote (as opposed to the Apple) has a hair trigger with the latest firmware such that if you hold down a button like the power on/off too long the unit will turn on and then immediately turn off. That's because the Tortuga remote has automatic repeat whereas the Apple does not.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Owners of V2 boards who are planning or have already upgraded to V2.1 firmware should read this carefully.

This only applies to V2 boards and not V2.1 boards.

The Issue: A key feature of the 2.1 firmware release is adjustable input impedance. V2 board owners can add this feature by upgrading to V2.1 firmware. All fine and good. However, upgrading directly from V2 to V2.1 firmware does not properly initialize the attenuation tables for each of the impedance settings 2 through 5. Only setting number 1 (20k by default) is properly initialized. So what you ask? Well, should you decide to switch from impedance setting #1 to either 2, 3, 4 or 5 (before properly configuring each of these) there's a very good chance your volume level will go to 100% and volume control will be unresponsive until you switch back to setting #1 or other properly configured setting, shut off the power or yank out the cables. Yeow you say! Indeed we say.

The Fix: To avoid "Yeow", the attenuation tables for all the 5 impedance settings need to be initialized. To do this you need to upload a special version of the firmware into your V2 board, let it boot up and initialize the tables. You'll know it's done after the boot up numbers on the displays stop showing up. After this is done, proceed to upload the regular latest version of the firmware and all should be well. You only have to do this one time. If you'v already upgraded your V2 to V2.1 firmware  we still recommend you run this initialization firmware. Initialization will overwrite any impedance setting you may have already configured and will reset the unit to setting #1 (20k).

You can find the firmware download files and related instructions on our website here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Firmware Update - Bug Fix
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2015, 06:28 pm »
We just updated the firmware to version 2.1.8 as of 7.17.15 to fix a bug solely related to adjustable impedance.

Who Should Update: This update only applies if you are using adjustable impedance and wish to raise the impedance setting above 65k (up to max of 99k). If you're happy with impedance settings below 65k, you need not bother with this update.

The Issue:  When users tried to set the adjustable impedance level above 65k the setting level was not being reliably saved. Checking the setting immediately after saving it would sometimes show a different value than the one saved. This didn't happen with impedance values at or below 65k. The reason for this behavior was trying to pass a number that was bigger than could be contained properly by a 16 bit variable. Basically, a programming error.

The Fix: A minor edit to the software removed the 65k impedance restriction. Impedance should now be adjustable between 1k and 99k. Please note that with balanced systems the actual impedance will be twice the stated value (i.e. a 10k setting which yield a 20k input impedance).

You can find the firmware download files and related instructions on our website here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

33na3rd

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
Apple downloader coming in the near future?  :)

ThuanDB

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:43 am »
Hi Morten,

Please forgive my ignorance and/slowness, but after I've downloaded the 2.0 to 2.1 firmware as well as the boot loader, running it didn't have any effect (no connection between LDR and PC) even though the USB cable was hooking the LDR to the PC, and LDR was on.  Am I missing something?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:29 pm »
Hi Morten,

Please forgive my ignorance and/slowness, but after I've downloaded the 2.0 to 2.1 firmware as well as the boot loader, running it didn't have any effect (no connection between LDR and PC) even though the USB cable was hooking the LDR to the PC, and LDR was on.  Am I missing something?

First, you have a very recent build that has version 2.1.7 firmware. You already have a 2.1 device. Downloading and using anything related to 2.0 firmware is going backwards and is incompatible with your 2.1 machine so please don't try that.

Simply hooking up your PC to the preamp with a USB cable and running the Bootloader program on your PC will  do nothing. The ONLY time the preamp will be able to connect with the bootloader program on your PC is within the first 5 seconds after power is applied to the preamp. During those 5 seconds, the bootloader code on the preamp will talk to the bootloader program on your PC. To actually make a connection you have to press the Connect button on the PC bootloader program. If the Connect button isn't pressed within those 5 seconds, the bootloader program on the preamp will stop and the normal application firmware code on the preamp will start. If you missed the 5 second window, pull the power plug from the preamp, plug it back in again and try again.

Every preamp unit we ship is programmed this very same way so we know it works. This procedure is explained in detail in the software download section of our website. Look for the "Detailed Instruction" and expand that to read up on this procedure. http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

Updating your firmware to the latest 2.1.8 will correct for a bug in the adjustable impedance that limited the max preamp setting to 65k rather than the 99k intended. If this isn't of interest to you then no need to update your firmware.

ThuanDB

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:50 pm »
You made me realize now that I missed the detailed instructions.  Thank you for the response.

Updates:  works perfectly, 99K ohms can now be saved and stay unchanged in any memory slot.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2015, 08:43 pm by ThuanDB »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
2.2.X Firmware Update & Apple Remote Changes
« Reply #38 on: 14 May 2016, 06:36 pm »
Effective May 15, 2016 we are releasing version 2.2 of our firmware including changes in how the Apple Remote is used to control Tortuga Audio preamps. All new preamps will ship with the 2.2 firmware. Owners of existing V2 series preamps including the LDRx and LDRxB can upgrade to the 2.2 firmware if they wish.

This firmware update is a refinement of Tortuga Audio's V2 (and V2.1) generation preamp controller that was last released in January of 2015.

Highlights of this firmware update are as follows:

* Addition of auto-repeat to the Apple Remote providing ease of ramping volume up or down with a single press of the remote
* Improved Apple Remote functionality through a restructured control scheme
   * Balance adjustment is now the primary function of the left/right buttons along with volume control via raise/lower buttons
   * The Mute(play) button has been repurposed as a Control Mode button with the following control modes:
      * Input Adjust
      * Impedance Adjust
      * Display Brightness Adjust
      * Max Volume at Input Change Adjust
      * The Power On/Off button is now the Power On/Off-Mute button
* Improved control integration between preamp boards for balanced audio configurations
* Enhanced stability through numerous tweaks under-the-hood
* Better protection against spurious infrared noise sources that might cause false control inputs

The firmware won't be available for download until sometime tomorrow, Sunday 5.15.16. I will update with a link once it's ready.

More info can be found via the following 2 links:

A posted article saying substantially the same thing as above.
http://www.tortugaaudio.com/firmware-update-apple-control-changes/

A new section in our documentation detailing the new Apple Remote controls.
http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#apple-2-2-x

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Morten   :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: 2.2.X Firmware Update & Apple Remote Changes
« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2016, 12:31 pm »
The updated firmware files have been uploaded and are now available: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/downloads/

Effective May 15, 2016 we are releasing version 2.2 of our firmware including changes in how the Apple Remote is used to control Tortuga Audio preamps. All new preamps will ship with the 2.2 firmware. Owners of existing V2 series preamps including the LDRx and LDRxB can upgrade to the 2.2 firmware if they wish.

This firmware update is a refinement of Tortuga Audio's V2 (and V2.1) generation preamp controller that was last released in January of 2015.

Highlights of this firmware update are as follows:

* Addition of auto-repeat to the Apple Remote providing ease of ramping volume up or down with a single press of the remote
* Improved Apple Remote functionality through a restructured control scheme
   * Balance adjustment is now the primary function of the left/right buttons along with volume control via raise/lower buttons
   * The Mute(play) button has been repurposed as a Control Mode button with the following control modes:
      * Input Adjust
      * Impedance Adjust
      * Display Brightness Adjust
      * Max Volume at Input Change Adjust
      * The Power On/Off button is now the Power On/Off-Mute button
* Improved control integration between preamp boards for balanced audio configurations
* Enhanced stability through numerous tweaks under-the-hood
* Better protection against spurious infrared noise sources that might cause false control inputs

The firmware won't be available for download until sometime tomorrow, Sunday 5.15.16. I will update with a link once it's ready.

More info can be found via the following 2 links:

A posted article saying substantially the same thing as above.
http://www.tortugaaudio.com/firmware-update-apple-control-changes/

A new section in our documentation detailing the new Apple Remote controls.
http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#apple-2-2-x

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Morten   :thumb: