Pros & Cons of Leaving Amps on 24/7

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Pros & Cons of Leaving Amps on 24/7
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:56 pm »
hi,

the preamp 26, BDA-1 and BDP-1 are on 24/7. the amplifier 3B SST2 is turned on only when needed. now that i have two kids ( :thumb:) headphone listening is more important than ever and so this is one reason why i leave a part of my system on. i enjoy the system almost every evening/night...

and yes, i'd say that 'warmed up' gear sound a touch smoother than a stonecold one.

al.

RDavidson

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2014, 09:01 pm »
As source components have far less power draw and have VERY small power supplies (compared to power amps), they're really of no concern in terms of wear and tear or safety. That's why the OP was asking about amps specifically. Leave sources on all you like. :thumb:........though you might check to be sure when your CD player isn't playing anything, that the laser isn't continuously on. This can cause premature laser failure. Probably isn't an issue with any newer disc players, but worth investigating nonetheless.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2014, 02:19 am by RDavidson »

santacore

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:12 am »
I work in many different post production studios and for the most part all leave the amps or powered speakers on 24/7. Although I can't be sure, I haven't heard of or noticed a high rate of failure.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:51 am »
Hi Georgopoulos.
So, you will explain because you like my style.
What about if you did not liked my style?
Would you still explain ? ? ?  :lol:
Of course temperature is not generated by the heatsink.
Heatsink by themselve are inert, dead, cold or should I say
at room temperature, until they are heat up by a transistor
or what ever they have to dissipate the heat from
and what they are in contact with.
No voltage - no current, no heat.
When current start to flow, you have resistance
and friction, then heat.
Does that make sense to you ?
Are we saying the same thing ?

Guy 13

well ,you should tell us..if i didnt like your style i wouldnt!.. :lol:

Of course temperature is not generated by the heatsink.

yes it is,once it has reached some temperature.. :lol:

Heatsink by themselve are inert, dead, cold or should I say
at room temperature, until they are heat up by a transistor
or what ever they have to dissipate the heat from
and what they are in contact with.

not cold ,hot, that's how they operate.. :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:01 am »
well ,you should tell us..if i didnt like your style i wouldnt!.. :lol:

yes it is,once it has reached some temperature.. :lol:

not cold ,hot, that's how they operate.. :lol:

Hi Georgopoulos.

Why most of the Greek name ends by POULOS ???

I hope that if you don't like me, you will tell me anyway.
I would like to know so I can put your name on my list of AC members that don't like me.
I started to list them on a roll of toilet paper, because my list is long,
I might need an extra roll.

Even if the heat sink as reach a certain temperature,
it still does not generate heat by himself,
the job of a heat sink is to dissipate the heat from a heat generating component stick on it.
Do you agree with that, are we saying the same thing with different words.
Should I use Google translate from English to Greek ?  :lol:

Yes, they operate hot, because that's their job, but when everything is off,
they are cold like... Like a cold heat sink at rest.

You better agree with me, otherwise I will start not to like you. :nono:

Guy 13

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:20 am »
Capacitors are rated for cycles at higher temperatures than audio equipment typically ever sees (for a few reasons). It's actually hard to predict failure unless it was designed in or faulty. For every old amp that needs re-capped there seems to be a twin that doesn't.

Most caps in amps don't even come close to fully discharging during play. They don't really "cycle" unless turned on and off. The reason is they're meant to keep voltage up and if you've got enough capacitance it will drop a very small amount by discharging only a fraction. If it were too small and it tried to prevent voltage drop it wouldn't stand a chance, it'd be empty and the voltage would have plummeted. Here's what it looks like, and if the caps were smaller they'd roll off faster, and if they were bigger they'd created more of a straight line, but notice the red at the start, that's half a true cycle; the other half comes at turn off.

This doesn't mean that only a turn on and off contributes to the life of a capacitor, I just though you guys might like a snippet of what they're doing - at low heat.

A buddy of mine leaves the top cover off his Bryston that's always on, he says it keeps the heat just right for optimal sound and hopes it extends it's life.

PierreB

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2014, 02:00 pm »
My Bryston are running 24/7 since day 1 ( april 2005) and never have a single problem.   :thumb:

AKLegal

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:07 pm »
So what about class A amps and equipment?  Other than the power bill, are there extra considerations?

srb

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:22 pm »
So what about class A amps and equipment?  Other than the power bill, are there extra considerations?

Because the life of the electrolytic capacitors are so dependent on temperature, Class A amplifier run continuously will likely have an effect on their lifespan more than Class AB amplifiers.  Each 10 degrees C increase will half the rated life, and conversely each 10 degree C decrease will double the life from the rated temperature.

In a normal class AB amplifier with adequate ventilation, the capacitors are never run anywhere near at their rated temperature, 85C or 105C.  Good thing too, because at the rated temperature many electrolytic capacitors are rated at a meager 2000 - 5000 hours.  But many of the Class A amps run so hot that the ambient temperature of the internal electrolytics is lot higher even with very large heat sinks.

I think that's why you'll see many older Class A beasts that have had a re-capping, while their similar age Class AB counterparts are still cruising without any service.

Steve