Drivers in VMPS RM2

StephL

Drivers in VMPS RM2
« on: 17 Aug 2013, 05:16 pm »
Hi everyone,
Owner of the 626 Jr, i wanted to upgrade to the RM2 unfortunately they r not for sale anymore  :( I will try to build those as a DIY project. Could anyone help me with the list of parts that are in the RM2 speakers: I would need the list of drivers, how to Make/Find the crossovers for these drivers, and the design of the enclosure. Thanks in advance

John Casler

Re: Drivers in VMPS RM2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:16 am »
Hi everyone,
Owner of the 626 Jr, i wanted to upgrade to the RM2 unfortunately they r not for sale anymore  :( I will try to build those as a DIY project. Could anyone help me with the list of parts that are in the RM2 speakers: I would need the list of drivers, how to Make/Find the crossovers for these drivers, and the design of the enclosure. Thanks in advance

First do be aware that this is no easy build, and for a beginner the XO will likely be beyond challenging.

However here is what you would need:

1) Cabinets - the spacing between driver needs to be "exact" depending on which tweeter you use.  It also has to have a box-out behind the tweeter and Neopanels.

2) Tweeters - either Spirals or FST.  I still have some of each from the Widow

3) Neopanels - 2 pair again, I have some still left from the factory

4) Woofers - a pair of 12" Woofers.  There are no more of the WCF 12" left so you would have to substitute with a comparable model

5) Passive Radiator - I only have the Ultra-Passive 12" PRs available

6) L-Pads - Those are available

7) Crossover - I have a XO guy who can build them for you as he has studied and reversed engineered all of Brian's work, but he would charge you to build them.  I would suggest the OXO (outboard X)

Also you would need Binding Posts, Wiring, Gaskets, PolyFill, Wood Screws, etc.

Changes:  I might suggest you do a side firing PR, to reduce the additional word working of making the Slot Loaded Base.

If you are building the cabinets, the first thing you will need will be the measurements, then you will need to decide which tweeter you will be using, and get the "exact" spacing between drivers from someone with that RM-2 with that tweeter.

soarertoy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:05 am »
Alternatively, there is a pair of RM40's on Audiogon.

Cheers

Richard

simon wagstaff

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2018, 01:11 pm »
I might be interested in the external crossover for the RM2. I just picked up a pair at a yard sale and still playing with them. They have a single ribbon tweeter. Which version is this?

I realize this is an old thread and the crossover may not still be an option.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2018, 04:43 pm »
I will post some photos of them later. I think it is the SDE edition, but not sure.

ZAKski288

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 09:25 pm »
Simon,  The one tweeter is the latest version.  Nice yard sale Find, Ken
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 10:27 pm by ZAKski288 »

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2018, 10:18 pm »
This was the final version of the RM2; the RM2 FST.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM2.htm

And at a yard sale!  Some people have all the luck!   :o :thumb:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2018, 12:31 pm »
Yes, that looks like it, but there is no switch on it for bi-amping? It's in a plain black cabinet. I have jumpers in between the two sets of terminals.

Yes, well I picked these up for $500 and a pair of 626R for $400 with some stands that I thought were metal, but just wood. I am not getting the bass out of them that I expected, though it is very tight and smooth. The planar mids are very nice, so detailed! I have adjusted the lpads, still need some work on those. I have run room correction and have a pair of smaller VMPS subs that I am working on getting integrated properly. I thought they would be decent secondary speakers, but I am beginning to think they will take center stage.

The 626 had the round, flat tweeter and carbon fiber woofer.

The guy also had a pair of V60's that were very tempting. He went down to $2000 but they were just too big, and as set up they required the external 24/96 digital crossover. With all the boxes for the crossovers it looked a little intimidating to get set up correctly, and then I would need to get my subs in the picture somehow. I am sure it was a fantastic deal, but just too much to take a chance on.

They also threw in an MMF7.0 turntable, without a motor, for free. I can get a replacement motor for about $180 bucks. I might need some other stuff.

AND, to top it off I got an Audio Research VS55 for $500 as well.

So, the piano black cabinet and lack of switch (unless the switch is hidden somewhere) for bi-amping might indicate this is an early version of the SDE?

I am going to play with the VS55 today. Right now I am running them with an Odyssey Kismet amp, and they do sound pretty darn good.

Thanks for the help!

Stimpy

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2018, 02:26 pm »
Congratulations!  That's a nice haul.  And the same guy had the V60's?  Nice.  I would have loved those.  Just running out of room for more gear.  Time to finally sell some stuff.

Also, with your new RM-2's, you probably need to adjust and re-tune the passive radiator, for your room and equipment.  Time to putty pinch.  So, try adding some rope caulk to the passive, to see if bass improves.  You could add a couple inches of rope, and then pinch it back, to tune the bass.  Do each speaker, one at a time, to balance the 2's to your room.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48102.msg686969#msg686969

simon wagstaff

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2018, 03:19 pm »
The V60s were more than I wanted to deal with, and no guarantee I had everything that I needed, though I think it was all there. They donated them to a music school. Lord knows what they will do with them. Sell them off even cheaper? The guys father was moving into a nursing home. They had no idea what this stuff was. Enjoy while you can!

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2018, 06:54 pm »
Yes, that looks like it, but there is no switch on it for bi-amping? It's in a plain black cabinet. I have jumpers in between the two sets of terminals.

Some time ago I talked Brian out of the "switch", because it was unneeded and impacted the signal.  After that, he included the jumpers for single amping, and dumped the switch.

Yes, well I picked these up for $500 and a pair of 626R for $400 with some stands that I thought were metal, but just wood. I am not getting the bass out of them that I expected, though it is very tight and smooth. The planar mids are very nice, so detailed! I have adjusted the lpads, still need some work on those. I have run room correction and have a pair of smaller VMPS subs that I am working on getting integrated properly. I thought they would be decent secondary speakers, but I am beginning to think they will take center stage.

For best results, also "gently" rotate EACH L-Pad from one stop to the other maybe 20-30 times to clear some of the oxidation on the wipers.

The 626 had the round, flat tweeter and carbon fiber woofer.

The guy also had a pair of V60's that were very tempting. He went down to $2000 but they were just too big, and as set up they required the external 24/96 digital crossover. With all the boxes for the crossovers it looked a little intimidating to get set up correctly, and then I would need to get my subs in the picture somehow. I am sure it was a fantastic deal, but just too much to take a chance on.

Those should have come with an OXO (Outboard analog XO) 

So, the piano black cabinet and lack of switch (unless the switch is hidden somewhere) for bi-amping might indicate this is an early version of the SDE?

More likely a LATER version, since only the earlier had the switch.

GREAT SCORE!! :thumb:

Were the V-60 Rosewood?

What state/city were these?

simon wagstaff

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2018, 07:12 pm »
Silver Spring, Md. I think rosewood, they were in nice shape with outboard crossovers, unmarked. It woukd have meant renting a truck, and my room is too small I think.

Will rotate the lpads, still adjusting them. The tweeter was maxed out, its much more in line now.

Sounding good!

Stimpy

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2018, 08:25 pm »

Were the V-60 Rosewood?

What state/city were these?

The V-60's looked to be intact, from the eBay auction pictures.  But, it was just for the mid high towers.  The passive crossovers were included.  No subs.  Though, there was a separate auction for a single low-boy Larger.  The V- 60's were Rosewood and the sub was black.  The V-60's started at $3K, and dropped to $2K.  The sub started at $525, and dropped to $350.  Evidently, neither sold, as the auctions were removed!   :o. There's links to both auctions in my For Sale thread. 

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2018, 08:28 pm »
The V-60's looked to be intact, from the eBay auction pictures.  But, it was just for the mid high towers.  The passive crossovers were included.  No subs.  Though, there was a separate auction for a single low-boy Larger.  The V- 60's were Rosewood and the sub was black.  The V-60's started at $3K, and dropped to $2K.  The sub started at $525, and dropped to $350.  Evidently, neither sold, as the auctions were removed!   :o. There's links to both auctions in my For Sale thread.

I know all of those speakers, I placed them years ago.

A veritable TREASURE to a VMPS enthusiast.

At that price, make sure no Law Enforcement is close by at purchase  :lol: :lol:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2018, 09:47 pm »
They are being donated to a local school. I am sure if somebody wanted them they could be had.

Stimpy

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2018, 12:04 am »
It's great the speakers were donated to charity.  But, I just hope they'll be well treated?  It breaks my heart to think about blown ribbon tweeters, damaged mids, with holes poked in the diaphragms, and over-driven mid-bass woofers.  With finally, destroyed towers, trashed in a dumpster!  As I said, I hope not.  And if I had the spare cash, I'd be listening to them now, as I'm in Virginia, and the speakers would be a day trip, to pick up, and get back home again.    :notworthy:

ZAKski288

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2018, 02:25 am »
Hello John, do you have an idea of how many pairs of RM V60 are out there. Thank Ken

simon wagstaff

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2018, 12:46 pm »
The RM2s are starting to sound very nice. I am wondering about the passive radiators. Would there be an upgrade available for them, or is it good as it is?  All of the other drivers are in good shape, I can't see the PR and not sure what version the RM2's that I have would have in them.

When I upgraded my smaller subs with the mega-mega woofers and big bump PR the dust cap on one of the PRs fell off. Looked like it was held in place with hot melt glue, so that's what I used to repair them. Seem fine now.

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2018, 02:25 pm »
Hello John, do you have an idea of how many pairs of RM V60 are out there. Thank Ken

I would guess 20 - 30 pair at most.

Stimpy

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2018, 02:47 pm »
The RM2s are starting to sound very nice. I am wondering about the passive radiators. Would there be an upgrade available for them, or is it good as it is?  All of the other drivers are in good shape, I can't see the PR and not sure what version the RM2's that I have would have in them.

When I upgraded my smaller subs with the mega-mega woofers and big bump PR the dust cap on one of the PRs fell off. Looked like it was held in place with hot melt glue, so that's what I used to repair them. Seem fine now.

Many (some) were starting to use the CSS brand of passive radiators.  They were available mainly on eBay, then disappeared.  They're now available again, direct from the manufacturer, Creative Sound Solutions.  I'm not sure if they're a drop-in fit, or if they requirement any modification to the mounting hole?

Here's 12" passive, that you'd need for the RM-2's.

https://www.css-audio.com/product-page/css-apr12-12-passive-radiator