Matching center channel for x-arrays?

ak645

Matching center channel for x-arrays?
« on: 27 Dec 2008, 01:19 am »
 Thinking about trying some home theater so a center channel speaker is needed to match my xt-6 arrays.However weight,placement and budget are issues.The speaker needs to go on a glass shelf underneath my Sony LCD,so only about a foot off the floor and 25 pounds or so is the max weight the shelf will support.

The way I see it a ribbon tweeter wouldn't work due to the poor vertical dispersion.And the traditional sideways mtm is usually shunned for its comb filter effects.Even with perfectly matched drivers and optimum positioning,would it really be able to match the sound of a line array? So I was actually considering a coaxial like the seas loki which works for me in a number of ways.

So the question is,how much can a clever crossover and cabinet design make up for totally mis-matched drivers? Could it be done? Other suggstions?

Andy

kip_

Re: Matching center channel for x-arrays?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 03:27 am »
Might I suggest the MF7 which uses the same driver as the Madisound Loki? I don't think you will need to worry about voicing too much if you are only watching movies. Rick's implementation is very neutral with great off-axis response, and even with a virtual center dialogue is very intelligible. If you watch lots of concert dvds or listen to multichannel music then I think timbre matching would be more of a concern. One MF7 weighs about 15lbs or so in a ported cabinet.

ak645

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2008, 11:47 am »
 Harrumph,I didn't know about the MF7.I was looking under center channel instead of monitor on Selah website.Those look perfect for me if Rick can get a reasonable match.It's for movies only so reasonable should be close enough.

Thanks for your help Kip! I'll even be using similar amplification,a HK AVR-254,for center and surrounds.Will try to phone Rick today.

Andy

ak645

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm »
 Update-ordered the MF7 in black and Marantz 6003 receiver.If anyone's interested 6ave.com has 25% off all non clearance receivers.Use AFLAUD25 coupon.

Andy