Cherry amps versus LFD, ASR emitter and other nice class A/B designs

RCduck7

I'm very intrested in class D (had ice power) but missed that extra touch of soul and musicality that class A/B designs can deliver.
Does anyone here compared the cherry amp to an LFD, ASR Emitter or any other well received class A/B design??
Are the Cherry's different? I'm especially intrested in the upcoming Maraschino amps.

RCduck7

Cherry versus a good class A/B design anyone??

watercourse

I've compared the Cherry Plus to the Pass Labs X150.5. The Cherry Plus has faster dynamics, microdynamics, and detail retrieval with my speakers. However, the Pass gave fuller sounding bass, warmth, and a more relaxed yet detailed presentation: it's not smoothed over, even though most of the time it runs in Class A.

It really is down to your preferences, so try to listen to the amps you're considering if you can. My buddy that introduced me to Pass Labs in his setup will probably move from the X250 to another AB amp, for the very characteristics that the Cherry provided in my system that I moved away from. He had ICE-based Class D before the Pass gear. I heard the new amp in his place, which sounded excellent. I also realized that for me, the relaxed character and more full sound were a better match in my room with my speakers, and more important than an increase in dynamics, extension, and speed.

Also, his speakers are much less revealing than mine, especially the tweeters, so what is a good match in one system could become a yawner or an ear-bleeder in another.

RCduck7

Before i started this thread i emailed tommy for more info & specs on the new upcoming Maraschino Cherry mono amps. He provided info together with his PayPal account to buy a pair. I was tempted to buy and asked him how much 5 of these monos would cost to complete a surround system with them and if there was any reduction at pre order. It's been 6 days now and heard nothing from Tommy. Mailed him again 2 days ago but still nothing. It sure is hard to buy a Cherry isn't it?  :? Or is it even possible?  :roll:

RCduck7

I've compared the Cherry Plus to the Pass Labs X150.5. The Cherry Plus has faster dynamics, microdynamics, and detail retrieval with my speakers. However, the Pass gave fuller sounding bass, warmth, and a more relaxed yet detailed presentation: it's not smoothed over, even though most of the time it runs in Class A.

It really is down to your preferences, so try to listen to the amps you're considering if you can. My buddy that introduced me to Pass Labs in his setup will probably move from the X250 to another AB amp, for the very characteristics that the Cherry provided in my system that I moved away from. He had ICE-based Class D before the Pass gear. I heard the new amp in his place, which sounded excellent. I also realized that for me, the relaxed character and more full sound were a better match in my room with my speakers, and more important than an increase in dynamics, extension, and speed.

Also, his speakers are much less revealing than mine, especially the tweeters, so what is a good match in one system could become a yawner or an ear-bleeder in another.

The speakers i use are not to bright sounding so i guess the cherry's won't be ear- bleeding. In my 2nd system i have planar tweeters that give lots of detail and never sounded harsch, but that's something that dome tweeters don't easely provide. As for what i have read in the reviews, the cherry amps would be closer to class A/B then most class D amps. I think i would give them a chance since the "digital amplifier company" offers a 30 day trial period. Now is tommy been bussy going to an audi show or something?? I can't get seem to get hold of him.  :icon_lol:

watercourse

Oh and in case I didn't make it clear, I've owned the Jr. and Plus amps for years, and neither were ear-bleeding. Poor choice of words - what I really meant to say was ymmv, one size does not fit all, know your system and most importantly what you're looking for. My speakers have the Esotar tweeters - also very extended and detailed but not harsh.
And revealing does not equate to harsh-sounding in my book, it simply means the ability to reflect the changes made upstream easily, consistently, and truthfully. Tommy's amps are revealing but not harsh. My speakers are also very revealing, but I needed a different balance to make me happy. However, that doesn't mean that a piece of equipment that is harsh (or insert the adjective of your choice) in your system will always be harsh... Get my drift? It's really important to try out gear in your system, and Tommy does offer a trial period.

RCduck7

Ah, get it.

If tommy is reading also on audiocircle, then please CONTACT ME!!

watercourse

This has happened before when Tommy was deep in R&D mode... one of the users here had to ping him via text before he got out of the labcoat and put on his sales apron.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Ah, get it.

If tommy is reading also on audiocircle, then please CONTACT ME!!

Sent a PM.....  Sorry for the delay.  Very busy this past week, but that's a good thing.....

watercourse

Tommy, you're just lucky I didn't call it a sales frock behind your back

RCduck7

I just reserved a pair of Cherry Maraschino mono amps from Tommy! :D
And when they are ready for release they will be going to Belgium!