Driver Longevity

rmarcks

Driver Longevity
« on: 3 May 2017, 01:51 pm »
Quality speaker drivers will provide years, perhaps decades of enjoyment.  But they are still electromechanical (emphasis on mechanical) devices.  Most mechanical devices eventually wear out (oh my aching back!). 

Primary question:  Do drivers degrade over time?  Do they simply wear out?  I would think that mechanically, they would.  If so, would replacement be worth it?

Rationale for asking: I have a 1985 pair of Mission Argonauts.  All drivers are still available.  I changed the tweeter domes from the the original poly to cloth.  Really made a positive difference.  I also stiffened the cabinets and had new crossovers built...also a big positive.

The original woofers are still available.  I am not completely satisfied with the sound so am considering four options: 1) status quo (always an option), 2) replace woofers with new originals since they are still available.  Also, the diameter is somewhat unique and it is proving difficult to find a direct drop-in other than the original, 3) replace with an upgraded driver (I found one I think I'll like and it will fit if I leave off the original driver trim), 4) new speakers (I will eventually purchase Joseph Audio Perspectives, but not for some time).

I have not abused my speakers with loud distorted music, but I did leave the hobby for several years, so of their 30+ yr age, they were nearly (but not totally) unused for nearly15 yrs.  (Yeah...I left the hobby for a bit  :? )

So...an investment of about $400 or less would replace the drivers in kind.  A bit more than twice that would give me what appears to be a much nicer driver.

Opinions? 

roscoe65

Re: Driver Longevity
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2017, 02:08 pm »
You're asking if it is worth it to replace your current drivers for $400, or upgrade to a much nicer driver for $900 (more or less)?  The question to ask yourself is if you are going to end up with a speaker that sounds as good or better than a currently available (new or used) speaker that would cost you $900.  I think you can do better than upgrading your current speakers.  I had a pair of small Missions in the 1980's.  They were nice but not that nice.

I think your money is better spent with a used pair of Snell Type E or Vandersteen 2Ci.

borism

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2017, 02:34 pm »
Unless there is some visible or clearly audible problem/degradation with the drivers I would not replace them now. Enjoy your current speakers as they are and save up for a new speaker. This way it may happen sooner.

Just my opinion.

walkern

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2017, 03:38 pm »
I don't see any point in you buying new versions of the drivers you already have.  Those 'new' drivers are probably just about the same age as yours.  They simply haven't been used.  The magnets on your woofers may lose a tiny bit of force generating power as they age, but that would take centuries.  Your voice coils shouldn't wear out (although the varnish holding them on the formers may bubble or deteriorate... if this were happening they would rub as the cone moved, and you'd hear it as distortion).  The cone materials will probably last for many more decades.  The surrounds on the cones may lose some flexibility or become stiffer over time (or they may rot as open cell foam does), but again, you'd hear distortion if the cones were not centering the voice coils in the gaps.  Woofers (and mids and tweeters) are mechanical devices, but unless they are subject to abuse or damage from overloading them, they should last longer than most of us will live (with the exception of ferrofluid in the gaps in tweeters that does tend to dry out over time).

Dropping in replacement drivers different from your originals will no doubt change the sound (and may require changing the crossovers), but I'm not sure how you'd know whether the sound change would be an improvement or not until you made your investment and started listening.  Sounds a little 'iffy' to me.  Save your $ for speakers you know will be more satisfying, and enjoy what you have as much as possible until you can afford the Perspectives (or what ever floats your boat).

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2017, 04:20 pm »
The driver electronic components can last decades.  I suspect that the speakers you have just need to be used again.  Unless it is visibly and sonically challenged, there is no point of changing drivers.  How many people I see hoarding components for speakers that are decades old?  Sooner rather than later, they all unload them without ever being used.

There have been many advances since 1985...meaning, there might be other speakers you might be interested in now.  But, if the Argonauts work well, why do anything to them?  Enjoy them.   :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2017, 05:31 pm »
For 400, I'm sure something like an ELAC B4 would be much better than those Missions though without the lowest of the bass - and I'm sure others here would have their suggestions - especially if you're willing to spend $800.

rmarcks

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2017, 01:19 pm »
Thanks all. 

I was able to confirm through other sources that replacing the drivers in kind will result in a significantly audible improvement and naturally, upgrading the drivers will do the same probably more so depending upon the driver.  My  Non-Audiophile friends think they're fantastic as is.  However, I think they can be improved, I'll just have to decide whether or not I really want to.

The Argonauts do sound good...but their midrange is a bit heavy for my tastes on certain music and they're not as open as my friend's J.A. Perspectives.  Of course they're not....we're talking $1700 worth of drivers in the Perspectives vs $400 in the Argonauts (plus crossovers, although my rebuilt crossovers are quite nice).

Oh well...it's summer time when I suspend my audio hobby and live on my Sailboat on Lake Erie.  I guess I'll pick this up again in September.

Thanks again...and I think I will look into some of the speaker suggestions some of you made.