« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2011, 12:34 am »
Hello finsup,

I guess I don't understand why you feel this is important.  :scratch:

Lin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: what about speakers from Decware?
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2011, 01:36 am »
Years ago (before AC or even Harmonic Discord) the Decware site was much busier.  But it seems the 2 wpc amp niche has been filled and as mentioned above, many of the faithful are happily listening. 

I honestly tried for years to get into Decware, but 2 wpc (even 12 wpc that Steve finally came out with) wasn't enough for the speakers I finally chose.  And like most of the SET crowd, they seem to run scared of deep bass (I really don't see myself as a basshead) as it can quickly suck a small amp dry.  Similarly his speakers tend to be bass shy too (at least for my taste and I run single driver speakers with no sub).

Steve now offers a whopping 25 wpc amp that is beautiful inside and out.  But it costs $2500 and he advises that you should spend more for source and speakers, so this is pointing towards a five figure system which is too rich for my blood.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2011, 12:35 pm by JLM »

gary

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2011, 03:04 am »
I'm now a new Decware customer... ordered the 2W SE84ZS with v-caps and I should get it next week. Ought to be a perfect match for my Bastanis speakers since they're uber efficient and have powered woofers. These new drivers look interesting too... I could definitely see myself trying them in the near future.

Gary

doorman

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:54 am »
I'm now a new Decware customer... ordered the 2W SE84ZS with v-caps and I should get it next week. Ought to be a perfect match for my Bastanis speakers since they're uber efficient and have powered woofers. These new drivers look interesting too... I could definitely see myself trying them in the near future.

Gary
Congrats on your purchase. These are superior amps when partnered with appropriate gear!
Happy Listening--
Best, Don

finsup

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:59 am »
Hello finsup,

I guess I don't understand why you feel this is important.  :scratch:

Lin

Hi Lin,

Well, reading through that thread, one gets the sense that there is a certain amount of bewilderment about why the Decware brand isn't more widely accepted. You'll see terms like "derision, and incredulity, and frustration".  Some of the members feel a little embattled -- especially with the comments following that CNET comparison of a 2-watt Decware amp and a 500 watt Bel Canto amp.  Mind you, the review was pretty favorable to the Decware amp, given its limitations.

If the Decware owners want to keep to themselves, that is their decision.  If I was Steve Dekart, I might wonder what additional sales might be generated by having a Circle at AC.   So, I suppose it is important only in the sense that I am trying to offer a possible solution to the OPs furstation about the cold shoulder Decware products get.  I think AC is the perfect place for a Decware forum.  Of course, keep the web site, but the fourms would probably be more effective over here.

Lin, I see that you have a version of their RL-3s.  Have you posted anywhere about your experiences with those speakers?  I have been thinking about their ERRs, but seeing your speakers, I wonder what the extra coin has to offer?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:23 pm »
Hi Lin,

Well, reading through that thread, one gets the sense that there is a certain amount of bewilderment about why the Decware brand isn't more widely accepted. You'll see terms like "derision, and incredulity, and frustration".  Some of the members feel a little embattled -- especially with the comments following that CNET comparison of a 2-watt Decware amp and a 500 watt Bel Canto amp.  Mind you, the review was pretty favorable to the Decware amp, given its limitations.

All of the posters comment on "listening" as being key (and the OP opened with this, "If I were a less tenacious and opinionated person, I might have an easier time with life."). Most of us are willing to change our system when we hear obvious improvements, but very few are willing when it comes to subtle differences that takes time to hear and time to adjust our thinking to, most just move on.  A circle on a forum will not change that, on 2 different forums you have spoken of the 2w amp's "limitations".

If the Decware owners want to keep to themselves, that is their decision.  If I was Steve Deckert, I might wonder what additional sales might be generated by having a Circle at AC.   So, I suppose it is important only in the sense that I am trying to offer a possible solution to the OPs furstation about the cold shoulder Decware products get.  I think AC is the perfect place for a Decware forum.  Of course, keep the web site, but the fourms would probably be more effective over here.

I'm not sure "more" exposure will change anything for Decware (there are a few manufacturers forums here that are no more active than his), it is obvious from the C-Net replies that most of them have never heard a tube amp and wouldn't even consider one. The 2nd and 3rd posts on AN were negative.
I also think Steve is (mostly) as busy as he wants to be.

Lin, I see that you have a version of their RL-3s.  Have you posted anywhere about your experiences with those speakers?  I have been thinking about their ERRs, but seeing your speakers, I wonder what the extra coin has to offer?

No I have not, currently I'm driving them with one of Decware's 2w amps and I have not posted any comments about it either.
If you look at my picture to the left you will see my SAS Audio Labs EL156 UL mono amps which I think are right up there with the best amps I have ever heard, but again no comments (other than this one).

I'm not much of a grandiose writer and I tend to rewrite/edit so much that the time involved to make a few paragraphs is overwhelming.
Plus, I have read so many people waxing poetic about pieces of gear that I wouldn't recommend to an enemy, so it boils down to hearing for oneself anyhow.

We read the same C-Net review, you thought it was "pretty favorable" I disagree, just different opinions.
Steve G said, "The REF500S was clearly more accurate-sounding than the Zen.......The Zen is more musical"  :scratch:
Is he saying music doesn't sound accurate? Or gear that makes music sound more musical is flawed somehow?
His "review" was of no value at all to me and IMO possibly misleading to others, but I have no horse in this race (I make no money from the sales of either amp and I make no money from posting my opinions on forums).

Lin

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:56 pm »

I had Turning Point Audio HR-1s (which I believe are based on the now discontinued RL3s~same builder).
They are IMO a very good speaker with many +s and few -s, if one enjoys what a radial and a no crossover design brings to the experience you can't go wrong with either model. I was able to buy a demo/b-stock pair for less $ than the ERRs so I have not taken the time to compare to give meaningful comment on the differences.
FWIW Lon thinks they (HR-1s) are the best speakers he has ever heard (paired with Decware amps of course  :lol: ).

Lin
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2011, 07:22 pm by opnly bafld »

rivieraranch

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:53 am »
I own DECWARE MG944 speakers and listen to them proudly. They are ideal for me.

I do not think that Steve Deckert wants to become a huge volume producer if he can't have some time left to enjoy what he is doing; which is why he does this in the first place. Also, he needs time for research and development of new products for his flock. Add to that the need to study the performance of products already released to the marketplace, so they can be tweaked and updated. Therefore, I do not envision them tooting their horn so loud as to disrupt their business model, which seems to be a relatively peaceful one. That is probably where the Zen name and idea came from.

I think they will always have enough new customers and existing customers upgrading to keep them in business for a long time.

I disagree that the demand for single ended amps has peaked. There is no evidence of that.

mirekti

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2016, 11:58 pm »
Well, it has been almost six years since someone put any word on this topic. I wondered if there are any HR-1 speaker owners on the forum.
I found a bit of information on their own forum, but would like to hear both sides, owners and those who listened to these and didn't like them.

JLM

« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:36 am »
I was an active poster on the Decware forum about 15 years ago.  From what I understand Steve has no formal electronics education (as evidenced by his unusual designs).  And he was caught early on exaggerating specifications so all told his gear has been shunned by the mainstream.  Since then he's been very hesitant to allow professional reviews.  He is a tinkerer, designing by trial and error, and issues fairly frequent equipment updates.  From my experience he gear sounds very good but does underestimate the needed speaker efficiency for his amps and his speakers are very bass light.  I tried one of his amps, that had just come from repairs (?) but it had a nasty distortion.  That aside it did have great tube palpability but very flabby bass (pretty much the opposite of what he promotes).
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2016, 10:32 am by JLM »

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:45 am »
My buddy Rex bought the DIY plans for the DNA Horns and he is very happy. Plans-$19.95
Parts-$300

Steve uses the Acoustat Monitor Iv's as a reference. Those are still one of the best speakers ever built.

JLM

« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2016, 10:31 am »
Heard his Acoustats (in his small/highly designed room) years ago and very sorry to say couldn't get past the vinyl surface noise to give it a listen.  (Just can't tolerate it, like finger nails on caulk board, which is part of why I switched to CD's early on and haven't looked back).

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:23 am »
From my experience he gear sounds very good but does underestimate the needed speaker efficiency for his amps and his speakers are very bass light.

Agreed. My friend owned a Decware Tori amp a few years ago and it was underpowered, even for the high efficiency speakers he bought for them. I brought my 300 wpc SS amp to his house to compare, and it was no contest, even at low volume.   

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:09 pm »
Heard his Acoustats (in his small/highly designed room) years ago and very sorry to say couldn't get past the vinyl surface noise to give it a listen.  (Just can't tolerate it, like finger nails on caulk board, which is part of why I switched to CD's early on and haven't looked back).

The cons of the Acoustats is they reveal any flaws in your system. They are still SOTA  today.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:31 pm »
Decware remain sticky to small output tubes, an additional power from 6C33 or GM70 tubes would enlarge the useful range from his amps.
Most his amps are stereo, no mono, only the top price amp are mono.

mirekti

« Reply #35 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but I was wondering about the speakers, specifically HR-1, not so much about the amps.
I really like the idea behind this hybrid model, but it is really hard to find any info outside Decware's forum.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #36 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but I was wondering about the speakers, specifically HR-1, not so much about the amps.
I really like the idea behind this hybrid model, but it is really hard to find any info outside Decware's forum.
My favor Decware speaker is the late MG944, others are exotic and need listen before purchase imo. Hard to find used.

sunnydaze

« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:12 pm »
Could this be driving the sudden interest out of left field?    Hmmmmm........     :scratch:   

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-decware-hr-1-prototypes-2016-10-24-speakers-61108-rockford-il

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:47 pm »
I was an active poster on the Decware forum about 15 years ago.  From what I understand Steve has no formal electronics education (as evidenced by his unusual designs).  And he was caught early on exaggerating specifications so all told his gear has been shunned by the mainstream.  Since then he's been very hesitant to allow professional reviews.  He is a tinkerer, designing by trial and error, and issues fairly frequent equipment updates.  From my experience he gear sounds very good but does underestimate the needed speaker efficiency for his amps and his speakers are very bass light.  I tried one of his amps, that had just come from repairs (?) but it had a nasty distortion.  That aside it did have great tube palpability but very flabby bass (pretty much the opposite of what he promotes).
This is not any demerit on the the contrary, Steve is one of the greats of tube audio.
Bob Carver also is not an electronic or electrical engineer, he is a physicist and has the maximum honor to have humiliated the cynics of that famous Hai-Endi magazine.
His Carver Amazing is the best speaker I have listen, put to shame any Maggie, ML and Eminent.

mirekti

« Reply #39 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:23 pm »
Could this be driving the sudden interest out of left field?    Hmmmmm........     :scratch:   

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-decware-hr-1-prototypes-2016-10-24-speakers-61108-rockford-il

It is a local pickup only and I live in Dallas, TX. A good found, though.