Upgrade

0425antgray

Upgrade
« on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:37 am »
I have a set of Songtowers hooked up to a Yamaha AS 1000 integrated amp, as well as a set of subwoofers. I use JRIVER flac files from my laptop and a Meridian Explorer DAC. I use this system for music only. I am happy with the sound, but would one day like to upgrade. I'm looking at the silk monitors or possibly the supercharged songtowers. Would these speakers really sound significantly better? I have a small dedicated listening space 10 x 11. As of now I'm leaning towards the silks. The driver quality paired with the Raal tweeter seems like a great little speaker, and I do have the subs to help with the low end. I am also thinking of getting a better integrated amp, possibly the Wells Audio Majestic. So right now I'm just asking everyone for some thoughts and opinions. Once I'm financially ready, I'll contact Jim and see if there are any silk or supercharged owners in the Houston area. I bought the songtowers without an audition, but this time I think it would be wise to audition first. I was hoping to keep my budget for speakers under 4,000.The veracity ST are just a bit pricey for me. I listen to a lot of hard rock, techno,and industrial, electronic music mostly. Occasionally I will throw on some mozart, and jazz. I do consider myself a critical listener , even with rock and electronic music. And so far I have really enjoyed my listening sessions with the Songtowers.

0425antgray

Re: Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:41 am »
Also anyone understand the difference between the silk and silk AT monitors , as far as sound quality  and performance? Jim....... Dennis....?

0425antgray

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2016, 02:23 pm »
Honestly even without an audition I'd still be interested in buying the silks. I have a lot of confidence in Salk products.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2016, 03:03 pm »
Also anyone understand the difference between the silk and silk AT monitors , as far as sound quality  and performance? Jim....... Dennis....?

We had some AudioTechnology drivers that we purchased for another project but never used.  AudioTechnology is run by the same family that started ScanSpeak and Dynaudio and their drivers are featured in some of the most famous brands in the world.

Due to the success of the Silk Monitors, we thought we may as well build a version of this speaker with the AT woofers.

The resulting AT cabinets are larger and the Silk AT's don't as deep as the original version.  But they are more sensitive, so they don't require quite as much amplifier power.  Both are extremely high performance speakers.  So it basically the differences come down to physical size, bass extension and sensitivity with the originals excelling at the first two and the AT version excelling in the sensitivity department.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

0425antgray

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2016, 04:27 pm »
We had some AudioTechnology drivers that we purchased for another project but never used.  AudioTechnology is run by the same family that started ScanSpeak and Dynaudio and their drivers are featured in some of the most famous brands in the world.

Due to the success of the Silk Monitors, we thought we may as well build a version of this speaker with the AT woofers.

The resulting AT cabinets are larger and the Silk AT's don't as deep as the original version.  But they are more sensitive, so they don't require quite as much amplifier power.  Both are extremely high performance speakers.  So it basically the differences come down to physical size, bass extension and sensitivity with the originals excelling at the first two and the AT version excelling in the sensitivity department.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

0425antgray

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2016, 04:29 pm »
Yes , thank you!

Ashfall

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2016, 04:52 pm »
So there are two of us in the Houston area planning on a Salk purchase right now!   :icon_lol:

My room is slightly larger than yours, how have the Songtowers performed for you?

0425antgray

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2016, 05:16 pm »
So there are two of us in the Houston area planning on a Salk purchase right now!   :icon_lol:

My room is slightly larger than yours, how have the Songtowers performed for you?

They have performed excellently the stereo Imaging is great, the detail is excellent .I have the Hiquphon OW-2 tweeter and it's very smooth and the dispersion and off axis is great! I have a very very slight toe in and I'm getting a very strong Center image with them. The only addition I've thrown in for my stereo setup are two subwoofers. I did a lot of auditioning and research and for the money I don't think I could find a speaker that performs better than these. I Can Only Imagine what some of the more expensive Salk speakers could sound like when the songtowers sound so good

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2016, 06:21 pm »
I have a set of Songtowers…

I'm looking at the silk monitors or possibly the supercharged songtowers. Would these speakers really sound significantly better?
I recently replaced standard dome tweeter SongTowers (ST) with Veracity ST (VST).

Both speakers’ sound resembles each other more than they differ, especially across the whole midrange.  Overall, the VST shares the balance of the ST – it isn't brighter sounding than the ST.  I believe the same would apply to the SuperCharged ST (SCST) or the Silk Monitor, although I haven't heard those speakers.

These are the differences I've noticed between the VST and the ST:
  • The VST has lower bass, 33-34 Hz vs. 40 Hz for the ST.
  • The VST has a cleaner, more detailed sound, perhaps because its drivers distort less.
  • The VST has a very clean sounding ribbon tweeter.  I’ve heard this enough to be sure it is better sounding than the excellent dome of the ST.  Not all music allows me to pick this feature out, but on the right tracks it becomes easy to tell the difference.  Imagine a fault-free tweeter.  (This ribbon tweeter is the same on the SCST and the Silk.)
  • The VST is slightly less sensitive, but over all seems to have bit larger dynamic range than the ST.
  • The ST has slightly warmer sounding upper bass/lower midrange.  This is pleasant sounding, not an undesirable coloration.  I was never aware of it before comparing it directly to the VST.
Overall, I'm very pleased with the new VSTs.

I would say, the SCST could also do as well as the VST.  It uses 5½" Seas magnesium alloy woofers instead of the 6" version used in the VST.  These should result in a similarly detailed sound as in the VST, but might result in somewhat less dynamic range, especially in the bass.  With a subwoofer, this may not be a problem at all.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2016, 09:00 pm by R Swerdlow »

0425antgray

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2016, 05:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for the response. Just a side note , for those unfamiliar with JRIVER. I highly recommend giving it a try if you use a pc for music. As long as you have a dac to use with your computer  in your system jriver has some excellent features .

audiocrazy

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2016, 06:30 pm »
Thanks everyone for the response. Just a side note , for those unfamiliar with JRIVER. I highly recommend giving it a try if you use a pc for music. As long as you have a dac to use with your computer  in your system jriver has some excellent features .
I used JRiver for quite a few years but after trying Roon + HQPlayer few months ago I'm hooked. There is no going back unless there is a better alternative. The rich interface and easy of finding music is simply amazing.
Although its much pricer than JRiver.

0425antgray

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:51 pm »
I recently replaced standard dome tweeter SongTowers (ST) with Veracity ST (VST).

Both speakers’ sound resembles each other more than they differ, especially across the whole midrange.  Overall, the VST shares the balance of the ST – it isn't brighter sounding than the ST.  I believe the same would apply to the SuperCharged ST (SCST) or the Silk Monitor, although I haven't heard those speakers.

These are the differences I've noticed between the VST and the ST:
  • The VST has lower bass, 33-34 Hz vs. 40 Hz for the ST.
  • The VST has a cleaner, more detailed sound, perhaps because its drivers distort less.
  • The VST has a very clean sounding ribbon tweeter.  I’ve heard this enough to be sure it is better sounding than the excellent dome of the ST.  Not all music allows me to pick this feature out, but on the right tracks it becomes easy to tell the difference.  Imagine a fault-free tweeter.  (This ribbon tweeter is the same on the SCST and the Silk.)
  • The VST is slightly less sensitive, but over all seems to have bit larger dynamic range than the ST.
  • The ST has slightly warmer sounding upper bass/lower midrange.  This is pleasant sounding, not an undesirable coloration.  I was never aware of it before comparing it directly to the VST.
Overall, I'm very pleased with the new VSTs.

I would say, the SCST could also do as well as the VST.  It uses 5½" Seas magnesium alloy woofers instead of the 6" version used in the VST.  These should result in a similarly detailed sound as in the VST, but might result in somewhat less dynamic range, especially in the bass.  With a subwoofer, this may not be a problem at all.

Awesome, thanks for sharing that detailed review. In your set up do you use a subwoofer? Do you feel the need for one with the new speakers? And what kind of amp / gear are you using to power them? Thanks

0425antgray

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:09 am »
Based on the reviews I've read, the VST does not need a subwoofer. Compared to the song Tower the bass has more weight,  heft and is tighter. One of these days I'll audition one.

Joe Frances

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2016, 01:13 am »
I haven't had a chance to hear the Silks, but I have heard the Wells Majestic.  It is a very fine amplifier that is solid state. but close to tubes in presentation. They are a little dark, a little sweet and very clear and vivid. Not as close to tubes as the spectacular Lavardin integrateds, but almost as good for less than have the price.  Jim says the Salk Silks and the Wells Majestic make a near perfect combination. 

0425antgray

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2016, 05:04 am »
I haven't had a chance to hear the Silks, but I have heard the Wells Majestic.  It is a very fine amplifier that is solid state. but close to tubes in presentation. They are a little dark, a little sweet and very clear and vivid. Not as close to tubes as the spectacular Lavardin integrateds, but almost as good for less than have the price.  Jim says the Salk Silks and the Wells Majestic make a near perfect combination.

Yes that's what I heard from jim as well. Its most likely what I will get one day, when I upgrade. Thanks for sharing. The majestic does sound like a well regarded piece of equipment. Anyone else out there had any experiences they would like to share about the Salk Silks? Any owners out there?

R Swerdlow

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2016, 03:49 pm »
Awesome, thanks for sharing that detailed review. In your set up do you use a subwoofer? Do you feel the need for one with the new speakers? And what kind of amp / gear are you using to power them? Thanks
I have a DIY 12" subwoofer, but for music, the Veracity STs don't need it.  I do use it for some movies.

My set uses a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player for all discs and downloads, hooked to an older B&K AVR-507 receiver.  I have an external amp, a B&K EX4420, 200 wpc, that drives the VSTs.  I owned that amp before getting the VSTs and although its probably more powerful than needed, the speakers easily handle the power without strain.

0425antgray

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2016, 05:09 pm »
I have a DIY 12" subwoofer, but for music, the Veracity STs don't need it.  I do use it for some movies.

My set uses a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player for all discs and downloads, hooked to an older B&K AVR-507 receiver.  I have an external amp, a B&K EX4420, 200 wpc, that drives the VSTs.  I owned that amp before getting the VSTs and although its probably more powerful than needed, the speakers easily handle the power without strain.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Happy listening!

0425antgray

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2016, 03:19 pm »
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2016, 04:22 pm by 0425antgray »

0425antgray

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:20 am »
I tried listening to my songtowers without subs, and it's actually still pretty musical on the low end. More uniform from top to bottom this way. However I do think my bass traps are helping out a bit as well.

0425antgray

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2016, 04:05 am »
I tried listening to my songtowers without subs, and it's actually still pretty musical on the low end. More uniform from top to bottom this way. However I do think my bass traps are helping out a bit as well.

My subwoofers still add a weight and depth however that the songtowers will obviously  never reach. I was just curious how they fared solo. I'll most likely get my subs back in the room again. I prefer the sound with the subs.