VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

rbbert

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #680 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:41 am »
VMPS RM40 Speakers in great shape  -  (Portland, OR)  $2000

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/5693270623.html

"Asking Price: $2,200.00 New Retail Price: $4,600.00
Amazing pair of VMPs RM40 speakers in excellent condition."

These are my old ones, with one of the upper woofers replaced with an extra from James  :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #681 on: 7 Aug 2016, 04:16 am »
Do you think the 10" blew from being over powered or was the amp over driven (clipping)? 

rbbert

« Reply #682 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:09 pm »
Do you think the 10" blew from being over powered or was the amp over driven (clipping)?

It's embarrassing to admit, but it was self-inflicted.  When the phase plug fell off (as they all do eventually on thr RM-40), I got some putty (just a tiny tiny speck) between the voice coil and the cone.  No problem until it was playing nice and loud one night and a high bass note came along and BZZZZ!  I looked, found and removed the piece of putty, but it was too late apparently; from then one anything loud in that frequency range and you could hear the distortion.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #683 on: 7 Aug 2016, 04:48 pm »
Interesting.  Sorry the phase plug adhesive failed, leading to your blown 10".

More recently, the subject of phase plug pros and cons came up with another successful loudspeaker designer I know well.  There is at least one good engineering strike against their use.  IIRC, sound waves can and do reflect off the plug, back into the cone, causing some form of audible distortion.  Frankly, I forgot the reasons supporting their use now. 

Back in the day I had opportunities to hear Brian's mid bass drivers with vs. without the plug, but based on Brian's preference, it never occurred to me to perform such AB.

Anyway, after having fastened many phase plugs, I forgot what we used for adhesive.  I seem to remember a combination of one slow drying adhesive (silicone?) + hot glue to so we could install the driver while the slow drying agent cured.

The only VMPS driver I have left is a 4710 10" (yours for $10 if you need it, from the Mini Tower II, possibly also ST/R SE w/symmetrical mid/treble).  I suspect the phase plug is still installed.  Maybe one day I'll AB it with vs. without the phase plug installed.           

Woodsea

« Reply #684 on: 9 Aug 2016, 05:18 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331923923304   Dipole Surrounds

These are up to a whopping $310.  Damn if I had a house, I would get these.  I hope someone on this board is stealing these.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #685 on: 9 Aug 2016, 07:59 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331923923304   Dipole Surrounds

These are up to a whopping $310.  Damn if I had a house, I would get these.  I hope someone on this board is stealing these.

With all due respect for different opinions, mono pole appears to be the ideal radiation pattern for "surround" speakers for HT and/or multi-ch music systems.  In my dual use system (retractable perforated screen), in-wall mono pole surrounds mounted several inches above the seated listener's head hugely outperformed quasi-bipole side and rear surrounds mounted several inches below the 91" ceiling (box speaker hanging from the wall). 

Neil Mellor and other acoustics and studio design pros recommend only mono pole for surround application.  I believe this is also the Dolby standard (check Dolby's TrueHD speaker setup page).

Mono pole surround has been preferred since Dolby TrueHD, apparently resulting from its improved channel steering (two discreet rear channels, etc).  Prior to that, in the DD and earlier ProLogic era, bipole, dipole, quasi-bipole, and quasi-dipole (and elevated siting) may have been better.   

Further, regardless VMPS' sensitivity specs, IMO inflated more than the industry average...VMPS generally eat current and voltage like it's going out of style, likely including this quasi-dipole or bipole surround.  Keep that in mind Re. the associated amp driving this speaker.

Lynn Olsen is a long time fan of AudioKinesis' LCS/Late Ceiling Splash (AKA "Space Generator") radiation pattern.  I asked Lynn if he'd recommend this unique radiaiton pattern for surrounds in a HT and/or multi-ch music system, and he said "Yes."  LCS/SG requires free-standing speakers.  Surround LCS/SG speakers require more floor space than average, and a larger than average listening room.

LCS/SG combines two distinct radiation patterns: a highly focused first arrival plus a highly diffused late arrival signal.     

Stimpy

« Reply #686 on: 12 Aug 2016, 05:16 pm »

VMPS Speakers, Model RM-626  -  (Edmonton, AB T5K2Y3)  $600  ($463 US)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/edmonton/vmps-speakers-model-rm-626/1187709505

"Pair of VMPS Speakers, Model RM-626, in great shape. Made in the USA. Asking 600 OBO"

Stimpy

« Reply #687 on: 12 Aug 2016, 05:20 pm »
REPOST  -  $75.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191944021576?rmvSB=true

VMPS 12" WOOFER DRIVERS FOR VMPS SUBWOOFER SPEAKERS  -  (Florence, Massachusetts)  $75.00  BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-12-WOOFER-DRIVERS-FOR-VMPS-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKERS-/201575503082?hash=item2eeed614ea:g:WVsAAOSwKfVXJ82G

"Pair Of 12" Woofers From Large Pair Of VMPS Subwoofers.

8 Ohms.

Drivers Need Refoaming, Coils Are Good."

Stimpy

« Reply #688 on: 12 Aug 2016, 05:34 pm »
VMPS RM 40 Speakers  -  (Corona, CA)  $2250

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/5719628041.html

"Selling a pair of Audiophile VMPS RM40 Floor standing Speakers in good condition. All drivers work perfectly. These are great sounding high end speakers with ribbon midrange drivers and tweeters. Vocals and instruments are clear, precise, with an incredible sound stage. Take a listen for yourself. Ready for audition."

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #689 on: 12 Aug 2016, 05:54 pm »
Wow, those 626R are positively a steal!  My pair had insatiable appetite for amps and volts.  The red overload LED frequently lit on my ATI amp, 200/325W @ 8/4 Ohm.  For all VMPS, but possibly 626R more than any other model, the more power the better. 

Do yourself a favor: ignore VMPS' sensitivity specs.  Beyond overstating sensitivity, likely more than the industry average hyperbole, VMPS minimum impedance and phase angles are generally brutal.   

Shameless plug: for single amp powering any full range VMPS, you'd have a hard time finding a better amp, even cost no object, than my $1490/ea Hypex NCore Stereo NC400, 200/400/600W @ 8/4/2 Ohm, 1 Ohm minimum, 8.5 lbs, draws 4W @ idle.  This model in BTL/bridged tied load mono version, $2980/pr, 400/800/1200W @ 8/4/2 Ohm, 1 Ohm minimum......beyond unlimited power, BTL performs better, even at whisper levels. 

Stimpy

« Reply #690 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:31 am »
VMPS RM-40 Ribbon Monitor Floor Standing Speaker Pair - Dibble Cabinets  -  (Los Angeles, CA)  $2695

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649294486-vmps-rm40-ribbon-monitor-floor-standing-speaker-pair-dibble-cabinets/

""The speakers were so impressive that they moved at least one judge to tears." - Tech TV

With the VMPS Ribbon Monitor 40 we set a new standard for quality, value, and the latest technology wrapped into one slim, elegant package.

This 109 kg, 168 cm tall floorstanding speaker boasts the 25cm Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 25cm WCF midbass in a symmetrical array with four 20cm Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (280 Hz to 7 kHz) and one Free Swinging Tweeter (flat to 25 kHz) in a column only 32 cm wide and 43 cm deep. Thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking. Cabinetry is 38 mm thick MDF baffles (plus 28 mm sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10 dB less panel vibration. The result is 24 Hz bass with ultraclean 115 dB/1m output levels at an unprecedented low price for such achievement.

There are three ways to operate the RM 40, so-called because of its 40 inch vertical ribbon mid/tweeter array. The first is full range, with a single amplifier as a source. The system presents a steady 4 Ohm load, resistive above 166Hz, with 90dB/1W sensitivity and enormous output and dynamic range. Second, more ambitious audiophiles can easily switch the system to the biamp/biwire configuration and run a separate bass amp through the speaker’s passive bass and mid/treble crossovers which, by the way, consist of all premium parts such as Axon polypropylene caps and hi-Q Erse 14 gauge laminated core inductors. The third option is biamping with the passive bass crossover removed, an outboard 24 dB/octave electronic crossover driving the separate bass amp, and a second amp running the ribbon panels through their builtin 6 and 12 dB filters.

No matter if your tastes run to high-end Music or Home Theater, once you have heard the sheer responsiveness and velocity of our unique handbuilt woofers, exclusive high efficiency Neo ribbon midranges and spiral ribbon tweeters, you won’t want to go back to dynamic speakers regardless of price.

The RM 40 was the centerpiece of our 2002 Consumer Electronics Show demonstration room which won “Best of CES” from TechTV, the media arm of the Electronics Industry Association, host of the Show. The RM 40 won as best High End Audio product in a field of 261 exhibitors (of all High End products, not just speakers, although our competitors in that regard all ran 5 to 20 times our price) with 35 total products nominated. A field of 26 judges canvassed the Show for winners, giving VMPS the nod in High End Audio.

Inspite of stiff competition the final vote was unanimous for the RM 40 as Best Product.

Includes:

This Specific Model includes: Dorne Dibble Cabinet Upgrade, OXO Outboard Cross-Over.

Gloss Black paint is NOT exceptional, but the SOUND is."

Stimpy

« Reply #691 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:37 am »
VMPS RM-30M Floorstanding Speakers  -  (Los Angeles, CA)  $1695

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649294849-vmps-rm30m-floorstanding-speakers/

"This offering is the RM-30M, with the 10" side firing woofer

"The RM 30 is a speaker that can match the dynamic capabilities of competent horns, the immediacy of electrostatics and planar-magnetics, and the fine detailing and imaging of the best dynamic designs." - Positive Feedback

RM30 is 50 cm (20") deep, but can be placed directly against a back wall if needed. The FST, Soundcoat and 10" Megawoofer are all standard. M and C versions are exactly the same except for the M's sidefiring woofers. The large cabinet of the C version provides good quality bass flat to 39 Hz from the four 16 cm WCF woofers. The M version cuts off at 32 Hz. The RM30 uses three 2.4 Ohm midrange panels wired in series. The FST is at the top of the column. The C version is a true line source, the M series is a slight departure with its side-firing woofer. The active 16 cm is a specially developed WCF 16 cm Megawoofer. They offer higher power handling, cleaner sound and have the ability of not bottoming out no matter how hard they are driven.

The RM30's are extremely flexible of placement, including touching the back wall if necessary.

VMPS RM30 M & C versions

This loudspeaker answers the requests from audiophiles since early 2002 for a speaker priced between, & more attractive than the RM2 & RM40. Its premium blending of price, performance, flexibility, & cosmetic beauty promises more than anything currently available.

· Price includes Free Swinging Tweeter & SoundCoat.

· Performance: maximum output just below the RM40 combined w/a new reference in staging, imaging, musicality, nearfield listening, & disappearing qualities.

· Flexibility: the standard C model has bass extension in the high 30s. The M version (additional 10”side firing MW, same cabinet) extends to the high 20s & has a feature to minimize bass modes. Details on both versions below.

· Cosmetic Beauty: at 20cm wide it’s the narrowest VMPS ever & 5 cm narrower than the 626R standmount. At 122 cm it’s only 8 cm above the RM2 and a perfect match for video monitors. Depth is a moderate 50 cm.

Driver Array: the sequence below matches the driver positions on the baffle, from the top down.

1. Standard FST tweeter, previously standard only at the RMX.
2. 3 vertical Neo mids.
3. Dual active 16 cm, the ideal diameter in the critical transition range, w/punchy, quick midbass.

Passive Radiators: tunable, down firing, slot & mass loaded (classic VMPS). The ultra-slim baffle requires dual 16 cm PRs (a VMPS first), mounted inline front to back. Mass adjustments are performed on both or only one PR (the front), providing finer & smoother tuning increments.

Woofer Options: apartment dwellers, persons with 1st octave room modes, persons desiring moderate bass extension, &/or persons already possessing a quality subwoofer will be pleased w/the C model’s high 30 Hz cutoff. The M model’s side-firing 25cm 80oz-magnet Megawoofer extends to the high 20 Hz range. The mirror-imaged L-R speakers are reversible, allowing the 25cm basses to fire either inward or outward to maximize the averaging of room modes, a'la RM/X. We generally recommend:

Includes:

Speakers and front grills.

Looking for local pick-up or can deliver to 50mi radius to Century City CA."

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #692 on: 26 Aug 2016, 03:52 am »
I hounded Brian for a long time, saying that RM30C enclosure was too small for the three active drivers, plus the OEM PR radiating area is about 1/5th what it should be.  Frankly, even the RM30 needs about twice the PR radiating area (dual 6.5).  Look at PR to active woofer radiating area of Sandy Gross' award winning Goldenear speakers.  Classic PR to active area ratio is 2 to 1.   

My RM30 PRs frequently bottomed.  That said, I'd take RM30 over any RM40, and we directly ABd them several times.   

If you want RM30s, I'd recommend waiting for nice versions sans active side firing 10". 

IMO, the likely ideal though complicated option, is to modify regular RM30 as follows:

Remove/discard the ridiculously over whelmed dual 6.5PRs.  Seal the two PR holes, or better yet, if you can air tight seal the pedestal slot, and air-tight-seal the pedestal to cabinet, leave the PR holes open, thus adding the pedestal base volume to the too small cavity.  As a ratio of the small enclosure, pedestal volume is larger than it might seem at first glance.     

I presume the dual active 6.5s work better reflex loaded vs. sealed.  Sealed it shall likely lack low bass.  If this turns out correct, consider two reflex loading options:
Remove one active 6.5 and get the T/S parameters (test software is common now).
Compute internal enclosure volume (account for mid sub enclosures). 

A) Compute appropriate flared ports.  Cut holes, and install appropriate flared ports, preferably centered behind the dual active 6.5s to increase ambient/rear firing mid range output.  Seal or leave ports open to tune to the room (seal w/plumber's "test cap.")  Generally, non-symmetrical L/R ports outperforms symmetrical, meaning ports open/sealed are not matched L/R.  Or, probably the ideal reflex loading is...

B) Calculate PR size approximately equal to four active 6.5s.  Cut hole for and side mount this PR near the floor.  Do NOT mirror image the L/R pair.  Rather, mount PR on the same side panel of both speakers (side is irrelevant, just insure L/R match and are not mirror imaged).  It's non-intuitive, but the less symmetrical is L/R bass radiation the less are modal effects and the better/smoother is bass performance.  If both PRs fire on L side panel: the L/PR to L side wall distance is very short, while the R/PR to L side wall distance is multiples longer, thus minimizing the side wall axial mode.  Bass performance increases more than one's intuition is disturbed and more than the apparent cosmetic/mechanical error.   

I'm almost positive of the following: RM30C has dual 4 Ohm series active 6.5", parallel w/8 Ohm active 10" (4 Ohm nominal).  RM30 has dual 8 Ohm parallel active 6.5", also 4 Ohm nominal.  Unfortunately this makes it impossible to simply trade the RM30C active 10" w/a 10PR.

RM30C enclosure is way too small for those three active woofers, regardless how they are loaded. 

Stimpy

« Reply #693 on: 26 Aug 2016, 04:08 am »
Brian had posted a thread on how to convert the early RM30M's & C's, to the MK II versions.  It didn't look too hard to do.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99305.0

Plus, if converting a pair of RM30M's, you end up with an extra pair of 10" carbon fiber woofers.  Nice to have to maybe use in a pair of custom subs.  Add a pair of Goldwood heavy duty 12" woofers, and a set of 15" passives.  That'd make for a decent sub set up.

Stimpy

« Reply #694 on: 27 Aug 2016, 04:39 pm »
Another picture - I thought it might be helpful, no matter the subject matter...!    :thumb:

VMPS RM-40 Ribbon Monitor Floor Standing Speaker Pair - Dibble Cabinets  -  (Los Angeles, CA)  $2695

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649294486-vmps-rm40-ribbon-monitor-floor-standing-speaker-pair-dibble-cabinets/

""The speakers were so impressive that they moved at least one judge to tears." - Tech TV

With the VMPS Ribbon Monitor 40 we set a new standard for quality, value, and the latest technology wrapped into one slim, elegant package.

This 109 kg, 168 cm tall floorstanding speaker boasts the 25cm Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 25cm WCF midbass in a symmetrical array with four 20cm Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (280 Hz to 7 kHz) and one Free Swinging Tweeter (flat to 25 kHz) in a column only 32 cm wide and 43 cm deep. Thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking. Cabinetry is 38 mm thick MDF baffles (plus 28 mm sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10 dB less panel vibration. The result is 24 Hz bass with ultraclean 115 dB/1m output levels at an unprecedented low price for such achievement.

There are three ways to operate the RM 40, so-called because of its 40 inch vertical ribbon mid/tweeter array. The first is full range, with a single amplifier as a source. The system presents a steady 4 Ohm load, resistive above 166Hz, with 90dB/1W sensitivity and enormous output and dynamic range. Second, more ambitious audiophiles can easily switch the system to the biamp/biwire configuration and run a separate bass amp through the speaker’s passive bass and mid/treble crossovers which, by the way, consist of all premium parts such as Axon polypropylene caps and hi-Q Erse 14 gauge laminated core inductors. The third option is biamping with the passive bass crossover removed, an outboard 24 dB/octave electronic crossover driving the separate bass amp, and a second amp running the ribbon panels through their builtin 6 and 12 dB filters.

No matter if your tastes run to high-end Music or Home Theater, once you have heard the sheer responsiveness and velocity of our unique handbuilt woofers, exclusive high efficiency Neo ribbon midranges and spiral ribbon tweeters, you won’t want to go back to dynamic speakers regardless of price.

The RM 40 was the centerpiece of our 2002 Consumer Electronics Show demonstration room which won “Best of CES” from TechTV, the media arm of the Electronics Industry Association, host of the Show. The RM 40 won as best High End Audio product in a field of 261 exhibitors (of all High End products, not just speakers, although our competitors in that regard all ran 5 to 20 times our price) with 35 total products nominated. A field of 26 judges canvassed the Show for winners, giving VMPS the nod in High End Audio.

Inspite of stiff competition the final vote was unanimous for the RM 40 as Best Product.

Includes:

This Specific Model includes: Dorne Dibble Cabinet Upgrade, OXO Outboard Cross-Over.

Gloss Black paint is NOT exceptional, but the SOUND is."

Stimpy

« Reply #695 on: 4 Sep 2016, 10:16 pm »
Unity Audio Parm Front Speakers & VMPS Larger Subwoofer  -  (COMMERCE TOWNSHIP/Detroit, Michigan)  $1750

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5723456492.html

No Pictures

"Unity Audio Parm Front Speakers & VMPS Larger Subwoofer for sale. The speakers are in 8or9/10 condition and in perfect original working order and the subwoofer is in 9/10 condition and in perfect original working order.

The VMPS "Larger" subwoofer has a 12" and a 15" woofer and has a downward firing 15" radiator. This sub has been factory upgraded with kevlar megawoofers and upgraded damping material. This subwoofer is unpowered and does require an amp to power it.

My dad passed away last year and he was a super audiophile as well as being personal friends with the owners and head designers of both Unity Audio (Robert Grost, who now owns Cerious Technologies down in Arizona) and VMPS (the late Mr. Brian Cheney) and when my dad passed I got most of his equipment.

I've sold all of the amps, wires, interconnects and some of the other speakers and things. I was going to try to keep this specific set all to myself for sentimental reasons more than usage purposes because I really don't have the right space/equipment right now to really let this pro-line audiophile crazy wonderfulness shine and impress. So, It's time to say goodbye to the rest of what I have.

I need a car at the moment and I'm freshly unemployed so while I love these items, I can't drive my son to school in them or drive them to work or pick up chicks with them... so ya. someone's gonna get real lucky with this posting...

Actually, I might even consider a trade for a vehicle (prefer camaro's, firebirds, stick shifts, sporty type stuff or 4X4 type jeepy stuff) depending on the circumstances.. Just ask and I'll let you know.

This stuff is big, bulky and heavy so shipping is going to be almost impossible. However, again for the right deal/circumstances I would be open to delivering them to you or meeting you at a halfway point during the day at a public place.

2 (4) eight (8) nine 2 (54*) zero four call or text anytime before 11pm and after 8am my name is Andy

cash, cashiers check, or an agreed upon trade deal for a car (must have clean title) or a car and cash.

listing is O.B.O.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my posting!"

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #696 on: 5 Sep 2016, 03:01 pm »
Stimpy,

I grabbed the 626R monitors from Andy, they sound awesome too. Those from Alberta look nice also but the guy never responded back to me.

Stimpy

« Reply #697 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:00 am »
VMPS QSO-808 Speakers. Vintage, Revered, Big Bass!  -  (Berkeley, California)  $350

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-QSO-808-Speakers-Vintage-Revered-Big-Bass-Local-Pickup-in-Berkeley-/201663232756?hash=item2ef410baf4:g:FIMAAOSw-kdXzlxk

"A Set of Two VMPS QSO 808 Speakers

From the Era Of: Big 3-way, Rectangular, Manly, Golden Oak, Cabinets!

Circa 2000 CE

The QSO 808 is a three-way front ported loudspeaker designed by Brian Cheney, the founder of  VMPS.  Mr. Cheney adhered to a 'design by ear' approach.  Mr. Cheney designed speakers with robust bass response, and these are no exception.

The 808's feature a 12" polypropylene woofer, a 5" midrange and a Philips tweeter that Mr. Cheney designed into many of his speakers.  The speakers size makes them ideal for studio monitors.

Size: 26" (H) *** 15.5" (W) *** 12" (D)
    44 Lbs Each
    Power Requirements: 20W-150W rms
    Impedance: 8 Ohms

These speakers will not be shipped.  They can be picked up during daylight hours in Berkeley California near the Claremont Hotel.  The buyer will be allowed to listen to the speakers prior to picking up.  They must be paid for by Paypal at least 8 hours before arriving for pickup."

Stimpy

« Reply #698 on: 18 Sep 2016, 09:46 pm »
VMPS TOWER II SPECIAL EDITION SPEAKERS  -  (Alvarado, Texas)  $950

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ele/5786790177.html

"If you like vintage speakers that are fast, transparent and can hit you in the stomach with sheer power, then these are for you. Each speaker has 5 drivers:

• A high-efficiency ribbon super tweeter
• A focal 120 hard-dome tweeter
• One 5" woven carbon fiber midrange
• Two 12" carbon fiber woofers
• And a passive, downward firing 12" woofer with a slot-loaded port

The bass is full, tight and strong and goes all the way down to 20 Hz - really - and the highs and mids are a thing of sweet beauty. I bi-amped mine with two Soundcraftsmen A 400 amps and opened them up to 130 DB on a SPL meter and they just stood there laughing at me. (My neighbors didn't, but my guest and I were shocked at the clarity these speakers have at live levels).

Obviously, you don't have to crank them up to be continuously surprised at normal listening levels. But one doesn't have to top out a Ferrari to enjoy the exquisite detail and design of those machines tooling around town either. (But you'll want to anyway!)

I could replace the mesh grilles, but they look cool without them in my opinion. They are both in excellent condition and have never been tipped over our dropped. (Maybe because each one of them weighs in at about 105 lbs)."

John Casler

« Reply #699 on: 18 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm »
I know a fellow looking for a pair of 626R's if anyone has, or sees some for sale.