2ohm stable?

zuluwarrior0760

2ohm stable?
« on: 2 Dec 2014, 03:17 am »
James,

I thought I would ask you this since I know you have lots of experience with Magnepan....

I have 7bsst2 amplifiers and 3.7 loudspeakers and I want to see what I get by
adding two of the DWM bass/mid panels.....

Magnepan recommends coming from the amp either with two seperate cables
or a shotgun dual bi, but I was concerned that would make the amp see a nominal
2ohm load, and Magnepan confirmed that and didn't seem that concerned.....

I have a large room, although I don't play music at out of the ordinary levels......

What are your thoughts about 2ohm load and a 7bsst2 pair?

Thanks so much

Eric
Oklahoma City

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 2ohm stable?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2014, 11:41 am »
HI Eric

No problem at all with the 7B's and the bass panels.

Magnepan uses a 9B with the same setup in their demo room at Magnepan as well as show demos.

james

tatcom

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2014, 06:19 pm »
Hi James,

If I understand you right all 7B SST2s should be able to handle loads of 2 ohms? I'm asking as I read in the Bryston brochure that there's a special version of the 7B SST2 available that's designed for 2 or lower ohm loads.

I'm about to purchase a pair of standard 7B SST2s to drive my Magneplanar 3.6Rs and - just like Eric - I'd like to extend my systems capabilities with a pair of DWM woofer panels.

thanks in advance,
Tamas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2014, 06:34 pm »
Hi James,

If I understand you right all 7B SST2s should be able to handle loads of 2 ohms? I'm asking as I read in the Bryston brochure that there's a special version of the 7B SST2 available that's designed for 2 or lower ohm loads.

I'm about to purchase a pair of standard 7B SST2s to drive my Magneplanar 3.6Rs and - just like Eric - I'd like to extend my systems capabilities with a pair of DWM woofer panels.

thanks in advance,
Tamas

Yes we can do a special version of the 7B but it would not perform as well as the standard version on the Maggie's. 

James

tatcom

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2014, 10:45 pm »
Thanks for the info James - I'll go ahead with the purchase of those standard 7B SST2s than :)