Where to get an Audiophile Modded Mac mini

stump4545

Where to get an Audiophile Modded Mac mini
« on: 5 Mar 2015, 11:28 pm »
I heard it is possible to get a Mac Mini upgraded and modded for audiophile use.

Any suggestions on where to get a Mac Mini Modded for audiophile music?

thank you

2bigears

Re: Where to get an Audiophile Modded Mac mini
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2015, 12:55 am »
 :D   Eric @ DB labs ????  i thought he was working on one ?? :D

Hoosierdaddy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2015, 02:00 am »
Check out mojo-audio.com, I don't have one but have been interested in upgrading my stock mac mini. A few reviews out there in conjunction with their power supply.

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2015, 03:35 am »
Dave at PI audio makes a nice D/C power supply for running off batteries or external power supply. I run mine off a battery through one of Dave Battery Busses. Sounds great.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2015, 04:35 am »
Dave at PI audio makes a nice D/C power supply for running off batteries or external power supply. I run mine off a battery through one of Dave Battery Busses. Sounds great.
+1
My Mac Mini  and external HDD run off Dave's Battery Buss, sounds great.

Mortsnets

kenreau

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2015, 05:27 pm »
There is a seller on US Audio Mart (no experience buying from him)
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649173427-mac-mini-upgraded-amp-configured-as-music-servercd-transport-a-supreme-digital-turntable/

Those are really old mac minis he is selling.  Other than Audivana, I didn't read anything special that was done to the hardware other than a SSD.  Reportedly, the newer 2012+ mac minis are a significantly better unit to work with.  Check out Computer Audiophile and search for UpTone Audio. Alex has worked with John Swenson to develop a reportedly fantastic set of power supply upgrades.  Fwiw, I suggest going with JRMC as the music player software. 

Kenreau

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm »
Looked into this last year, but for various non-audio reasons ended up with a MacBook Air.

But IMO the beauty of the Mini (low cost, simple, compact) for music is using it stock (plus player software upgrades).  Modding/tweaking a Mini quickly loses cost effectiveness and elegance compared to other options.