Observations from inserting an iFi iPurifier

Big Red Machine

Observations from inserting an iFi iPurifier
« on: 2 Jul 2015, 01:12 pm »
I didn't have much sucess with the Uptone Regen unit and so I moved on as is often the case in this hobby. So I ordered an iPurifier and installed it quickly last night and was quite surprised at the wholesale change it made to my sound.

I am NOT saying I will keep it installed - the jury is still out on that.

While it is advertised as making your music more analog and we usually skip over that marketing BS, I would say that it really delivered on that mark. The edge I had in the treble that I associated with the Silversmith SC's is totally gone. There is a beefiness to all frequencies now and I need more time to decide if it is at all rolled off. My first impression is it is not rolled, just thicker and more intense.

I did not notice any reduction at any frequencey range, and in fact felt that all were more pronounced. In that regard I might be hearing a slight amount of sibilance with it versus w/o it and the bass is slightly woolier to me at first glance.

I'll try it back and forth some more to keep fleshing it out. For $99 it really changed my sound. Very interesting.

I sent a note to iFi to ask if it could be used backwards and connect a hard drive to the music server and still filter properly. I doubt it can work that direction as designed, but if it did that would be interesting.

jk@home

Re: Observations from inserting an iFi iPurifier
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2015, 12:38 am »
Not PC related, but I've been impressed with the iFi products that I am using, the iTube with an iPower supply. This is my fourth tube buffer (yeah I'm a glutton for punishment), and it is the first one that didn't add noise, grunge, or decrease the resolution of the system. In fact it increased the resolution. Using it between a CI-VDA-2 and NuForce preamp.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2015, 12:51 am »
Keep up the good info.  Been following the threads.  Just ordered the iFi PS and dual headed USB cable (dealer had them on Audiogon for $100 off list).  Should have mine the middle of next week

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2015, 05:03 pm »
Here is the response from tech support on the directionality of the purifier filter:

Great, thanks for owning them!

USB is inherently bidirectional, data always flows both up- and down-stream.

So yes, the iPurifier can be used between any USB B socket equipped USB device and a USB cable. But please bear in mind that if the HDD is USB powered it may not be able to draw enough current though.
Hope this helps!
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _____________

Best regards,

Owen,
Tech Support

So I will be getting a second one to try on the output of my hard drive.