Bryston Loudspeakers

SoundGame

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #300 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:28 am »
PMC - BB5 Active stack

james

Somewhat unrelated to this thread but given your response, I was interested in what are the Bryston amplifiers that are coupled to the BB5 Active speaker.  From the specs below, I would guess it would be a combination of three separate mono amplifiers - would that be a PP120 on the HF and what about the mids and lows.  The 4ohm is throwing me off, as well.

BB5-A Specifications
Useable frequency range: 17Hz-25kHz

Effective line length: 4m 13ft

Drive units:
LF 380mm Radial™
MF 75mm PMC fabric dome
HF 34mm PMC soft dome

Crossover frequency: 380Hz & 3.8kHz

Amplifier power:
HF 120W
MF 250W
LF 800W

SoundGame

« Reply #301 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:31 pm »
I wonder if the new loudspeaker from Axiom that will be introduced this March at Son&Image in Montreal, pair with Bryston electronics, will include any of the characteristics and/or learning of this projects or are they totally independent?

dakkon

« Reply #302 on: 23 Feb 2012, 12:55 am »
Ian, the owner of Axiom has said that they are 2 independent projects completely unrelated to each other...

cheviot100

« Reply #303 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:50 am »
James,

Just wondering if you've thought of a maple finish. My own Spendors look terrific, as I imagine the Model Ts would in that style... and wouldn't maple look swell on a big tall Canadian speaker.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #304 on: 1 Mar 2012, 09:11 am »
James,

Just wondering if you've thought of a maple finish. My own Spendors look terrific, as I imagine the Model Ts would in that style... and wouldn't maple look swell on a big tall Canadian speaker.

They do look nice :thumb:

James

dakkon

« Reply #305 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:10 am »
James, do you have any updates on your speakers?

Just thought i would ask....   :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 9 Mar 2012, 11:03 am »
James, do you have any updates on your speakers?

Just thought i would ask....   :)

Hi,

I am thinking of showing them at the upcoming Montreal audio show and get some feedback.

james

dakkon

« Reply #307 on: 9 Mar 2012, 05:59 pm »
I think you should.. I am in the market for a pair of stereo speakers... Full range.. My current brand of choice is Wilson... However, i currently have Axiom's, and your speakers use Axiom drivers, so they would fit in perfectly with my other speakers.. Ian will be unavailing his new speaker on the 24th as well....  I would be quite interested in yours as well. I think that your speakers are more of what i am looking for, with the dual/tripple 8" woofers, i don't think Ian chose larger woofers, i have a feeling that they are using the 6 1/2's... The Wilsons that i am looking at are either the Sasha's or Sophia's, you'r speaker is comparable to the Sasha in driver configuration.

I am hopeful that it will be worth it for you to bring your speakers to market. I think that there will be a significant demand for them, if you are able to do it for the right price.

Good luck!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #308 on: 9 Mar 2012, 06:41 pm »
I think you should.. I am in the market for a pair of stereo speakers... Full range.. My current brand of choice is Wilson... However, i currently have Axiom's, and your speakers use Axiom drivers, so they would fit in perfectly with my other speakers.. Ian will be unavailing his new speaker on the 24th as well....  I would be quite interested in yours as well. I think that your speakers are more of what i am looking for, with the dual/tripple 8" woofers, i don't think Ian chose larger woofers, i have a feeling that they are using the 6 1/2's... The Wilsons that i am looking at are either the Sasha's or Sophia's, you'r speaker is comparable to the Sasha in driver configuration.

I am hopeful that it will be worth it for you to bring your speakers to market. I think that there will be a significant demand for them, if you are able to do it for the right price.

Good luck!

Yes if I can get them finished in time I will bring them along. What price point do you think a 'stereo full-range active speaker system with dedicated crossover' should sell for??

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #309 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:04 pm »
Yes if I can get them finished in time I will bring them along. What price point do you think a 'stereo full-range active speaker system with dedicated crossover' should sell for??

james
Hi James,
If I allowed.I would say no less then $10000 and no more then $15000 would be a good price for today's market.And there are few ways to amplify the system as pair of 6BSST2,3@4BSST2 or 2@4BSST2 and a pair 7BSST2 wich is my always favourite. :thumb:

dakkon

« Reply #310 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:06 pm »
Prelude posted while i was writing.. However, both of our posts are similar  :)

I actually sent Ian an email telling him what i was looking to spend a couple days ago :)..

For the product that you have, i personally would be willing to pay between 5-7k$, maybe....10k but for 10k$ i would have to audition them first. Ideally 5-7k$ as that is what i have budgeted for my new speakers... The Wilsons that i "may" buy. Would be a pre-owned set.

however, if you can bring your product to market for under 10k$, i think you would be at a price point where there would not be a lot of competition for a pair of speakers like the ones you have built. however, please keep in mind i am going off of the photos that you have posted, and have never heard your seen your speakers in person... I think that you would be competing with B&W 803,802 and 800 D'S, and of course Wilson Sasha, and Sophia.. those are just 2 companies for a short list, but the point being... of the two companies that i mentioned, their speakers that you would be directly competing against are well above the 10k price point. With that being said, i dont know if it would be possible for you to bring your speakers to market for under the 10k point and make any profit or not. But, if you can.... I think you would be in a VERY good position.

My 10k number is for the speakers and crossover ONLY.. No amplification.

SHV

« Reply #311 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:09 pm »
"What price point do you think a 'stereo full-range active speaker system with dedicated crossover' should sell for??"
MSRP at or less than a pair of B & W 802s???  However, with the Bryston set up, there is the additional cost of tri-amplification so it's getting into serious money territory at an 802 price.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #312 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:15 pm »
"What price point do you think a 'stereo full-range active speaker system with dedicated crossover' should sell for??"
MSRP at or less than a pair of B & W 802s???  However, with the Bryston set up, there is the additional cost of tri-amplification so it's getting into serious money territory at an 802 price.

Steve

Serious System = Serious Money :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #313 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:24 pm »
This is a true enjoyable passion of sound reproduction of all the time and won't be cheap for sure.
Less then 10000 would not be fair price IMO. :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #314 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:28 pm »
This is a true enjoyable passion of sound reproduction of all the time and won't be cheap for sure.
Less then 10000 would not be fair price IMO. :D

Well it certainly has been an interesting journey and the fact that the Model T started out as a simply 3 driver/3-way system and has now morphed into a 3-way/7 driver system with custom DSP crossover has been an eye opener. :duh:

james

SHV

« Reply #315 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:35 pm »
Serious System = Serious Money :thumb:

A pair of Brystons speakers at 802 price driven by  a pair of 6Bs would be about $30,000 or 7Bs for the bottom end and a pair of 4Bs or...or...or....

Steve

dakkon

« Reply #316 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm »
James, do you think the sub 10k$ mark would be reasonable? Would it be worth your while, profit wise?

You could always start a 503C nonprofit down here in the U.S. If you would break even at the 10k point :D

PRELUDE

« Reply #317 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:46 pm »
A pair of Brystons speakers at 802 price driven by  a pair of 6Bs would be about $30,000 or 7Bs for the bottom end and a pair of 4Bs or...or...or....

Steve
somebody asked me if I could make a pair monitor speakers for his office and I told him I don't have a time right now to do it how about we buy a good one for you and this was about 5 months ago.I could not believe 50% of monitors are close to $9000 if not $18000.

SoundGame

« Reply #318 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:54 pm »
My take on this is that I understand all companies, including Bryston are in the business of making money on their products - so adding a profit margin is necessary.

There come a balance point of volume sales with a smaller profit vs. lower sales with a higher profit.

Aiming for the later requires catering to desires of those seeking something exclusive.  Though I don't think Bryston is a company which designs / sells products on exclusivity, it comes with the territory as prices get higher and higher.

I totally recognize that there is effort, money and resources as well as recovery of R&D that comes into play here.

I would like to see and would hope that Bryston would come to the party with a net new product - priced agressively rather than competitively.   And, priced in a manner that doesn't push for exclusivity.

To name another manufacturer - though build is in a foreign country and that needs to be considered in the price as well - Golden Ear has taken an aggressive stance with the pricing of it's product - comparing what you get in that speaker along with the raving reviews - the product could demand a much higher price but that's not what Sandy is after.

In summation, take the cost of the product, factor in recovery of R&D over a reasonable timeframe, and price with a smaller profit margin the first year.  Get some sales and demand going and then consider raising the price in the following year.

This speaker is a Bryston product but it's based on Axiom technologies and engineering and manufacturing techniques, as I understand it.  So you start with the Axiom M80 v3 (a very aggressively priced product) $1500, add an additional driver, some improvements to the drivers and throw in an active design.  Take the $1500 add in $500 for the additional driver, gives you $2000, triple that cost for the active design (excluding amplification) and what do you get - roughly $6000.  Pad it with $1000 for R&D and other ancillary costs and you get to $7000.

If $7000 results in a profit - then why not sell it at that price.  You would draw new customers to Bryston who will then be interested in buying Bryston amps.  For the first year - well you could even run with no-profit and just work off the profits related to additional sales of amplfiers that people will naturally be drawn to as they were used in the development of the speakers.

My take.

SoundGame

« Reply #319 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:59 pm »
My take on this is that I understand all companies, including Bryston are in the business of making money on their products - so adding a profit margin is necessary.

There come a balance point of volume sales with a smaller profit vs. lower sales with a higher profit.

Aiming for the later requires catering to desires of those seeking something exclusive.  Though I don't think Bryston is a company which designs / sells products on exclusivity, it comes with the territory as prices get higher and higher.

I totally recognize that there is effort, money and resources as well as recovery of R&D that comes into play here.

I would like to see and would hope that Bryston would come to the party with a net new product - priced agressively rather than competitively.   And, priced in a manner that doesn't push for exclusivity.

To name another manufacturer - though build is in a foreign country and that needs to be considered in the price as well - Golden Ear has taken an aggressive stance with the pricing of it's product - comparing what you get in that speaker along with the raving reviews - the product could demand a much higher price but that's not what Sandy is after.

In summation, take the cost of the product, factor in recovery of R&D over a reasonable timeframe, and price with a smaller profit margin the first year.  Get some sales and demand going and then consider raising the price in the following year.

This speaker is a Bryston product but it's based on Axiom technologies and engineering and manufacturing techniques, as I understand it.  So you start with the Axiom M80 v3 (a very aggressively priced product) $1500, add an additional driver, some improvements to the drivers and throw in an active design.  Take the $1500 add in $500 for the additional driver, gives you $2000, triple that cost for the active design (excluding amplification) and what do you get - roughly $6000.  Pad it with $1000 for R&D and other ancillary costs and you get to $7000.

If $7000 results in a profit - then why not sell it at that price.  You would draw new customers to Bryston who will then be interested in buying Bryston amps.  For the first year - well you could even run with no-profit and just work off the profits related to additional sales of amplfiers that people will naturally be drawn to as they were used in the development of the speakers.

My take.

Oh, and I'm guess that you would offer a 5yr warrantly on this product rather than the 20yrs???  That would keep cost down as well.