Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

Hantra

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
« on: 2 Feb 2003, 04:25 am »
All:

Just bought the new Zwan tonight, and I figured I'd post my first impressions.

As a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, I was excited to get my hands on the new Zwan.  At first listen, it doesn't disappoint, but if you're expecting Pumpkins, don't.  

This disc is largely Billy Corigan with much better musicians than he is used to playing with.  Don't get me wrong, Jimmy Chaimberlin has always kicked butt as a drummer, and James is a decent guitarist.  Darcy could be worse, but she could be better. hehe. . .   Anyway, these guys are different, and although they are better musicians for the most part, I wouldn't say the band is better.

Zwan's playing is tight on this disc, and slightly mellower than SP.  The lyrics are where you'll notice more differences than the playing.  SP's lyrics have always pretty much been about emotion, and love, etc.  Zwan on the other hand has this serious undertone of mortality to the whole disc.  Although all the tracks are not 100% about death, you can tell that the lyrics are written at a point in Corigan's life where he is thinking about his own mortality, and looking back on his life.  

I don't think it's as much a disc for catching the bullet train as say, The Final Cut was, but as I said, it is an ominous theme to the songs here.

There are a few really excellent tracks, and then there are many where you feel like SP have merged with a mainstream rock band that won't be around much longer.  

As far as sound quality goes, it is on par with most of SP's releases.  You'll find that there are moments when it is amazing, but for the most part, the signature tube overdrive, and the washover of distortion that we have come to expect from Billy, really makes sound quality a non-issue.

I think this is a disc that will grow on me, and if you ever liked Corigan, go out and get it. . .

B