ModWright Integrated

Toon

ModWright Integrated
« on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:33 am »
Hi. I gather that you're working on an integrated amp - are you able to reveal some provisional specs, plus a projected date for general availability? And will it have a phono stage? Thanks

modwright

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2010, 08:03 pm »
Well, here is what is planned:

Hybrid integrated with SS rectified 6SN7 input driver stage.
200W Power @ 8 ohms.
Same chassis as LS 100 and KWA 100 - i.e. same dim's (17"x17"x5.5") - obviously different face and back plates.
Digital display for input select and volume control.
Digitally controlled analog volume control - including balance control.
Optional DAC or Phono upgrade.
Fully balanced operation.
Metal full-function remote control.
Pre-Outs.
R-Core power transformer.
Hi-current design able to drive low impedance loads.
Class A-A/B operation.

Haven't decided on BJT or MosFET OP devices yet.

Projected release date is CES 2011, but we shall see.

Thanks!

Dan
« Last Edit: 12 May 2016, 11:03 pm by modwright »

decal

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:26 am »
Now that's something I'd be interested in,except for the digital display.I prefer the look of your present equipment,clean and uncluttered.A phonostage would be great!!

Berto

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2010, 03:14 am »
I'm guessing Dan would have a button to turn the display off unless one is adjusting volume. I miss having my digital display preamp, It was its solid color from far away unless i changed volume, very uncluttered looking, had dual display and remote and could balance the channels seperately.  The numbers were sweet since I had a better sense of a exact ideal volume as opposed to how many dots or notches the vol knob is up.

dibber

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2010, 04:03 am »
Hey Dan,

Been using the KWA100 for the last several months, love the power and warmth.  I suspect more than a few people on your tour will be reluctant to let it go.  I sure wouldn't!

-Dibber

Toon

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2010, 08:55 am »
That's awesome - thanks Dan! If I could write my own spec for an ideal amplifier, that's pretty much it.  :thumb:

Incidentally, here's another vote in favour of a digital readout for the volume - when A/B comparing components, it's always helpful to be able to exactly replicate the output level.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:58 am »
Dan,

I didn't see mention of an HT Bypass input in your planned feature list, as implemented in your preamp.  Will an HT Bypass input also be included in the integrated?

Steve

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:05 am »
Thanks guys.  The design will use digital displays and HT/BP will also be included.

I am laying out the internals of the box right now and it is going to be TIGHT.  The 1200VA+ power transformer weighs over 22lb and is BIG.  I am certain that we can fit everything in and likely a DAC upgrade option also, but my guess is that phono will not likely be an option, unless it is a SS design and we shield it REALLY well.  The insides of an amp is a pretty hostile environment for the fragile signals of a phono stage.  I do believe that we will include the same discrete design Class A headphone amp (like LS 100) however.

Thanks for ALL of your input!

Dan

04dgmsilv

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:57 pm »
Hi Dan

Interested if there has been any additional finalization of the plans for this integrated.  I know you have many irons in the fire, but inquiring minds want to know!  I'm considering downsizing my box count a bit over the next 6 mo. or so, and your integrated would likely be on my audition list.  Thanks!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2010, 09:48 pm »
Hi guys, first all, this will not be complete until second quarter of 2011 some time.  I have too many irons on the fire and this project will be BRILLIANT before it is released.

Hybrid integrated with SS rectified 6SN7 input driver stage.
200W Power @ 8 ohms; 400W @ 4 ohms and can handle 2 ohm loads without issue.
Chassis design more like the KWA 150, but closer to 7"H, rather than the 9"H KWA 150 or 6"H KWA 100.  Modular AL plate design instead of formed metal for greater rigidity and aesthetics.
Digital display for input select and volume control (dimmable or defeatable).
Digitally controlled analog volume control - including balance control.
Optional DAC.
Fully balanced operation.
Metal full-function remote control.
Pre-Outs.
Toroidal power transformer.
Hi-current design able to drive low impedance loads.
Class A-A/B operation.
BJT OP devices.
Dual Mono design (one power transformer).

The design goal for this product is a one-box solution (with DAC option) that will give Class A sound without the need for a complex system.  Cabling will be reduced to a power cord, speaker cables and a digital cable (if using DAC), or a single pair of analog IC's from other source.

It will be a beautiful piece that will have high wife acceptance factor and will be sized such that it will fit into a dedicated audio rack or into a family entertainment center or other standard shelf.

This will be a high-end product!  Pricing is still TBD, because until the design is complete, I won't know our true costs.  Rather than design to a price-point, I have chosen to design to a PERFORMANCE point and then determine price based on actual cost.

Thank you all for your contributions and patience.  This design concept has morphed over time and I have been too busy to complete it in the time I anticipated.  GOOD things take time....and this will be a VERY GOOD THING!

Sincerely,

Dan W.
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.

groovybassist

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:47 pm »
Having now had the chance to enjoy the KWA100SE tour amp, this has definitely piqued my interest...

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2010, 01:08 am »
WoW! That sounds like it will be an incredible piece of gear.

funkmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:16 am »
 :thumb:  Very interested in this one, Dan.  With the DAC option, this sounds like it will carve out a very nice niche for itself.  I'm glad that you are still making progress and will settle for nothing less than excellence!
Cheers-

ps. if you want any beta testers, I might be game.  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2010, 06:06 am »
Thanks, I will have a limited number of beta testers.  Please stay in touch!

Dan

hatehifi

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2010, 11:08 am »
Hi Dan,

Just mailed re: CDP and visited here to find this good news!

As a long time Gryphon Tabu & Tabu Centruy owner (former sold for later now up for sale, BTW), as well as presently the Crayon CFA-1/40 (lots of current for its size!), Dayens Ampino (several mods), and Almarro A205A MKII (EL84), integrateds, I'd love to audition your Beta unit if you want to forward one to Europe. Present main speakers are Zu's Soul Superfly & Magnepan's 3.5R with 3.6R ribbon upgrade. As you may remember, I'm still big into vinyl (see lencoheaven.net) and use Gryphon's PS1 board as stand-alone with Christian Schulz' dual mono PS for phono, or the Crayon's (not bad either), to throw into the equation.

Best regards,
John

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:13 pm »
Thank you!  I am approaching the deisgn of this integrated as a TRUE ACT OF LOVE AND PASSION!  I have been SO SLAMMED with end of year demand, pending CES and other issues that I have not made as much progress as I would like, but the chassis design, input circtuitry, power supply demands and choice of output devices have all been determined - at least for prototyping.  I also have a sample 1300VA power transforer (14Kg!).

I am shooting for end of Q2 for soonest release, but to be honest, it will NOT be released until I am certain that it is RIGHT.

I was uncertain how to approach this area of integrated products, vs. separates. My initial intent was a $4K-$5K product that would essentially be a combination of our LS 100/KWA 100 design but hybrid, with tube input stage.  I soon found that the hybrid design - done RIGHT - would add more cost than expected, i.e. transformer coupled, no capacitors in signal path, zero negative feedback, for purest signal path.  I also feel that the design should be min. 200W into 8 ohms and I plan to offer integral DAC for maximum integration.  Chassis will necessarily be very rigid to accmodate oversided power transformer. Ultimately, this will be a more expensive and higher-end product than initially anticipated.  It will be designed to be EXCEPTIONAL and the price will be determined by our end build cost. I  am not indicating that this will be a COST NOT OBJECT design with stratospheric retail price, just that it will be in a different price-point than our current 100 series products.

I plan for it to be not so much of an integrated amp as a central music playback piece, requiring only ONE pair of HIGH QUALITY speaker cables, ONW digital cable or pair of analog interconnects, ONE HIGH QUALITY power cord, and a great pair of speakers.  The DAC will allow for multiple digital inputs, including USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU(XLR).  There will also of course be line-inputs for phono and other analog sources, but the principle will be to simplify, integrate and provide the shortest signal path with the absolute purest and most musical sound possible.

Aesthetics will be EXEPTIONAL and WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) will be very high. Not to mention the lack of cabling and multiple boxes will please the wife also.  In its simplest form, the integrated amp could be fed digital from a central music server and you have at your fingertips, a library of potentially an unlimited library of music!

Thanks for all of your feedback and I will certainly contact beta testers when complete - and not JUST in the U.S.!

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
www.modwright.com

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:34 pm »
Design to performace point is exactly what somebody does when they want to offer quality over quantity

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »
Agreed!  And that has ALWAYS been the focus of MWI!

I will never offer a product that I am not proud to put my name on! This means that it provides performance, value and QUALITY!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

bummrush

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:36 pm »
Ah someday I will put it on my hi fi goal list.which begs the question how may design to price point and who designs to a performance point should be a question we ask when shopping for hi fi.

jwes

« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:29 am »
Hi Dan,

I know this goes agains the "one box" idea, but please humor me...  If we wanted to bi-amp, could we use the integrated on one side, with all the inputs and DAC, etc., and then one of your other amps for the other side?  It would probably require a match with the 150 or 100, but just curious.  This would allow a couple speaker possibilities I'm considering.  Thanks!!

Jim