How to tame room resonances

paco.valadez

How to tame room resonances
« on: 1 Sep 2014, 05:41 pm »
Hi guys!! I recently moved to my new home and had to use a rectangular room for my 2 channel set up. Due to windows and doors, I had to locate the speakers along the long wall of the room. Measurements: Width 4.6m, length 3.9m and height 2.6m. Overall, the room sounds pretty good but due to excessive use of drywall, I am getting many reflections in spite of ASC tube traps, GIK panels and Synergistic Research HFT treatment.

Someone suggested to use skyline diffusers on the ceiling to tame those reflections. Also, get a larger and thicker carpet for the listening area. I have not heard of the skyline option before but I am a bit lost in terms of what my room needs regarding frequency diffusion range. I see many on line calculators to build a diffuser but I have failed to find the actual reasoning for the size, area covered and frequency range.

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out!!!!!

Thanks a lot

jimtranr

Re: How to tame room resonances
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2014, 09:28 pm »
If those are CD's in the tall,  narrow vertical cabinet on the left side, they appear to be near, if not at, the left-side first reflection point. If that's so, the plastic CD jewel-case spines could be giving you at least as much reflection trouble as bare drywall. That's been my experience in a similar situation, and (1) moving the CD cabinet out of there and (2) treating that now-exposed wall with an acoustic panel similar to the GIK's you have on the front wall would likely clean up the left-side reflection issue appreciably. 

Obviously, I don't know your room apart from the photo, so treat this as a for-what-it's-worth.

Jim     

paco.valadez

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2014, 09:41 pm »
Thanks a lot for you suggestion. I will try a different placing for the Cd's and evaluate.

Best Regards!!!

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2014, 11:39 pm »
Hi paco,

I wanted to make sure you were not misunderstanding the advice above... The important thing is not to move the cd's but to treat your first reflection points, whether that be where the cd's happen to be OR where the vinyl is. Treating first reflection will help. Might not help the room resonance you mentioned, depends on what the issue is there and at what frequency.
Also, if your head is very close to the rear wall you have an issue there to fix.

paco.valadez

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:44 pm »
OK got it.

Any ideas for ceiling acoustic treatment??

Thanks

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2014, 06:03 pm »
Generally speaking diffusion is not used in the early reflection points as you want to hear the direct sound coming from the speaker vs the speaker then the short delayed reflection off the diffusor. With that said A LOT of 2 channel guys like the effect. You may want to visit a room with diffusion in this area to see what you think. BTW if you are going to RMAF we will have Q7Ds on the side wall reflection points if you want to hear the effect.

I also totally agree about the above with the side walls.

brother love

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2014, 08:53 pm »
I would experiment & take the 2 outer panels behind your speakers & place them at the early reflection points on the side walls directly in front of the cases currently in place. If the side acoustic panels yield good results & relocating your side wall cases is not practical...  GIK Acoustics has the 24" x 60" panels with built-in stands that you could use when listening, then move for access:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/freestand-acoustic-panel-gobo/

A couple good articles about room set-up & early reflection points:

http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

paco.valadez

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2014, 10:08 pm »
Guys thanks so much for your support. Here are my main issues:

1.- I have no other place to locate my vinyl racks. I understand about the side reflections but I will have to live with that for the time being.
2.- My hard wood (laminate) wood floor is also an issue. The floor is floated so it does make sound. I just ordered a big enough rug to tame this.

The ceiling is also drywall and I am positive is affecting the sound.

What would you guys suggest for the ceiling? From what I have read, the ceiling needs diffusion.

Thanks