Bryston Multichannel System

Grant Hill

Bryston Multichannel System
« on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:53 am »
Hi All,

I wanted to know your opinion on a full Bryston stereo system vs a home theater one (5.1). Assuming you have the same frontal speakers, which one would you choose? Of course home theater will be great with movies and multichannel software (Sacd, DVD, blu ray), but what about stereo music?
How will a surround processor like SP3 plus multichannel amp will sound in 2.0 compared to a classic stereo (B26, BP173 plus 3B3 for instance)?

Thanks for your opinions!
Carlo

Pundamilia

Re: Bryston Multichannel System
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2017, 01:23 pm »
It all depends on what you are more interested in: movies or music. I set up a home theatre in our basement many years ago so that my wife could watch TV and I could still listen to my (mostly Bryston) stereo system. Unless you watch a lot of DVDs or Blue-Ray discs, you will not get a lot of leverage from the additional investment in home theatre. Ours is rarely used, while my stereo is used regularly. But then those are my preferences. YMMV

gbaby

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2017, 02:59 pm »
If you purchase the SP3, you'll have the best of both worlds in stereo and multi-channel. I would not buy an exclusive stereo pre-amp in today's music world. There is simply too much immersive multi-channel music to enjoy.

Grant Hill

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2017, 03:48 pm »
thank you guys for sharing you experience.

Gaby, do you use an SP3 in your system?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2017, 04:53 pm »
My SP3 does double-duty... it's the pre-pro for my TV, so all my cable, streaming, and Blu-ray movies all go through it. I also use the same setup for my 2ch music listening.

From a sound quality point of view, I couldn't be happier. In a perfect world, I'd have a dedicated room, more acoustic room treatment, etc. If you listen to multi-channel music, I'd think this would be one of your best options.

Grant Hill

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2017, 07:39 pm »
Thank you Grit.

Which power ampli do you use with SP3?

Blueshound

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:33 pm »
Assuming that you have a suitable room, and the interest in both multichannel and two channel, you can have at or close to the best of both worlds.

I have a dedicated room that allows both. I've steadily been evolving into an almost fully Bryston system, with an SP3 as the centerpiece.  If I had to choose, I would prioritize music listening over movies, concert videos, and so on.  Roughly 85% of my use is 2-channel music listening.

An SP3 is ideal for this dual usage, IMO. It makes a very fine sounding 2-channel preamp, partiularly in 2CH Bypass.  I use both a Bryston BDA3 Dac and a Bryston turntable system for music. Speakers are Model T Signature.

They work so well in my largish room that I've disconnected the subwoofers.

Dynamics, imaging and transparency. I don't feel like either use is compromised.

Brian

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:53 am »
Thank you Grit.

Which power ampli do you use with SP3?

4BSST2 and 6BSST2

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2017, 06:55 am »
Carlo,

audio/video formats are ever changing these days. and i would say that video is much more worse than audio. a good option would be a BP17 cubed preamp for stereo and its bypass function can be used with an a/v receiver which has all the latest and greatest bells and whistles regarding the audio/video formats.

al.

Grant Hill

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2017, 07:26 am »
Assuming that you have a suitable room, and the interest in both multichannel and two channel, you can have at or close to the best of both worlds.

I have a dedicated room that allows both. I've steadily been evolving into an almost fully Bryston system, with an SP3 as the centerpiece.  If I had to choose, I would prioritize music listening over movies, concert videos, and so on.  Roughly 85% of my use is 2-channel music listening.

An SP3 is ideal for this dual usage, IMO. It makes a very fine sounding 2-channel preamp, partiularly in 2CH Bypass.  I use both a Bryston BDA3 Dac and a Bryston turntable system for music. Speakers are Model T Signature.

They work so well in my largish room that I've disconnected the subwoofers.

Dynamics, imaging and transparency. I don't feel like either use is compromised.

Brian

Hi Brian,

thank you for your post. I am planning something similar in the future as I might have one dedicated room. In case, I'll probably listen 85% of my time to stero music rather than movies/multichannel like you do.

Never heard an SP3, but it must be great. I think it's one of the few multichannel preamp that it performs both for stero and 5.1

Grant Hill

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2017, 07:28 am »
4BSST2 and 6BSST2

cool  :D 6BSST2 for L,R, Center and 4BSST2 for back?

Grant Hill

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2017, 07:30 am »
Carlo,

audio/video formats are ever changing these days. and i would say that video is much more worse than audio. a good option would be a BP17 cubed preamp for stereo and its bypass function can be used with an a/v receiver which has all the latest and greatest bells and whistles regarding the audio/video formats.

al.

thank you Alex. this is another option indeed.

C.

gbaby

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:59 pm »

Gaby, do you use an SP3 in your system?

Is the Pope Catholic? :lol:

Grant Hill

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2017, 05:16 pm »
 :lol:

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2017, 08:30 pm »
cool  :D 6BSST2 for L,R, Center and 4BSST2 for back?

Close... 4BSST2 for L/R, 6BSST2 for center/surrounds. That way, I can power up just the 4BSST2 for music.

Grant Hill

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm »
I like the idea...

Grant Hill

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:03 am »
any hint from Bryston's staff?  :D

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2017, 12:44 pm »
Carlo,

al.

That is exactly what I would do.  I have 3 systems with preamps with HT Bypass (although I am using one in 2-channel only).  I owned an SP1.7 and used it for both.  I view a receiver as more or less disposable (good for so long and then I either rotate it to a secondary system or if it is old enough and not worth much I'll give it away) and have bought factory refurbs for my last several.  With the 2 systems where I use the HT Bypass, I have Dolby Atmos/DTS X capability and there are soundtracks on movies where the surround is really impressive.

Grant Hill

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2017, 01:24 pm »
Hi Phil,

so what you're saying is to use a stereo pre with HT bypass plus Pre AV plus multichannel power amplifier, right?

Thanks,
Carlo

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2017, 03:11 pm »
Hi Phil,

so what you're saying is to use a stereo pre with HT bypass plus Pre AV plus multichannel power amplifier, right?

Thanks,
Carlo

Carlo - now I have receivers for the surround channels (the left and right channel are outboard amps - basically with HT Bypass the left and right pre out of the receiver goes into the HT Bypass input of the preamp and the preamp output goes to the power amp so the receiver remote controls the volume for all channels).  I have used the current main system preamp with HT Bypass with an AV premap processor and multiple outboard amps (including a 3 channel amp for the front 3 channels) in the old place.  For a short bit in the main system, I used a monoblock amp for the center channel.  Had some lightning damage at the end of March.  Had to replace the receiver and HT sub in the main system (plus other stuff) and the monoblock amp took a hit too so I'm just using the receiver for the center channel at this point. 

The HT Bypass solution basically means you buy a 2 channel preamp and power amp of your choice.  When you listen to 2-channel music, sources get connected to the 2-channel preamp.  Your video (e.g. Blu-Ray) player gets connected to the receiver.