Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .
« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2015, 08:17 pm »
Manny will need to throw 800 punches to beat Floyd.  He hasn't thrown over 780 in recent years.  Opponents land only 16% of their punches against Mayweather while he lands at a 46% rate.  The fighter who lands the most punches wins at an over 90% clip.  Floyd Mayweather in a decision.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2015, 04:51 am »
I've said it before, this time I mean it.  I will never, ever buy another Mayweather fight.  As usual, both guys leave with faces looking just like when they entered.  All Floyd's worried about is not getting hit, and he doesn't hit back with any authority.  Flat out boring, and a waste of money.

dB Cooper

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2015, 05:15 am »
I was going to a friend's house to see it but passed out after work. Woke up again, too late to go. Have been texting some friends and the consensus was that it was a good, not great, fight. Problem was, after 5 years of boxing-politics bullsh**, it needed to be a great fight to be good for the sport. The hot actress Elizabeth Banks tweeted "Floyd Mayweather is an incredible fighter, but he just bored me out of $100." And Brian Campbell of ESPN said, "We never saw Pacquiao empty the tank and go for broke." Wallace Matthews, also of ESPN: "That was exactly the fight I expected to see but hoped I wouldn't."

Timing was right- for Floyd's business purposes, not for fans.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2015, 01:15 pm »
You mean it WASN'T "Dancing with the Stars?"

jimdgoulding

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2015, 02:03 pm »
I was going to a friend's house to see it but passed out after work. Woke up again, too late to go. Have been texting some friends and the consensus was that it was a good, not great, fight. Problem was, after 5 years of boxing-politics bullsh**, it needed to be a great fight to be good for the sport. The hot actress Elizabeth Banks tweeted "Floyd Mayweather is an incredible fighter, but he just bored me out of $100." And Brian Campbell of ESPN said, "We never saw Pacquiao empty the tank and go for broke." Wallace Matthews, also of ESPN: "That was exactly the fight I expected to see but hoped I wouldn't."

Timing was right- for Floyd's business purposes, not for fans.
My goodness, what commentary, dB.  You're quite the editor you are.  Miss Banks can thank her lucky stars she wasn't paying for ringside.  Wallace Matthews took the words right outta my mouth (good quote).  Oh well, I got to eat for free and the beer was cold. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2015, 02:18 pm »
It's plain to me that neither Manny nor Floyd was the loser last night. The people who wasted $100 or more are the ones who register this loss.
What in the name of weird hope and unrealistic optimism ever made you think this so-called fight was anything but a money-making scam?

steve in jersey

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2015, 03:41 pm »
Why anyone would spend $100 to watch a fighter against a boxer in the 1st place is beyond me.

The fighter would be better off (or at least more entertaining) if he went into MMA fighting !! At least he'd have a better understanding
of what he was doing

(How much abuse do you think a football player would take if he came out & said he had an "injured shoulder" after a game he'd lost ?;
Everyone made their money, it was time to turn off the lights & just go home) (Well at least I still have the Stanley Cup Playoffs:without
the player the NHL has been try to force down our throats as "The Next One")

Eugene2

« Reply #47 on: 3 May 2015, 04:51 pm »
For me it's simple with the introduction of MMA people are no longer looking for the "sweet science" they are looking for "blood sport."  If that's the case stop complaining and watch MMA which is brutality in it's best form, somewhat like gladiators.  I listened to commentary ad nauseam last night and this morning, it's funny most boxers thought it was a good fight, minus Mike Tyson.  People that saw any running were not watching the fight they were waiting for the blood.  Mayweather is a master boxer, he used his length, check left hook and straight right to cause Pacquiao to quit.  I watched the fight closely and had it 9 - 3, I didn't see a close fight.  I'll watch again next weekend.  I boxed for many years and there's no getting around it, Mayweather's fights are boring if you're looking for a toe to toe war, something beside the shoulder stopped Pacquiao from charging it was distance, the check left hook and mostly the straight right which doesn't have knockout power, it hurts enough to stop fighters from charging straight forward.  Mayweather is so good at what he does he makes the best fighters look like sparing partners

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 3 May 2015, 05:01 pm »
As compared to the many fights I've seen of Manny I have to wonder . . where was he?  He was the least busy I remember ever having seen him.  Surely he couldn't have thought he could win on ring generalship.  This guy has been successful because of relentless pressure and a multitude of angles and punches.  Where was his footwork, his aggressiveness?  I'll watch it again when its replayed on the telly- maybe Floyd intimidated or neutralized him somehow- but as of right now, I think Manny just gave Floyd too much time and space.  If there is a rematch, think Floyd would go to the Phillipines?  Or, China?  I don't think they could sell enough tickets in Vegas.  It was that unremarkable to me.

RDavidson

« Reply #49 on: 3 May 2015, 05:07 pm »
Good fight, and honestly about what I expected. Wanted Pacquaio to win. Mayweather controlled the fight with defense.........which is smart (particularly in this case), but ultimately boring. If he's so dominant, as he boasts, then he wouldn't play defense THE ENTIRE FIGHT. A dominant fighter will use defense as necessary. Mayweather used defense as a way to not fight. Maybe just a few times did I see Mayweather as the aggressor, and it was typically only after one of his zillion defensive jabs. Not the fight anyone likes to see, though I understand the reasons it played out the way it did. It was the top offensive fighter vs the top defensive fighter.

Fighting styles and tactics aside (and all else being close to equal give or take a little in all boxing skill categories), I believe it was Mayweathers's height / size advantage that won the fight ; That long accurate jab that kept Pacquaio from getting inside where he needed to be......in which case I think we would've seen those 700-800 punches thrown from him. Pac can't throw the number of punches needed to win if he can't get close enough to throw them.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 3 May 2015, 05:14 pm »
PS to the above-  Floyd is sooo much quicker than any of those fighters that made Manny look good. 

RDavidson

« Reply #51 on: 3 May 2015, 05:21 pm »
To suggest Manny was thrown off by Floyd's speed is ridiculous. To allude that Manny is slow, is absurd.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 3 May 2015, 05:30 pm »
To suggest Manny was thrown off by Floyd's speed is ridiculous. To allude that Manny is slow, is absurd.
If that is in reply to my post, never implied Manny is slow and quick well timed jabs (Mayweather) can keep a guy (Manny) off his lead foot and at bay.  Think I may have answered my own question.

RDavidson

« Reply #53 on: 3 May 2015, 06:18 pm »
I thought you were talking about foot / body speed, not hand speed.
I agree, Mayweather's lead left is not only fast, it is accurate. He controlled the fight with it and won with it. I am willing to bet that 60%-70% of his landed punches came from that left.

But, to my core point, without Mayweather's size advantage (ie if Pacquaio and Mayweather were the same size and frame measurements) those lefts wouldn't have been nearly as effective, as Manny would've been within his effective attack range much more often. I'm not saying Manny would've won in this case. Just pointing out what I see as the main deciding factor in the fight.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #54 on: 3 May 2015, 07:16 pm »
I thought you were talking about foot / body speed, not hand speed.
I agree, Mayweather's lead left is not only fast, it is accurate. He controlled the fight with it and won with it. I am willing to bet that 60%-70% of his landed punches came from that left.

But, to my core point, without Mayweather's size advantage (ie if Pacquaio and Mayweather were the same size and frame measurements) those lefts wouldn't have been nearly as effective, as Manny would've been within his effective attack range much more often. I'm not saying Manny would've won in this case. Just pointing out what I see as the main deciding factor in the fight.
Agree with you on both points.  Floyd's ring generalship was commendable.  He really dictated the fight, imo, with the help of the advantages you pointed out.  Gotta give him his due. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #56 on: 3 May 2015, 08:11 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/TheFightDepot1/videos/549155421906642/

That wasn't what happened in the fight, no matter how humorous the video might be.  Floyd out boxed Manny, flat out beat him in the center of the ring and managed him very well on the ropes.  He didn't dance away or shoulder roll him at all, except for the last 15 seconds of the fight which doesn't count.  He kept Manny off of him with jabs and straight right hands, just like a boxer should do it.  I was very impressed with Mayweather's skill and disappointed in Manny's effort.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #57 on: 3 May 2015, 08:35 pm »
Just don't see it that way.  Floyd doesn't win fights, he wins rounds.  He isn't impressive, and doesn't hurt anybody.  And when he gets hurt, his shoulder roll goes away and he forgets his whole defensive posture. 

Manny is just as much of a train as Floyd is.

Pardon me dawg, was that the Pacquiano choo choo??
Floyd had his fare
And just a trifle to spare

When you hear the ring bell chimin' eight to the bar
Then you know that Mayweather's not very far
Shovel all the coal in
Gotta keep it rollin'
Woo, woo, Pacquiano where you are?

RDavidson

« Reply #58 on: 3 May 2015, 08:42 pm »
Wasn't what happened?
No one said anything about dancing or shoulder rolling.
Mayweather is obviously a great fighter, but it isn't like he dominated his opponent.
Mayweather knew what he needed to do to control the fight against the smaller yet more aggressive opponent, and executed to perfection : jab left, counter right. Plain and simple.
Well......not "simple" against Pacquiao, but Mayweather's size advantage (mated to high skill level) made it look simple.
Indeed, he is an impressive fighter. Wish he was a more impressive character.

jackman

« Reply #59 on: 4 May 2015, 12:11 am »
That wasn't what happened in the fight, no matter how humorous the video might be.  Floyd out boxed Manny, flat out beat him in the center of the ring and managed him very well on the ropes.  He didn't dance away or shoulder roll him at all, except for the last 15 seconds of the fight which doesn't count.  He kept Manny off of him with jabs and straight right hands, just like a boxer should do it.  I was very impressed with Mayweather's skill and disappointed in Manny's effort.

It was just a joke.  From what I hear, I'm glad I didn't spend any money to watch that fight. Floyd is a very skilled boxer but is very boring to watch, IMO.