Austin Area BBQ?

Se7en

Austin Area BBQ?
« on: 26 Sep 2008, 04:56 am »
Here goes!

What do you folks think of having a little Austin area audio get together and BBQ sometime in the near future?

I'm thinking that it would be a cool opportunity for the locals to meet up (especially me being new to the area), listen to some music/gear, have some good food, laughs, etc.

I'll gladly host but must warn of my modest system and lack of experince hosting one of these before (lot's of Q's, no audio events).

Let me know if you're interested and we can go from there.

-Gabriel

FredT300B

• Facilitator
Re: Austin Area BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:53 am »
I'm in Houston, but with two sons in Austin I'm there at least one weekend a month and would like to join you for the BBQ.

Se7en

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:37 am »
FredT300B,

It would be great to meet you!

However with 54 looks and only one acceptance maybe a little enticing is required.

I'll throw in a view for free!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2008, 02:37 am »
Wow! What a gorgeous place.  Austin is just 3-4 hours away for me- a good excuse to put a few miles on my Goldwing.  And some good BBQ is always an enticement.  aa

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2008, 02:54 am »
Sorry Gabe the weekends are hard for me.

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:51 am »
I've emailed Eric whose down your way and rides a Wing also. Too bad it's not in two weeks (Monday-Wednesday) as I will be down there for a conference before flying to Denver for RMAF. Would love to meet some new faces but I'll have to settle for 6th street one more time, darn :D

Austin is a great city, excellent music and beautiful views :thumb: One of the nicest areas I've been in Texas. Seems like it has something for everyone.

Good luck with your BBQ.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:11 am »
Darn joe got any cheap VACs you could bring me?

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2008, 12:44 pm »
FredT300B,
It would be great to meet you!
However with 54 looks and only one acceptance maybe a little enticing is required.

Plan it and they will come. Did I forget to mention a fascinating but little-known fact about Texas audiophiles? They don't RSVP, they just show up at the appointed time. Damdest thing I've ever seen, but I've hosted many audio events and even cancelled one because of an apparent lack of interest, only to find later that several people were planning to come but hadn't bothered to tell me. I finally gave up asking who will come. I just plan it for a Saturday afternoon, and typically about ten to twenty show up. Just be sure to avoid conflicting events like the RMAF. Here's the link to a thread about another Austin host's frustration with this issue: http://lonestarbottleheads.org/forums/index.php?topic=119.0

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:10 pm »
Gabe is that the Mansfield dam were looking at? Awesome views their bud, I believe were in the middle right of the photo over in Lakeway. I would be interested in attending a bbq some weekend. I have a couple of items I could contribute. Maybe we could do a bookshelf speaker shootout or something. Maybe get Danny to send us his new GR Research Neo's that are getting rave reviews.

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:28 pm »
Nice house and view Gabe!  If it's the right weekend I would try and make it down there, I owe John a visit anyway...

David -     cheap....VAC.....really?  Come on dude  :lol:

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2008, 03:44 pm »
Maybe get Danny to send us his new GR Research Neo's that are getting rave reviews.
I've got the guts for a pair in my garage. A listening session would help get me off my but to put them together.  I could also bring my Dodd battery pre.

kyyuan

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2008, 03:51 pm »
It'd seem to be a fun trip.  I have a "smaller" VAC, but not a cheap VAC, that could use a roadtrip.   aa

gitarretyp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2008, 04:11 pm »
A BBQ sounds like fun. My schedule's been really busy lately, but i'd try to make it to your BBQ.

Se7en

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2008, 09:11 pm »
FredT300B,
Thanks for the tip! The Q is on. We'll just call this an "Emergency Practice BBQ", in case a real one ever happens.

Nick77,
Yes, that would be the one. Thanks for the compliment, we lucked out with this place, ultimately it was the view that sold us :) I think that a bookshelf shootout could be a lot of fun!
I have a good size room (the future dedicated sound room) that could be perfect for the shootout. I just need to empty it is all.

Arthurs,
Not my house in the pic unfortunately. I only have a good view of the "really" nice house that makes my place look like a shack. Let me know if you need any help getting those LS9s over here  :lol:

Everyone else: Bring your Dodds, your VACs, and anything else you think would be fun.

Let's tentatively shoot for some time in October (after RMAF of course) and let's figure out what dates work best for folks.

It's official, the first Austin Area Emergency Practice Audio BBQ is underway!   :banana piano:

-Gabe

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:40 pm »
Nice house and view Gabe!  If it's the right weekend I would try and make it down there, I owe John a visit anyway...

David -     cheap....VAC.....really?  Come on dude  :lol:

A man can hope cant they? Also maybe I will be able to come for a bit if I can talk my Boss into it! Gabes place is the perfect location for a get together! Awesome really. Also please keep in Mind TX/OU game and dont do OCT 11. Please

Delacroix

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2008, 04:16 pm »
Here goes!

What do you folks think of having a little Austin area audio get together and BBQ sometime in the near future?

I'm thinking that it would be a cool opportunity for the locals to meet up (especially me being new to the area), listen to some music/gear, have some good food, laughs, etc.

I'll gladly host but must warn of my modest system and lack of experince hosting one of these before (lot's of Q's, no audio events).

Let me know if you're interested and we can go from there.

-Gabriel

Hi Gabriel -- thanks -- sounds like fun, am interested if the dates work, so add one more to your list :)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2008, 08:10 pm »
I will attend, happlily.  Jim 

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2008, 10:17 pm »
depending on the date i might be able to make the trip down south.

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2008, 10:42 pm »
Hey Gabe,
It's starting to look like you need to put on an extra brisket! :D 

Scott

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:00 pm »
brisket? we don't need no stinkin' brisket give me ribs baby :drool: