Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3960 on: 24 May 2015, 07:16 am »
A few random images from Germany.

Neighborhood Watchdog
    We feel very well protected as this working class haus frau keeps "abreast" of any and all local news.

Checking The Menu
     One can't be too careful as to what might be on the menu. Always check to be sure!

Stud
     This, very male, German sunbather brings a whole new meaning to "Über."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3961 on: 24 May 2015, 02:00 pm »
Simple, Bob. You have no DOF because:

Your zoom lens is in the telephoto range.
Low light = wide aperture/slow shutter speed.
You are too impatient to use a tripod.

And you haven't adjusted the camera diopter so you can actually see what you are doing.

You're welcome!    :thumb:

Well that's a lot to chew on.  :o
I bought the new lens and my picture quality went straight into the toilet.
I certainly didn't think there would be much of a learning curve with the purchase of a lens.
Thank you for the "CC" Bob, I work on those.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3962 on: 24 May 2015, 02:29 pm »
Couldn't resist yanking your chain, Bro!    :lol:

It's not the lens, it's physics (which I never took in school, BTW).

Any time you get in close on a subject, hole saw, flower, whatever, small focusing errors become very apparent.  On a landscape image you could miss the focus point by 50 yards and not notice, but in close ups a 1/4" error can make all the difference in the world. 

What's more, low-light shooting exacerbates the problem because the lens aperture is wide open or nearly so, which further reduces your DOF.  Add that to shooting very close subjects and you have a real challenge no matter what the shooter's skill level.  But the camera does "warn" you with the information in the viewfinder.

DSLRs display the shutter speed and aperture settings.  When you are shooting close a 3.5 or 5.6 f-stop is not your friend.  You need to be in the 11, 16, or 22 aperture if at all possible.  That will force the shutter speed to slow way down (as shown in the viewfinder), hence the need for a tripod.   You could run the ISO way up but that's only a partial solution that  results in a noticeable increase in digital noise.

Lastly, think of your plain of focus.  DOF is improved/easier when the subject is 100% parallel to the lens and camera sensor.  The surface of the hole saw is not parallel so it would be extremely difficult to get all of the image in focus.  There are some tilt-shift lenses that could do what the old-fashioned wood-and-bellows view cameras can do, but AFAIK you lose all auto controls with those lenses.  As well as a LOT of cash... :o

Some of the better shooters (bside, Pete, Guy13, or Jon L) could weigh in on these comments, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Enjoy the weekend, Master Chef Bob, and think of those for whom it is named.  I'll be in STL tomorrow and hope to get to Jefferson Barracks Nat'l Cemetery.   :bowdown:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3963 on: 24 May 2015, 02:50 pm »
Very good information Bob, thank you!  :thumb:
The old kit lens was better at these type of shots than the new lens. And by "these type shots", I mean the ones where I grab the camera, select [AUTO], and snap a pic.
This unit is much more finicky. Looks like it's going to force me to be a better operator.  :duh: :lol:

....and that's a big "YES" to thinking about the meaning of the long weekend.  :bowdown:
Are you going to visit the cemeteries newest member, the soldier found in Vietnam recently?

FireGuy

« Reply #3964 on: 24 May 2015, 02:51 pm »
Going to visit the USS Arlington today in Norfolk.  Will try to get a couple of great shots.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3965 on: 24 May 2015, 03:07 pm »
I mean the ones where I grab the camera, select [AUTO], and snap a pic.

In audio terms that's called "Bose."

bside123

« Reply #3966 on: 24 May 2015, 03:14 pm »
In audio terms that's called "Bose."

:nono:  Not fair.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3967 on: 24 May 2015, 03:17 pm »
That's what my wife said.   :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3968 on: 24 May 2015, 03:18 pm »
 :lol:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3969 on: 24 May 2015, 03:21 pm »
Back to our regular programming.

June 6th, last year, Normandy American Cemetery.   I'd wager this woman came to see her father…..

bside123

« Reply #3970 on: 24 May 2015, 03:21 pm »
That's 'cause you're "just not right." Glad to see there's a voice of reason in your household.  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #3971 on: 24 May 2015, 03:22 pm »
Nothing regular around here!

Guy 13

« Reply #3972 on: 24 May 2015, 04:49 pm »
Couldn't resist yanking your chain, Bro!    :lol:

It's not the lens, it's physics (which I never took in school, BTW).

Any time you get in close on a subject, hole saw, flower, whatever, small focusing errors become very apparent.  On a landscape image you could miss the focus point by 50 yards and not notice, but in close ups a 1/4" error can make all the difference in the world. 

What's more, low-light shooting exacerbates the problem because the lens aperture is wide open or nearly so, which further reduces your DOF.  Add that to shooting very close subjects and you have a real challenge no matter what the shooter's skill level.  But the camera does "warn" you with the information in the viewfinder.

DSLRs display the shutter speed and aperture settings.  When you are shooting close a 3.5 or 5.6 f-stop is not your friend.  You need to be in the 11, 16, or 22 aperture if at all possible.  That will force the shutter speed to slow way down (as shown in the viewfinder), hence the need for a tripod.   You could run the ISO way up but that's only a partial solution that  results in a noticeable increase in digital noise.

Lastly, think of your plain of focus.  DOF is improved/easier when the subject is 100% parallel to the lens and camera sensor.  The surface of the hole saw is not parallel so it would be extremely difficult to get all of the image in focus.  There are some tilt-shift lenses that could do what the old-fashioned wood-and-bellows view cameras can do, but AFAIK you lose all auto controls with those lenses.  As well as a LOT of cash... :o

Some of the better shooters (bside, Pete, Guy13, or Jon L) could weigh in on these comments, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Enjoy the weekend, Master Chef Bob, and think of those for whom it is named.  I'll be in STL tomorrow and hope to get to Jefferson Barracks Nat'l Cemetery.   :bowdown:

Hi thunderbrick,
I agree 100% with the above and may I add that if you can, use a tripod,
because any movements forward or backward from the subject will throw the picture
out of focus since macro focusing is critical because of the shallow depth of field.
If you can go manual, set the aperture around F11 - F16 and shutter speed above 1/60s
so that the mirror movement dissipate before the sensor take the picture.
To make a good or perfect picture it takes time,
the same with a woman, to make her happy it takes time. :oops: 
:lol: :thumb:

Guy 13

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3973 on: 24 May 2015, 06:35 pm »

the same with a woman, to make her happy it takes time. :oops: 
:lol: :thumb:

Guy 13

Full time, Guy, full time.

jhm731

« Reply #3974 on: 24 May 2015, 06:59 pm »
Another iPhone picture:

FireGuy

« Reply #3975 on: 24 May 2015, 07:31 pm »
Thank you PO2 "Justin" for the personal tour (USS Arlington). To all military (past and present) thank you.

milford3

« Reply #3976 on: 24 May 2015, 08:10 pm »
Great pictures FireGuy.  Hats off to are military. :thumb:  Forgot to add this.  The Ma Duce 50 cal machine gun is awesome
« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 12:39 am by milford3 »

apollophono

« Reply #3977 on: 24 May 2015, 09:32 pm »
+1 on the soldiers past and present that have protected our way of life.  THANK YOU!!
I didn't have the guts to do it myself.  Father was merchant marine, army and air
force. 

jhm731

« Reply #3978 on: 26 May 2015, 01:53 am »

bside123

« Reply #3979 on: 26 May 2015, 10:07 pm »
A couple of images from Ghent, Belgium. Castles and cathedrals date back to as early as the 13th century! Makes the history of our US history feel very young.

Ghent Castle

Ghent Church