JRiver Printer Setup Help Needed

Don_S

JRiver Printer Setup Help Needed
« on: 24 May 2015, 03:19 pm »
I am new to JRiver and can't figure out how to set up a printer.  I recently burned a composition CD and wanted to print a label for the CD case.  Much easier than typing in 18 track titles and artists.  After burning the CD I tried using the print wizard in the burn program. I was instructed to install a printer.  When I clicked on that link it told me the print spooler was not active.  What does that mean? 

My printer was on.  I searched JRiver for a separate printer install program and could not find one. Installing a printer will be a big help in the future.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

srb

Re: JRiver Printer Setup Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2015, 04:09 pm »
JRiver uses the installed system printers and there isn't any special or separate printer setup in JRiver.

Are you using Windows?  Are you currently printing from other programs on this computer?  Did an audio optimization program (or did you manually) disable the Print Spooler service?

That's what sounds like has happened, as a disabled Print Spooler service will cause all printers to not show and generate the errors that you are getting.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2015, 04:16 pm »
Steve,  Thanks for the help.  I am using W7 and the printer works fine via Bluetooth. My printer list for normal printing from anything but JRiver shows two printers.  The two are really the same printer.  Sometimes it is connected via Bluetooth and other times (for big projects) by USB.

If the spooler was off would they show up in the printer list?  Oh, and what the heck is a "print spooler"?  :scratch: :lol:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2015, 04:29 pm »
I'm don't know if you are printing directly to a Bluetooth-enabled printer or through the computer, but check the status of the Print Spooler service in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Print Spooler and see if it is running or disabled.

You can right-click on it and select Properties to check status and change it from Disabled to Automatic if needed as well as Stop and Start the service.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2015, 04:54 pm »
Steve,  I checked and the spooler is on automatic.

I found the problem.  :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I am using a remote control program on my W7 computer to control the W8-powered music server in my rack.  CD burning was done on the server so that was where the file was that I wanted to print.  The music server is not set up for printing. The remote control program gives me so much access that I forgot what I was seeing on the W7 control computer monitor is not really on the W7 computer.   :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry.  Thanks for your help.  I was fixated on the problem being with the print spooler. That made sense since I sometimes have connection problems or freeze up with printer files. Resolving that issue made me rethink. And now I am thinking I should have stayed in bed.  :lol: