BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

doveman

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #860 on: 3 May 2015, 09:40 am »
I am looking at either Sennheiser HD800 vs Audeze LCD-2 as my next headphone. I know there are plenty of threads on the internet, but basically I cannot try either before buying, the nearest dealer would be a 5+ hour round trip.

I like the LCD-2 just comes standard with a balanced cable, and a hard carry case, etc and actually look very nice with the wood finish, the HD800 don't actually look like expensive headphones because of the design and plastic, but then there is the issue? of the LCD2 cracking.

At any rate they cost about the same where I am, except as I said I would have to buy an additional balanced cable for the HD800.

Can anyone comment on which headphone has better synergy with the BHA-1 out of the above two models? And is the cracking really an issue or fairly isolated?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #861 on: 3 May 2015, 11:28 am »
I love my LCD-2's (no cracking/damage ever/whatsoever). I also tried the HD800's. I REALLY think it's a matter of what type of music you most frequently listen to. The BHA-1 sounds great, regardless of what you use with it.

R. Daneel

« Reply #862 on: 4 May 2015, 08:26 am »
The BHA-1 is an extremely balanced amplifier and it's power delivery is quite linear meaning all the frequencies are amplifierd equally so even at full volume, the sound is very consistent. In that respect, it will work excellent with any headphones you might wish to use with it as long as the impedance of those headphones is sufficiently high.

If HD800 and LCD2 cost the same, then you have to decide for yourself. I will tell you this though - the transient response (the attack and drama) as well as detail resolution and spatial imaging is way better on HD800 than even the LCD3. If that is something you like, then HD800 is your candidate. If you like more pace and added extension in the low end as well as withdrawn top end, then LCD2 will be more to your liking, especially because it will be more forgiving with average recordings.

The HD800 is built to a much higher standatd than the LCD2 and LCD3. The point in fact is, the materials used for HD800 are composite and believe me, I know something about these. They will last. I have not heard any complaints regarding the Sennheiser, especially the HD800, whereas I have heard criticisms about Audeze's quality more than once.

Hope this helps!

Post a picture when you make a decision and buy something!

Cheers!
Antun

larevoj

« Reply #863 on: 7 May 2015, 02:31 am »
Hi Folks!

I just got the Bryston BHA-1 yesterday and had it hooked up for a listen - boy its good!! :thumb:

Its currently hooked up through balance inputs from the CDP but even with Low gain I can only get the volume knob to 9 O'Clock at comfort listening levels. Will changing the inputs from the CDP from Balance to Unbalance improve this? Also which sound best - Balance or Unbalance? Any votes??  :)

One more thing here is the LED turned to Red after few hours of used and the unit wasn't very hot either - similar to my 4BSST2. i didn't know what or why and switches the BHA-1 off for a min and turn back on and its Green again. I never experience the same with my 4BSST2 and in fact I never turn my Bryston 4B off at all! I read the manual and found this statement below but I am not using the MPS-2. Any clue what is the issue here?

STATUS LED
LED lights green when the BHA-1 is turned ON. When the BHA-1 with the external pow- er supply option is properly connected to an MPS-2 external power supply & the MPS-2 is turned ON but the BHA-1 is turned OFF, the LED will light red to indicate that external pow- er is available.

Hope to get some help from the experts here and if James can comment on these too.

Many thanks!  :D

rob80b

« Reply #864 on: 7 May 2015, 02:50 pm »
Hi Folks!

I just got the Bryston BHA-1 yesterday and had it hooked up for a listen - boy its good!! :thumb:

Its currently hooked up through balance inputs from the CDP but even with Low gain I can only get the volume knob to 9 O'Clock at comfort listening levels. Will changing the inputs from the CDP from Balance to Unbalance improve this? Also which sound best - Balance or Unbalance? Any votes??  :)

One more thing here is the LED turned to Red after few hours of used and the unit wasn't very hot either - similar to my 4BSST2. i didn't know what or why and switches the BHA-1 off for a min and turn back on and its Green again. I never experience the same with my 4BSST2 and in fact I never turn my Bryston 4B off at all! I read the manual and found this statement below but I am not using the MPS-2. Any clue what is the issue here?

STATUS LED
LED lights green when the BHA-1 is turned ON. When the BHA-1 with the external pow- er supply option is properly connected to an MPS-2 external power supply & the MPS-2 is turned ON but the BHA-1 is turned OFF, the LED will light red to indicate that external pow- er is available.

Hope to get some help from the experts here and if James can comment on these too.

Hi Larevoj

Does the BHA-1 have proper airflow as it is a Class A amp, if so I’d contact Bryston’s service Toll Free: 1-800-632-8217, the led should stay green…may just need a bias adjustment.
Single ended from the CDP will lower the gain but balancing the headphones will then increase it by the same amount, if you have a BCD-1 you can also lower the gain with the remote also by 3dBs with code 253.

As for a difference between using an unbalanced or balanced cable for the headphones some have reported a large improvement…it’s possible… although I’m more inclined to believe it’s the extra gain which can make a huge difference in perceived performance if levels are not matched exactly…especially with inefficient phones, which phones are you using?

Either way it's a great Head-amp. :D

Robert

larevoj

« Reply #865 on: 7 May 2015, 03:37 pm »
Hi Larevoj

Does the BHA-1 have proper airflow as it is a Class A amp, if so I’d contact Bryston’s service Toll Free: 1-800-632-8217, the led should stay green…may just need a bias adjustment.
Single ended from the CDP will lower the gain but balancing the headphones will then increase it by the same amount, if you have a BCD-1 you can also lower the gain with the remote also by 3dBs with code 253.

As for a difference between using an unbalanced or balanced cable for the headphones some have reported a large improvement…it’s possible… although I’m more inclined to believe it’s the extra gain which can make a huge difference in perceived performance if levels are not matched exactly…especially with inefficient phones, which phones are you using?

Either way it's a great Head-amp. :D

Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for the respond :)

Yes, I have sufficient air flow and its on an open rack too. I think the critical clearance is actually the bottom of the unit where the transistors are mounted and the cover on the top acts as an extended "heatsink" albeit not an ideal one. I wonder why Bryston did not flip the board  upside down so the transistors are on the top and a proper heat sink can be mounted to increase its efficiency...just thinking out load. It hasn't turn red since I switch it off and on...this makes me wonder if the BHA-1 can be kept in 'on' position like the 4BSST2.

I was referring to the balance and unbalance inputs from the source...I have placed an order for the Audeze LCD-3.  :D Is this a good match? Which is the best?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 7 May 2015, 10:14 pm by larevoj »

rob80b

« Reply #866 on: 7 May 2015, 03:51 pm »
Hi Robert, thanks for the respond :)

I was referring to the balance and unbalance inputs from the source...I have placed an order for the Audeze LCD-3.  :D Is this a good match? Which is the best?

Thanks.

Ok…In my case yes as I’m running 30’ of cable from the front of the 15’ room to the back for the BHA-1, single ended I picked up a bit of hum, balanced no noise at all.

Haven’t heard the LCD-3 but believe there are a number of satisfied users with that combo that have posted in this thread.

santacore

« Reply #867 on: 7 May 2015, 05:49 pm »
LCD-3's and BHA sound fantastic together. You should be very happy.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #868 on: 8 May 2015, 12:01 pm »
I love my LCD-2's on my BHA-1. Not quite the same, but in the ballpark!

Falldog

« Reply #869 on: 10 May 2015, 09:23 pm »
I want a Bryston Headphone Amp (BHA-?) with Remote Control Volume....Please, Please, Please.

ALL of my music sits in my BDP-2 player....(plus, a few backup drives).  My setup is across the room.  Need Remote Control Volume. 

I would like to get into headphone listening.  Over time, I can see myself with different Headphones with different cables, etc.   Front panel connection choices of BHA seems to fit the bill.

But, I want a Bryston Headphone Amp (BHA-x) with Remote Control Volume....Please, Please, Please.

James,
I am gonna buy something.  If you give me a hint that you are planning a Bryston Headphone Amp (BHA-?) with Remote Control Volume, I will wait.

...have i said "Please" enough?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #870 on: 11 May 2015, 07:09 am »
Yeah, a volume control and maybe an un-volume controlled pass through would be nice.

Falldog

« Reply #871 on: 13 May 2015, 01:08 pm »
Please

Krutsch

« Reply #872 on: 17 May 2015, 06:36 pm »
Please

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #873 on: 17 May 2015, 06:39 pm »
Please

Sorry Krutsch - no plans for another headphone amp at this point.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #874 on: 18 May 2015, 01:10 am »
Thank you for answering the question, anyway.

Ken

bjski

« Reply #875 on: 20 May 2015, 03:49 am »
I use HD800,the LCD-3 and HiFiman HE500. I mostly use the HD800 or the LCD-3. I find on well recorded music I tend to use the LCD-3. The can's have slightly deeper bass and not as bright a top end. On more poorly recorded music I use the HD 800. They tend to get every nuance but they can sound a little bright on some recordings.

I gave my son my Sennhieser HD600 and my HiFIMan HE500 collects dust.

doveman

« Reply #876 on: 23 May 2015, 12:29 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I ended up going for the lcd-2 - this is after going back and forth in my mind about 100 times. What made my mind up in the end was that quite a few reviewers had mentioned the tendency of the hd800 to be a little bright and possibly a bit fatiguing if used for some time, whereas the lcd-2 had slightly more lower end.

I'm happy with the choice, but the lcd-2 are HUGE, something you can't tell from looking at photos on the internet. The wood and leather finish is very pretty too.

larevoj

« Reply #877 on: 23 May 2015, 02:43 pm »
Hi Folks, just a little update on my little encounter with the red LED. Its gone! After my last post I decided to test it 24 hours and it has been going strong for weeks without a single glitch!  :thumb:

I am very confident that it will run 24/7 with no issues whatsoever just like their renowned SST2 amplifiers. Also the BHA-1 does benifits from HifiTuning Supreme fuse if you are keen to try...Cheers!

Hi Folks!

STATUS LED

dodgy

« Reply #878 on: 24 May 2015, 12:42 am »
I had the red LED issue on several occasions and the BHA-1 wouldnt power up. It was really random and it would work fine for weeks and then simply not work for a week or so. The retailler sent it back to the local Bryston approved agent, who faffed about on three occasions changing (I think) bias resistor values.

On the 3rd return, I was fed up and demanded a replacement unit -which they agreed to.

However, I was in Vegas (over from NZ) a few months ago and purchased a Woo Audio WA22. Wow more like. I really enjoyed the BHA-1 with my HD800s, but the WA22 is something else again. I think it is a better match for the 800s. Still keeping the BHA-1 in the meantime though.

larevoj

« Reply #879 on: 24 May 2015, 03:44 pm »
wow...thats unfortunate! I hope the new unit fix the issue for you. So far I have been driving the amp hard and not a single glitch thus far and have only seen it once. The only gripe I have is its gain and I never seems to be able to get pass 9 to 10 O'clock. I doubt there is any dip switches I can adjust and this is the same even with Bryston BP26 through speakers output. I am not sure why Bryston set its volume gain so high.

I am also considering a tube amp for a different flavour and thinking maybe Leben CS300XS...

Cheers!

I had the red LED issue on several occasions and the BHA-1 wouldnt power up. It was really random and it would work fine for weeks and then simply not work for a week or so. The retailler sent it back to the local Bryston approved agent, who faffed about on three occasions changing (I think) bias resistor values.

On the 3rd return, I was fed up and demanded a replacement unit -which they agreed to.

However, I was in Vegas (over from NZ) a few months ago and purchased a Woo Audio WA22. Wow more like. I really enjoyed the BHA-1 with my HD800s, but the WA22 is something else again. I think it is a better match for the 800s. Still keeping the BHA-1 in the meantime though.