Learning How To Build An Amplifier

taipan1013

Learning How To Build An Amplifier
« on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:38 pm »
One of the items on my bucket list is learning how to build a tube amplifier.  I am currently living and retired in the Springfield, MO area.  Over the last 3 years I have looked for someone in Springfield, MO to help me to build an amp but have had no luck.  I also tried to start an audio club in the area but had no interest.  Prior to retiring to Springfield, I lived in New Jersey and was a member of the New Jersey Audio Society and it was great.  I really miss being a part of an audio society.

It there anyone in the St. Louis area who would be willing to teach me how to build a tube amplifier?  There was a school in Chicago that had a weekend stereo tube amp building class but it now only teaches how to build guitar amps.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am familiar with St. Louis.  When I was growing up I lived in Glendale and graduated from Kirkwood High School.  I also worked for a number of years for McDonnell Douglas.  While working with McDonnell Douglas I lived in St. Charles and St. Peters.

Thanks for considering to help me.  Greg Edwards

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Learning How To Build An Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2015, 06:49 pm »
I can't help you, just wanted to drop in and say, "Welcome to GAS Greg".  :thumb:

taipan1013

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2015, 07:13 pm »
Bob thanks for your note.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2015, 09:54 pm »
What kind of amp do you have in mind?  SET, low power, high power push pull?

daves

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2015, 11:51 pm »
You could contact Sam Cogley on Audiokarma. He lives in Springfield and is always repairing or building tube gear.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2015, 12:47 am »
Start with a Bottlehead amp and you will do well...super company and great instructions/help.  I've built quite a few tube amps and pre amps and have to say the experience is well worth the effort.  Hard to explain...perhaps a bit like when you rebuild your first engine if you have ever experienced that feeling?

John

taipan1013

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2015, 02:40 am »
Thank you for replying to my note. 

Pete I am open to what amp I build.  I was looking at the OddWatt mono block as a kit.  However that might be to much to begin learning how to build amps.  I also saw the recommendation to try BottleHead amp kits.

Dave thank you for sharing Sam's name with me.  Is it OK I mention that you shared his name with me?.  I have been looking for over 3 years for someone in Springfield interested in building tube equipment.  THANK YOU.

Again I really appreciate everyone's feedback and help.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2015, 01:41 pm »
 have built many amps and other electronic devices.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Bottlehead kit for the experience, especially if you have no real experience with handling components and soldering.

You can pick out a lower cost Bottlehead Crack headphone amp for your first time experience and its a world class tube amp for high impeadance headphones like
BeyerDynamics T90's, Senn's HD series etc...250 ohms and higher.

Its a wonderful experience and would help you get to the next step if so desired.

Good Luck....

Alex

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2015, 05:38 pm »

STEREOmole

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2015, 05:47 pm »
The building is the EASY part! It's sort of like putting together a LEGO kit, assuming you can read a schematic or layout diagram.  If you're a beginner, I'd recommend a kit of some sort. 

Building from scratch (sourcing all the parts, chassis, etc and buying them from multiple sources), modifying or designing an amp, troubleshooting a non-working build when you mess up the assembly, and owning the proper tools and test gear are what's challenging.

...and there's always the danger of electrocution.

taipan1013

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2015, 07:13 pm »
STEREOmole thanks for your input.  Had many recommendation for Bottlehead kit.  Are you aware of OddWatt and if they are good kit?  Thanks for your help.  Greg

STEREOmole

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm »
Well, admittedly, I've built several tube amps (some from scratch, some with partial kits)...but they've all been guitar amps.

What are your goals with the project? To simply build an amp for the enjoyment of completing a project?  If so, the suggestion to make a headphone amp might be the easiest to start with.

Once you start building a stereo HiFi amp for the living room, the difficulty multiplies.  You need efficient speakers that the tube amp can drive, they require bigger transformers and more expensive tubes, you can easily run into problems with ground hum or noise caused by poor grounding scheme or cold solder joints.  The project can also get to be expensive!

The Dynaco style kits suggested in your other thread, might be a good place to start if you're determined to build a living room amp.  I'm with the others on suggesting you start w/ a headphone amp first though...and make sure you are prepared and know what you're doing before you attempt it (for proper safety)!  You don't want your first experience with amp building to be fatal.

daves

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:38 am »
Greg, at least a third of the folks that are attending our small balls have built tube amps...and you will see at least twenty amps here. Why not make a visit?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:04 am »
That.....is a very good idea.   :thumb:

taipan1013

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2015, 04:44 pm »
Thanks so much for the great idea.  I would love to come but I already have plans for 6 months to be somewhere else and cannot make your next event in November.  How often do you have your events and when do you think you will have your next event? Really sorry I cannot make the meeting in November.  Again, thanks for inviting me.  Look forward to seeing you at the next event.