Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

roscoeiii

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1460 on: 25 Aug 2015, 08:28 pm »
I've tried 4 different tube buffers over the years in my system (MF X10D, Yaquin, Dodds, and iTube). The iTube is the only one I felt actually added to the resolution of the system, not detracting from it.

Also, if you get one, experiment with the 3d effect. It is not the most accurate playback, but in many cases, the best sounding one, if your system allows it to shine. Makes my mono system sound like a dipole one, but without the downside.

Well put. I also like the iTube more than the other tube buffer I tried years ago in a very different system. I'll also say that  the iTube helped put a little more body on the music.  My system felt a bit too lean without it.  The +6db gain also helped in my system since the XLS seems to like a hotter signal,  and it allows me to turn down the XLS gain a bit to the range that sounds best to me: 1 o'clock.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1461 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:40 pm »
I just reconditioned a pair of Dahlquist speakers (DQ12), mostly because I got them nearly free, but also to check out a well regarded design.

I have never heard the DQ-12's, but I was a huge fan of the DQ-10's. Here is a pair of DQ-12's on Ebay for $255 plus $90 for shipping. You can also make a best offer. This makes the Crown-DQ12"s for about $500. What a deal. :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahlquist-DQ-12-SPEAKER-/231644820361?hash=item35ef1b7389

jk@home

« Reply #1462 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm »
Well put. I also like the iTube more than the other tube buffer I tried years ago in a very different system. I'll also say that  the iTube helped put a little more body on the music.  My system felt a bit too lean without it.  The +6db gain also helped in my system since the XLS seems to like a hotter signal,  and it allows me to turn down the XLS gain a bit to the range that sounds best to me: 1 o'clock.

Mine ended up between the DAC and preamp (which is already high gain). Added short silver interconnects, saved me the urge to upgrade to a tubed DAC.

a.wayne

« Reply #1463 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:11 am »
I tried the Crown with TWL cables and Wywires cables.  My experience was that does not compete with higher priced amps.  It is what it is.  A cheap amp with good bang for the buck.

Yep ...

a.wayne

« Reply #1464 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:16 am »
The Pomonas just bolt in, 10 min job... well worth it too. You can replace the "wires" going to the posts if you're feeling adventurous, that will require soldering.

Pomonas ..?  What audible change was experienced after changing ...?

Regards

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1465 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:19 am »
Pomonas ..?  What audible change was experienced after changing ...?

Regards

From what I remember after doing it, clarity was improved while being a little smoother. For $40 it was an easy install with relatively nice improvements. Not huge but noticeable.

a.wayne

« Reply #1466 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:32 am »
Tks ..... Any thoughts on  Nuetrik  over using the Pomonas ...?

jk@home

« Reply #1467 on: 1 Sep 2015, 04:18 pm »
Only negative I have had with the Pomonas is a couple of them have worked slightly loose from the securing nut in the back, causing them to start spinning. I was thinking about adding second back nuts on to the originals, not sure it that will really help. Maybe a better lock washer is needed. Afraid to torque them down too much, as not to strip or break off the copper posts.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #1468 on: 8 Sep 2015, 12:59 am »
How about a drop of Purple Loctite?

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #1469 on: 8 Sep 2015, 02:45 am »
Hey Now,

Got a good deal over the Labor Day weekend at Guitar Center, an XLS-1500 for 190 bucks. Planning to use it with a pair of bucket subs I just finished up. Looking forward to adding some oomph to my Omega Super 3s.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

jk@home

« Reply #1470 on: 8 Sep 2015, 05:18 pm »
How about a drop of Purple Loctite?

I could try that. I don't think the nuts are actually backing out, but that the post assembly is just slightly slipping because it is not tight enough (and if tightened more, could snap the copper post section). Anyway it's not really a biggie cause it appears to be making enough contact for the speakers to work :) Plus I keep the wires tied together so they won't move around. It is at least as tight as some banana connections I have used in the past, which can be real easy to twist and slip around.

Odal3

« Reply #1471 on: 8 Sep 2015, 07:36 pm »
That's a lot of power!  :thumb: Curious what the rest of the system looks like.

jk@home

« Reply #1472 on: 9 Sep 2015, 12:28 am »
Nothing fancy, just the basic HT in the Living room setup. I use an Oppo 103 (for DVD / BRs) and a Mocha DD decoder (for cable decoding) that goes into an old Sony TAP9000es analog preamp. When I added the Crowns, also added a row of Jensen ISOmax output transformers to convert from the Sony's unbalanced signals to balanced. Already owned two stereo ISOmax units, so just had to pony up for a single channel one, for the center channel. Before was using cables that were RCA on one end and XLR on the other, and was constantly battling hum. The system is dead quiet now.

Was using a stack of Mackies proamps (like the one under the Crowns) for all the speakers. Even in a closet, the fans roared. So the Crowns made a big difference in the overall noise level of the system.

The speakers are older Paradigm Studio V3s, the center channel is hidden in the TV cabinet when not in use, the side surrounds are hanging off the wall. No subwoofer as of right now, as the one that was being used blew, and I have another dedicated HT room that the system will go into later, then will install IB subs. So I run the Studio 60s full range, they seem to be putting out a touch more bass now driven by the Crowns.

We do love our fairly new (last year's model) Samsung 65" curved TV. Awesome set.

Odal3

« Reply #1473 on: 9 Sep 2015, 01:23 am »
Nice set-up. Thanks for sharing!

neep

« Reply #1474 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:56 am »
Hi guys,

Just purchased a couple of the XLS1500's for my HT rig. I'm going directly to the amps from my Oppo 103. I'm wondering where I should set the gain on the amps specific to my setup to get the best performance from them.

Thanks!

roscoeiii

« Reply #1475 on: 13 Oct 2015, 04:05 am »
Hi guys,

Just purchased a couple of the XLS1500's for my HT rig. I'm going directly to the amps from my Oppo 103. I'm wondering where I should set the gain on the amps specific to my setup to get the best performance from them.

Thanks!

Just trust your ears!  I think I recall folks preferring the XLR out on the Oppo.   But again,  try both and trust your ears. In my system, I am at 1 o'clock on the XLS gain.

neep

« Reply #1476 on: 13 Oct 2015, 04:09 am »
Just trust your ears!  I think I recall folks preferring the XLR out on the Oppo.   But again,  try both and trust your ears. In my system, I am at 1 o'clock on the XLS gain.

Haha, will do. I have the amps turned up to 100% for HT and it sounds fine. I usually have the Oppo's volume at 75% for movies. When I'm listening to music, the Oppo usually sits around 25%-50%. Not sure why I have to crank the movies up more on the Oppo.

There is definitely something missing when doing the two channel thing. I'll try turning down the gain on the amps tonight.

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks roscoe.

neep

« Reply #1477 on: 13 Oct 2015, 04:10 am »
Whoops. Didn't mean to double post.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1478 on: 13 Oct 2015, 04:13 am »
Haha, will do. I have the amps turned up to 100% for HT and it sounds fine. I usually have the Oppo's volume at 75% for movies. When I'm listening to music, the Oppo usually sits around 25%-50%. Not sure why I have to crank the movies up more on the Oppo.

There is definitely something missing when doing the two channel thing. I'll try turning down the gain on the amps tonight.

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks roscoe.

I did find that lower than 100% gain was preferable in the setups I have tried. But will depend on where the Oppo is best and on your speakers.

neep

« Reply #1479 on: 13 Oct 2015, 06:45 am »
I did find that lower than 100% gain was preferable in the setups I have tried. But will depend on where the Oppo is best and on your speakers.

Thanks again rocoe!

I just compared the XLS1500 to my Pass Aleph 30 (Class A). Very interesting test. Wish I could say the Aleph 30 smoked it but it that wasn't the case. I level matched the amps, have a treated room, and am listening to the very flat Revel M20's. I have a Chord Hugo running DAC and preamp duties. I think I might prefer the Crown :o

With the gain at 100% on the amps, I might have heard things get a little edgy. But at 2 o'clock, the Crown was more transparent and just as textured as the Aleph 30. No harshness or hardness.