In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.

brj

Re: In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.
« Reply #180 on: 12 Oct 2015, 06:24 am »
Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?....

roscoe65

« Reply #181 on: 25 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm »
Does anyone have contact information for Ruben?

I have prepaid him for a center channel speaker and following that he has disappeared from the earth.  He responded a month ago saying he had Internet/computer/phone problems and that I would receive my speaker the following week.

I've purchased with him before and while the time was longer than he had said, he generally stayed in contact.  He is not responding to any emails or PM's.  I hate to make assumptions regarding anyone's character, but at this point it looks like he's already spent my money and I won't be getting anything in return.

So much for trusting members of this community.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #182 on: 25 Oct 2015, 12:55 pm »
Roscoe (and others),

It pains me to see this happen to you.

Something like a year ago (more?) there was a similar disappearance by Ruben. He finally returned and I believe he made good on all the orders that had been made/paid for. Very soon after he reappeared, I sent him an email about his MIA status and how it must affect his business. I did not accuse him of wrong doing or such, but I offered compassion and my curiosity over what had happened to him.

He told me something had happened in his life that had taken control of his time and energy. (My wording - not his) He was remorseful that this had occurred and that he would make everything right. Now, he never did tell me what had happened and I did not pry, but I imagined some horrible possibilities (wife? son? daughter? Death/catastrophic illness).... I don't know. If 'it' has happened to him again, I hope he is able to deal with it.

I hope everything works out for everyone. 

roscoe65

« Reply #183 on: 25 Oct 2015, 01:04 pm »
In now following this thread - which has been open for the past year and a half - Ruben has been behind the entire time.  He has been promising delivery dates he can't fulfill and over the entire time has offered a number of excuses why he cannot deliver.  That is, when he actually bothers to respond.

So far, the responses fall into several categories:

1.  Awaiting parts from Danny.
2.  Personal life issues.
3.  Phone problems.
4.  Computer problems.
5.  Internet problems.
6.  Phone, computer, AND Internet problems.

The last time we spoke via email, he said he was without phone or Internet for three weeks and that my speaker would ship within the week.  He then stated that he was "switching phone/Internet providers next week" and implied I wouldn't hear back from him.

This is a person who should not be taking peoples' money if he cannot assure them that they will not ripped off.  His situation has not gotten better, in fact it has gotten worse.

Guy 13

« Reply #184 on: 25 Oct 2015, 01:20 pm »
Hi all,
that's what sometime, not all the time,
be the problem when you deal with a one man show business.
Hope Ruben re-surface, because he really does hawesome work.  :thumb:
Never did business with him,
but saw a lot of pictures here of what he can do.

Guy 13

david45

« Reply #185 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:24 pm »
Roscoe,

I feel your pain.

Hopefully everything works out for you and you get what you paid for.

It all looks like Ruben is going through a rough patch but I still have faith in him. He really seems like a good guy at heart.

In my case, I prepaid 70% so about 4300-4400$ for a pair of Super-Vs similar to Gregfisk's but in pearl white as well as a pair of Lucid White speakers in glossy green. That included parts he was going to order from Danny and I also shipped a pair of P-Audio drivers his way along with assembled crossovers. The Lucid White parts and flat pack were also shipped to him and I even bought 2 spare p-audio drivers on top of that.
It was my first time spending over 2000$ for audio equipment...

The first time they were officially supposed to ship was on January 2015, but I sent him the money way before that. 'Everything is going to be alright, everything is going to be alright' I keep repeating myself...

If ever anyone hears from Ruben, please let us know.  (Last time I did was September 26th)

David

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2015, 05:52 pm by david45 »

brj

« Reply #186 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:37 pm »
The phone number that I have for him is now disconnected (since my post on 9/16), though the voicemail never worked anyway.  The last response that I had from him was via email on 7/28.

And trust me, I've been waiting longer than anyone else on this thread.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #187 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:40 pm »
I can only say this much...do NOT send your money in until the product is ready to be shipped and there is (are) picture(s) to prove it.

I learned my lessons with av123 so I know. :-(

arthurs

« Reply #188 on: 25 Oct 2015, 08:53 pm »
I can only say this much...do NOT send your money in until the product is ready to be shipped and there is (are) picture(s) to prove it.

and many learned with Custom Concepts a few years back  :-(

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #189 on: 25 Oct 2015, 09:28 pm »
I feel very badly about this whole thing as I truly believe Ruben is a good man at heart. He obviously has an issue of some sort that keeps him from staying on track and moving in the right direction. He did finish my speakers and even did some follow up with touch up paint that I asked for to fix a mistake on my part. The work is flawless and the speakers are stunning in my opinion. It took much longer than what I was told but he did do what he said he would do and in the end made a very happy customer.

For the sake of everyone I really hope he picks himself up and finishes all of the work he has been paid for. What was said earlier about him always pulling out of it has been true, I really hope that will be the case this time.

Greg

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #190 on: 25 Oct 2015, 09:41 pm »

There is also a flip side to this. When someone orders a pair of speakers, doesn't pay anything up front then backs out after the speakers are built. This leaves the person who built them out not only their labor but the cost for parts, materials and supplies.

And you can't just sell them to somebody else. The chances of somebody else wanting that speaker in that particular finish (whatever it is) and willing to pay for it when they didn't commission it are very slim.  How many times have you seen somebody trying to sell a pair of speakers that they were stuck with waiting 6 to 12 months for a buyer then having to drop the price to less than what the parts cost them just to sell them?

You see, I've learned the hard way too but from the opposite perspective of yours.

What is needed is a method that would protect both parties. Maybe a version of how the bank my dad used to deal with handled construction loans (at that time dad was a general contractor building houses). They would approve the entire loan but would not release all the funds up front. The would release the funds in three parts with 1/3 up front then the other 2/3 at two intermediate points during construction.

With speakers it might look like this:

The buyer puts down enough to cover the cost of materials and supplies to build the cabinets.

Once the builder demonstrates the cabinets are built, the buyer sends in an additional fee to cover the cost of finishing the cabinets (this could be the cost of materials and supplies if the builder is finishing the cabinets or the cost of getting the finish done if it is outsourced).

Then once the builder demonstrates the cabinets are finished the buyer makes an additional payment to cover the cost of components (i.e. one of Danny's kits). 

Once the speakers are finished and the builder provides proof of the finish the buyer pays the remainder of the price, including shipping and packaging costs (if the speakers are being shipped) and the speakers are delivered.

Just something to think about. Remember, there are valid concerns on both sides of the transaction.

Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #191 on: 25 Oct 2015, 09:53 pm »
There is also a flip side to this. When someone orders a pair of speakers, doesn't pay anything up front then backs out after the speakers are built. This leaves the person who built them out not only their labor but the cost for parts, materials and supplies.

And you can't just sell them to somebody else. The chances of somebody else wanting that speaker in that particular finish (whatever it is) and willing to pay for it when they didn't commission it are very slim.  How many times have you seen somebody trying to sell a pair of speakers that they were stuck with waiting 6 to 12 months for a buyer then having to drop the price to less than what the parts cost them just to sell them?

You see, I've learned the hard way too but from the opposite perspective of yours.

What is needed is a method that would protect both parties. Maybe a version of how the bank my dad used to deal with handled construction loans (at that time dad was a general contractor building houses). They would approve the entire loan but would not release all the funds up front. The would release the funds in three parts with 1/3 up front then the other 2/3 at two intermediate points during construction.

With speakers it might look like this:

The buyer puts down enough to cover the cost of materials and supplies to build the cabinets.

Once the builder demonstrates the cabinets are built, the buyer sends in an additional fee to cover the cost of finishing the cabinets (this could be the cost of materials and supplies if the builder is finishing the cabinets or the cost of getting the finish done if it is outsourced).

Then once the builder demonstrates the cabinets are finished the buyer makes an additional payment to cover the cost of components (i.e. one of Danny's kits). 

Once the speakers are finished and the builder provides proof of the finish the buyer pays the remainder of the price, including shipping and packaging costs (if the speakers are being shipped) and the speakers are delivered.

Just something to think about. Remember, there are valid concerns on both sides of the transaction.

Mike

:thumb:

Guy 13

roscoe65

« Reply #192 on: 25 Oct 2015, 10:45 pm »
Not to sound too cynical, but this is sounding increasingly like a story I've heard from many contractors in the past.  People who owe money tend to dodge phone calls and emails like they are hiding from bill collectors.  It also sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul; as prepayments or deposits come in, contractors will then have the money to finish previous jobs.  Unfortunately, at some point there is not enough new money coming in to satisfy old commitments, and the house of cards comes down.  I would hate to think that someone's deposit money funded the speakers he made for me early this year.

In the interest of finding out exactly what is going on, and by extension the likelihood of all of us getting our products or money, I propose:

1.  We each post what we have ordered from Ruben, when, and if wwe have paid already.
2.  Parts status for each order.  In some cases Ruben has said he was awaiting parts from Danny, or that Danny failed to ship parts.

I'll start:  I ordered  a pair of XLS Encores with upgrades for $575 shipped on March 23, 2015.  They were supposed to be done in three weeks.  If I recall correctly, they arrived on April 28,2015.  I ordered a matching center channel on August 7, 2015 for $362.  After not hearing from him I asked for an update on September 14, 2015.  He responded 10 days later saying he was without Internet and phone for three weeks.  He said that he would ship the speaker by the first week of October and warned that he was switching phone and Internet carriers the following week in case I don't hear from him.  He said to "consider the speaker shipped".  That was the last I heard from him despite numerous requests for an update.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #193 on: 25 Oct 2015, 11:07 pm »
I remember that one too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #194 on: 25 Oct 2015, 11:25 pm »
Some of us remember member Daygloworange, who also did magnificent work... until he didn't. 
I just don't get what the problem is with cabinet guys.  Reliable ones are uncommon.

Guy 13

« Reply #195 on: 25 Oct 2015, 11:47 pm »
Hi all,
just an idea - suggestion.
Can someone find his address,
maybe someone that bought something from him
and then post the address,
maybe an AC member living near his place can drive there
and see what's going on, like face to face
and then, post his findings.
Like I wrote above:
Just an idea and suggestion.
All those post are making him not look good,
which I am sure is not the case.

Guy 13

david45

« Reply #196 on: 26 Oct 2015, 10:21 am »
I feel very badly about this whole thing as I truly believe Ruben is a good man at heart. He obviously has an issue of some sort that keeps him from staying on track and moving in the right direction. He did finish my speakers and even did some follow up with touch up paint that I asked for to fix a mistake on my part. The work is flawless and the speakers are stunning in my opinion. It took much longer than what I was told but he did do what he said he would do and in the end made a very happy customer.

For the sake of everyone I really hope he picks himself up and finishes all of the work he has been paid for. What was said earlier about him always pulling out of it has been true, I really hope that will be the case this time.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks again for cheering us up. If only you knew how jealous I am of you and your Super-Vs!!! Would you lend them to me until mine get delivered??  :green:

bdp24

« Reply #197 on: 26 Oct 2015, 10:32 am »
Am I wrong in thinking the least Ruben could and should do is post one message here to everyone he owes work to, just to let them know he is still alive and will eventually fill all their orders?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #198 on: 26 Oct 2015, 10:44 am »
Hi all,
just an idea - suggestion.
Can someone find his address,
maybe someone that bought something from him
and then post the address,
maybe an AC member living near his place can drive there
and see what's going on, like face to face
and then, post his findings.
Like I wrote above:
Just an idea and suggestion.
All those post are making him not look good,
which I am sure is not the case.

Guy 13
Post address from members are against the rules.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #199 on: 26 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm »
Some of us remember member Daygloworange, who also did magnificent work... until he didn't. 
I just don't get what the problem is with cabinet guys.  Reliable ones are uncommon.

I remember that one too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=41080

I wonder if John Prator of KCI ever got his speakers? I remember him telling me that he had spent thousands on a deposit for the CLS-9's.

The cabinet maker/AWOL list seems to be increasing: AV123, Daygloworange/Custom Concepts, Bob Smith/Aether/SP speakers... :oops:

I prefer to work with local guys in all honesty. A squeaky wheel gets oiled. FWIW.

Best,
Anand.