Why does my Chord dac only want to be powered by its walwart ps?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Pete, the 2Qute IS the Hugo in a Qute box.  It is missing the headphone out and adds better connectors and a better USB isolation, with no volume control or portability.    It is not another in the Qute HD to EX evolution.

Philistine

Now running on USB, thanks Ted appreciate the advice.

gadfly

Now running on USB, thanks Ted appreciate the advice.

Are you using an edo enabled squeezebox touch?  How is
the sound quality?  Is your system ss or tubes?

Thanks,

Gad-

Philistine

Are you using an edo enabled squeezebox touch?  How is
the sound quality?  Is your system ss or tubes?

Thanks,

Gad-

Yes, I'm using the Enhanced Digital Output app to activate USB output with the SB Touch.
Can't really comment authoratively on the sound quality as I haven't performed a serious A-B comparison yet - I'm waiting for it to burn in as per Ted's feedback findings.  When I switched to USB I did hear a difference, more detail, but discounted it until I've listened to the system after any burn in.
I have a Modwright 36.5, tube based preamp in the system, Cherry Maraschino amps driving GR Research Super V open baffle speakers.  I have a Music Reference tube amp that I'll try later and report back

I'm using the USB cable supplied by Chord, guess this needs changing also if I continue to use USB output :duh:

Big Red Machine

On my Chord I use the TotalDac USB cable. It was outstanding the minute I put it in, but alas, not cheap.

Philistine

On my Chord I use the TotalDac USB cable. It was outstanding the minute I put it in, but alas, not cheap.

I see the TotalDac USB has a filter built in, does this positive or negatively impact the performance of the Uptown Regen?

Big Red Machine

I see the TotalDac USB has a filter built in, does this positive or negatively impact the performance of the Uptown Regen?

There were a few who used the TDac cable and had good results with the regen unit. I did not.

I did receive a $42 1 amp linear ps from Hong Kong and it is working with the dac. Now whether it sounds better is still tbd.

Philistine

I'm on the fence when it comes to 'burn-in' but dumb enough to think it might be real, so left the 2Qute running for a couple of weeks without doing any serious listening.  I've noticed it's now digging up more detail than it did out of the box. Also noticed the same when going from coax to USB....

Ordered the Regen, still using the crappy USB cable it came with and the included $2 cell phone charger.  Next step is to try a decent LPS, would love to buy one from Hynes but don't want to wait a couple of years for it to be delivered. 

Nick77

I'm on the fence when it comes to 'burn-in' but dumb enough to think it might be real, so left the 2Qute running for a couple of weeks without doing any serious listening.  I've noticed it's now digging up more detail than it did out of the box. Also noticed the same when going from coax to USB....

Ordered the Regen, still using the crappy USB cable it came with and the included $2 cell phone charger.  Next step is to try a decent LPS, would love to buy one from Hynes but don't want to wait a couple of years for it to be delivered.

The LPS makes a nice improvment, I have world class deep bass with my 2qute and sigma11 diy supply. There is an outfit listed on page (ybm audio) that will build one for you, quoted me $300. Not a Hynes but has proved itself to be quite adequate.
http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
The LPS makes a nice improvment, I have world class deep bass with my 2qute and sigma11 diy supply. There is an outfit listed on page (ybm audio) that will build one for you, quoted me $300. Not a Hynes but has proved itself to be quite adequate.
http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/

Anytime Keith, glad you are finally happy!

Best,
Anand.

gadfly

Any compatibility quirks with edo enabled squeezebox touch via usb?

thanks,

gad

Philistine

Any compatibility quirks with edo enabled squeezebox touch via usb?

thanks,

gad

Works perfectly...

Philistine

The more I listen to this DAC the more I like it, very musical, digs down deep into the detail without digital harshness.
Ordered a Regen, should be on it's way this month.

Next step is to get rid of the cell phone psu, or maybe not.  Any feedback on alternate psu's anyone has would be appreciated....