30th Anniversary Special Part Deux = LRCjr

John Casler

30th Anniversary Special Part Deux = LRCjr
« on: 25 May 2007, 02:02 am »
I'll never forget one of my first conversations with Big B.

I had been a dealer for only a couple weeks, and was still learning the line. 

I have to say that any of you who have talked to Brian on the phone know that he is a "man of few words".  And I mean if a yes or no will suffice, that is likely all you'll get.

Additionally, I always felt like he had so much to do, that he couldn't wait to get off the phone.

Well he had just introduced a new speaker called the LRC.  It was nowhere on the website, and all I ever saw were the letters LRC.

Finally I received the VMPS price list and on it was the LRC.  So I did know that it was for HT use, and I made the leap that LRC stood for Left, Right, Center, and that it could be used across the front of a HT system.

So I have B on the phone, and ask him about the NEW Left Right Center????

Silence....... :scratch:

I went on to tell him it was his new speaker the Left Right Center. :scratch:

More silence....

Then He finally said do you mean the LARGE RIBBON CENTER :duh: :duh:

OK it finally sunk in, and to this day I'll never forget being the "new dealer on the block" and asking the head honcho about the Left/Right/Center, and thinking he must think me a numbskull :slap:

Anyhow, I'm sure B, has pretty much forgotten that conversation, but it leads to the second 30th Anniversary Special he has decided to offer.

Obviously it is the LRC (Large Ribbon Center everyone :oops:) But it is in the version we will call the LRC jr.

This is one special speaker in many times glossed over by the floorstanding RM series.

While it was designed to function as the Ultimate Center Channel (a title that now has been assumed by the Horizontal RM40C) it is easily used for any of the speakers of the 7, in a 7.1 HT set up.

The great thing about it, is that it is front ported, so that it can be placed rather close to the wall with no problems (or even in the recesses of those big Home Entertainment Center cabinets)

Now this is no small speaker (as one might guess since its first name is LARGE) and is about the largest speaker most of you might want to pick up without a partner and or a hernia belt. :lol:

It will play loud, and deep, and easily goes down to 35hz with nice clean bass.

I had one of the first ones made sitting on my RPTV way back when, and used to love to play the DTS sampler DVD to show people how VMPS speakers perform.

There was a scene from the Haunting where one of the charachters was being chased through this haunted house, and my God, those dual WCFwoofers looked like they were going to jump out of the speaker cabinet.

But as I said, Part Deux is the LRC jr, which maybe I'll rename the LRCSS (= Left Right Center Side Surround) since it can be used in each of those functions.

Here is what we have:

Brian is offering an LRCjr effective immediately at $549ea retail in piano black, lite and dark oak, and cherry. 

Megawoofers add $200 and FST $200ea are upgrades. 

SR71 is included :o  in the $549ea price. These are Bud Bailey cabinets. 

This is a "STEAL" since we do have the same thing in MLS cabinets in maple, rosewood, and ebony as well at the regular MLS price of $1150 ea including the Megawoofers, add $200 for the FST and $88 for SR71.

So the tricked out MLS LRC = $1438

So the LRC jr is a smokin' good deal :smoke:

« Last Edit: 25 May 2007, 04:27 am by John Casler »

Early B.

Re: 30th Anniversary Special Part Deux = LRCjr
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 02:38 am »
Great!!  This looks like a no brainer, especially for surrounds.

Got a few questions --

1. What is the difference between the stock woofer and the megawoofers? What about the stock tweeter and FST? Just trying to determine if the extra $200 is worth it.

2. Do you have samples of the available colors? The word, "cherry" has different color conotations.

3. Can these speakers be used for left/right/center?

4. Are the crossover components identical to the $1,150 MLS LRC? Same specs, too?

5. Will this LRC blend well with virtually all of the past and current VMPS floor standers?

6. Are the speakers immediately available for shipment? If not, when will they be available?

Thanks, John.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2007, 03:27 am »
1. The LRC Jr is stock equipped with dual polycone/rubber surround 6.5" woofers with 1.5" 4 layer voicecoils, dustcaps,  and 20oz magnets.  The Megawoofer $200 upgrade is dual WCF 6.5" with 1.5" VC and 4 layer voicecoils with the 40oz magnet and metal phase plug.  That's a nice upgrade.

2. The LRC Jr is stock with the spiral ribbon tweeter.  The FST is a $200 upgrade.

3.  Pix of the lite oak, dark oak, cherry and piano black cabinets will post here in a few days.  Most of these finishes are already shown on the VMPS website.  The cherry is the dark "flambe" finish.  All these are Bud Bailey cabinets, made in USA and are in stock for immediate delivery. There are no CDWG's offered or available.

4. LRC means Large Ribbon Center and Left/Center/Right.The system works well in both applications.  Bass response with the Megawoofers is the same as the RM30C.  SR71/BH5 cabinet damping is standard on the LRC Jr.

5. There is a single ribbon midrange panel. Stock xovers are the Erse Pulse polypropylenes, same as on the regular LRC.  Auricap upgrade is not offered on the Jr.

6. Shipping is $50ea or less in 48 states.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2007, 04:12 am »
Great!!  This looks like a no brainer, especially for surrounds.

Got a few questions --

1. What is the difference between the stock woofer and the megawoofers? What about the stock tweeter and FST? Just trying to determine if the extra $200 is worth it.

2. Do you have samples of the available colors? The word, "cherry" has different color conotations.

3. Can these speakers be used for left/right/center?

4. Are the crossover components identical to the $1,150 MLS LRC? Same specs, too?

5. Will this LRC blend well with virtually all of the past and current VMPS floor standers?

6. Are the speakers immediately available for shipment? If not, when will they be available?

Thanks, John.

This is the Cherry (Cherry Flambe) 626R that I had

And as far as Left Center Right applications, of course they work fantastically.

I cannot say if they work well "vertically" or not, since I haven't trien them.

But in Horizontal use they are incredible.

They are especially good in rooms with "low ceilings", since the don't create a lot of ceiling a floor bounce in the midrange and highs :green:

As far as "blending", they will blend best with all the planar and ribbon speakers, for Center channel duties.

For surrounds (depending on how on/off axis you place them) they can be made to work well too.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2007, 04:23 am by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2007, 12:01 am »
To summarize the LRC jr in a bullet point nutshell:

NEW LRC Jr (Spiral Tweeter) --- $549.00 each $1098 pr (Limited Offer)
* Spiral Ribbon Tweeter
* Standard Neopanel Midrange Driver
* 6.5" poly/mica woofer 20oz magnet 4 layer VC
* Piano Black, Light Oak, Dark Oak, Cherry = Bud Baily Cabinet (limited to stock on hand)
* SR71 Cabinet Damping
* Tweeter can be rotated for Vertical Orientation
* Fully equalized polyprop x-over
* Power Handling 200W
* 4 Ohms, 90 dB/1W/1m
* Front Ported for easy placement
* 10.5H x 32W x 13D

I have confirmed with Brian that the tweater masking can be rotated to accomadate vertical orientation.

This is a very special offer in that the 626 jr pair was only about $125 less :o for the pair :wink:
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2007, 02:37 am by John Casler »

Brian Cheney

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2007, 01:06 am »
Also, you can upgrade to the 40oz WCF Megawoofers for $200 per side, and the FST is $200 per side if desired.  Shipping is $50 or less per speaker in 48 states.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2007, 07:04 pm »
I have two more questions --

1. What is the bass response with the stock woofers?

2. Can you confirm the dimensions of the cabinet? On this thread it is 10.5H x 32W x 13D, but on the website the LRC is 7H x 32.5W x 19D.

Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2007, 07:42 pm »

2. Can you confirm the dimensions of the cabinet? On this thread it is 10.5H x 32W x 13D, but on the website the LRC is 7H x 32.5W x 19D.

Thanks.

The measurments listed on the website are incorrect.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2007, 07:45 pm »
The stock woofer F3 is 42Hz  vs 37Hz with the Megawoofers.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2007, 03:56 am »
Thanks for the quick responses! Gonna get myself one of those LRCjrs. Once it arrives, I'll post my thoughts, and maybe some pics if I can ever figure out how to post them here.