Odyssey amps with electrostatics

erniek

Odyssey amps with electrostatics
« on: 23 Mar 2015, 06:24 pm »
Anyone using their amps/preamp combos with Maggies, Martin Logans etc. I would like to get some input on how they match up with these types of speakers.

JackD

Re: Odyssey amps with electrostatics
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2015, 09:36 pm »
I though Klaus had both Apogee's and Magnepans in his showroom.

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2015, 11:13 pm »
I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Odyssey ampa and ESLs.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2015, 12:29 am »
Are they rated to under 2 ohms ?

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:20 am »
My Kismets drive the GTA2 planar magnetics just fine, negotiating the low impedances without a care.
Kemper

targa02

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2015, 03:28 am »
My Kismet monos drive my Martin Logan Summit Xs quite beautifully.  The sound better IMHO than my nCores.   

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2015, 04:30 pm »
My tweaked (by Klaus) Stratos Plus does great with my Acoustat model 3's! :thumb:

OSIB16

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:49 pm »
My Frankenstratos combined with Martin Logan CLS 2z works like magic

BobC

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2015, 09:01 pm »
My Stratos Mono Extremes drive my ML Ascent i's with ease.

PhotonDon

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm »
Maggies aren't electrostatic (they are planar magnetic), but my Stereo Stratos Plus handles my 1.6QR with grace and plenty of headroom. Really could not ask for more.  Oh, and it runs plenty cool.

Pneumonic

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:07 am »
Which stats and how loud do you plan to play them?

Many stats are amp killers if you push them loud and ask the amp to output more voltage than it can deliver. I would ensure the amp is fine driving reactive impedance's that can dip <2Ω.

questz1z

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2015, 07:27 pm »
My Mono Extremes have no problems driving my ML Quest Zs. Along with the Candela preamp the system sounds incredible with any source!

BobC

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2015, 06:36 pm »
When I push my Logans, I don't feel the amps are the weak point.  Rather the electrostatics (in my experience) can ring a bit bright when pushed hard.  So my speakers "fail" before my amps do (clipping).  And before this, it hurts my ears  :nono:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my impression.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2015, 07:25 pm »

Austin08

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2015, 09:31 pm »
When I push my Logans, I don't feel the amps are the weak point.  Rather the electrostatics (in my experience) can ring a bit bright when pushed hard.  So my speakers "fail" before my amps do (clipping).  And before this, it hurts my ears  :nono:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my impression.

One could say that the amps was up to its limit already.

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2015, 09:39 pm »
One could say that the amps was up to its limit already.

I'm reasonably certain if BobC used Pass Labs or Threshold amps (with LOTS of current available), the ML's would very likely sound better.

steve f

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2015, 10:54 pm »
Let's not confuse the differences between the needs of electrostatic loudspeakers and those of planar magnetic speakers.

Electrostatic speakers are voltage driven. They require amps capable of swinging large amounts of voltage. As frequency rises the amount of voltage needed declines a bit. Amps that have problems with ESL speakers have trouble with the load of the speaker. ESLs are basically capacitors. This is also why ESL speakers need different speaker cables than other speaker types. Current is not an issue.

Planar magnetic speakers are current driven. They are resistors. Many are easy loads for amplifiers. Of course some have been designed with one ohm loads, and then become problematic.

Steve

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2015, 09:53 am »
I'm reasonably certain that there are some geniuses among us........of course one could say that they are very well informed to their limits........
and then there are guys that truly know what they are talking about like Steve....

jMelvin

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2015, 01:21 am »
Cyclops with MMGs are a match made in heaven. Klaus told me as much (he did not lie).

erniek

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2015, 05:50 pm »
I've always thought about having some Maggies and was quite interested in the 1.7's until I recently heard them in a local dealer showroom. They seemed compressed to me. Then I went into another room where they had the new .6 Maggies and even though they did not sound as big as the 1.7's they were very open and clear in this room. Recently at Axpona I listened for some time to the Emerald Physics speakers and they have changed my mind about really wanting Maggies. So I would ask if anyone on the board has heard or had any Emerald Physics or Spatial open baffle speakers they are using with Odyssey electronics?
How do you feel they compare with Maggies or Martin Logans if you have had the experience of hearing them both?