Integrated amp with ....

2bigears

Integrated amp with ....
« on: 24 Oct 2016, 11:09 pm »
 :D   A good phono  ??  Is there a decent ONE BOX unit mid priced/used with decent sound and very good phono.  MC/MM ....Is there really such a thing.  I have such large gear and i want to down size.  Turn 4 boxes into one.  If a phono doesn't come with ,, can get a separate i guess ....Any recommends ,, thanks ,, My speakers are kinda really power hungry,, so need a little juice there.   :D

KR500

Re: Integrated amp with ....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:19 am »
I really like my Bellari phono preamp , not the greatest in low or high end reproduction but the midrange is really where it shines

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:03 am »
Pushing C&C guidelines slightly, the Music Hall A15.3 at $549 meets all of your requirements.  Rogue Audio has one that I can't recommend here because it's above guidelines even used, but it's just above guidelines so is still economical.   :wink:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:29 am »
..... the Music Hall A15.3 at $549 meets all of your requirements.

Except for the MC/MM phono requirement.

I've never heard one, any comparisons to equivalently priced Cambridge Audio, Marantz or NAD integrateds?  I have a non-audiophile friend who is looking to step up from an Insignia receiver and will never have a MC cartridge.

Steve

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2016, 10:58 am »
Except for the MC/MM phono requirement.

I've never heard one, any comparisons to equivalently priced Cambridge Audio, Marantz or NAD integrateds?  I have a non-audiophile friend who is looking to step up from an Insignia receiver and will never have a MC cartridge.

Steve

Yes, the Music Hall only has a MM phono, but you can't get everything at these prices.  The similarly priced competition are using 25 to 30 watt amps while the Music Hall has 50 watts into 8 ohms.  Not a big difference, but the op said power hungry speakers so I'm guessing every watt counts.  None of these integrateds are going to be the last word in SQ or resolution, however should offer a musically satisfying presentation.  The op may need to jump out of C&C to get everything he's looking for.

The iFi unit has gotten great reviews, but is a bit over guidelines.  Perhaps a used one could be found.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:07 am »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:54 pm »
How about this Emotiva unit? $399.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/pres-and-pros/ta-100
That looks like the winner.  Has all the features, cheap price.  Sound quality???

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:40 pm »

Winner, winner, chicken dinner :thumb:

That ones a no brainer. Even comes with a remote and on-board DAC. I may have to get one just to play with it.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:43 pm »

"STEREO PREAMP/DAC/TUNER WITH INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER"

Hmmmm.... wouldn't it be easier just to say "receiver"? :scratch: 

Blackmore

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:44 pm »
Hey Scott, don't forget about my little Yamaha A-S301.  60 watts, remote, on board DAC, Bluetooth adaptor available, MM phono only and TONE CONTROLS WITH A LOUDNESS KNOB.   You know you want one of these. :lol:   $349.00

Sorry for the OT comments. 

markie

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2016, 04:31 pm »
 :D.  Well I guess I didn't state clearly. Sorry all.  I'm after a good quality intigrated with good power and if it doesen't have a phono,  so be it.  I can add on.   Is NAD a good way to go ?  I need clean power.  Budget is maybe a couple grand used ?  :D

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:47 pm »
Well now, this is a different sorta cat, and not necessarily C&C. There should be lots of options in that price range. 
BTW, I can give a negative review of the Rogue Sphinx.  You mentioned that you needed a bit of power reserve, and regardless of the Sphinx ratings, it doesn't have it.  On a pair of GR-Research Neo2x speakers ~87dB, it lost dynamics at moderate-highish volumes, dynamics died out.  Nice sound at lower volumes and a good phono section.  My buddy replaced it with a pair of 15 wpc 6bq5 amps that played his Focals better. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:05 pm »
Budget is maybe a couple grand used ?  :D

That's very cheerful but well beyond cheap. I would have mentioned the Sphinx, but the previous post raises an interesting flag. Perhaps, depending on your choice of speakers, it may work?

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:30 pm »
A quick look at the AC for sale section shows an Onix offered by Slushpuppy.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146087.0
Some of that Chinese stuff sound pretty dang good for the buck.

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2016, 09:25 pm »
Hey Scott, don't forget about my little Yamaha A-S301.  60 watts, remote, on board DAC, Bluetooth adaptor available, MM phono only and TONE CONTROLS WITH A LOUDNESS KNOB.   You know you want one of these. :lol:   $349.00

Sorry for the OT comments. 

markie

Oou! Another chicken dinner :thumb:

Doublej

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2016, 09:59 pm »
 :D.   That Coda looks of interest ,, anyone speak of this as I know LESS THAN ZERO on this brand.
              US made ,,   Lots of power ,,,, no phono ,, I will have to buy that separate ,, another dam thing
                   Thanks for the help all,    I do appreciate it.   Can't believe the VAC don't sell ,  what a great preamp  ,, good lord ,,  :D.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2016, 10:37 pm »
:D.  Well I guess I didn't state clearly. Sorry all.  I'm after a good quality intigrated with good power and if it doesen't have a phono,  so be it.  I can add on.   Is NAD a good way to go ?  I need clean power.  Budget is maybe a couple grand used ?  :D

So maybe we should just move the whole discussion over to Solid State so you can discuss your needs without the price restrictions we have here, okay?

srb

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:00 am »
The Parasound Halo Integrated has a MM/MC phono stage and an ESS ES9018K2M DSD256 DAC if you can get by with 160W/ch @ 8ohm and 240W/ch @ 4 ohm.

http://www.parasound.com/hint.php

If you can snag one used you could come in under $2K.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-parasound-halo-integrated-2016-10-15-integrateds-49316-dutton-mi--2

Steve