Into the gear for 34 years and the music for longer

Ponkbutler

• Naim 555,552,500, Shahinian Diapasons
Into the gear for 34 years and the music for longer
« on: 29 Aug 2016, 02:41 pm »
I have a chest infection and sore throat, which seem to have conspired to dissolve my brain, so I'll keep this short.

My mother was a pianist and teacher, so I grew up with the piano and music at home at all hours, went regularly to the Robert Mayer children's concerts in London and others. I got into hi-fi through a friend who was the son of a fellow musician of my mother's. I was blown away by his Cambridge P50 and Key Chorale. This all eventually took me, via a few hi-fi shows, to Studio 99, where I gradually assembled my first system, a Quad 33/303 fed by a Sony cassette deck and initially Sennheiser headphones and final Kef Concertos. A Rega Plana 3 followed a few years later and then the inevitable Linn Sondek + Ittok. I went the whole Linn hog later with LK1/LK2 and Saras. I still have a soft spot for the Saras, but he amps were a disappointment, although they let me drive the Saras for less money and fewer boxes than Naim. I shift off to Naim gear later. Initially a 200 system fed by CDX into Arrivas and the a 5000 system into Sl2s and now Shahinian Diapasons.

I listen to a very eclectic mix of music - everything from baroque through to "world music", psy-trance, classical, romantic, reggae, hard rock, heavy metal, punk, "hippy music" - you name it!

I am also addicted to Old English Sheepdogs. Ponk was one of them and I was his butler, hence the name.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Into the gear for 34 years and the music for longer
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2016, 02:59 pm »
Welcome Ponk :thumb:
How the Diapasons sound?
Its in the market since the 90s or 80s,
too bad its low sensitivity, it would interesting in prog rock or ambient music.
Hope get better soon.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2016, 03:39 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Ponkbutler

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:21 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, Phil.

FRM: the Diapasons are the only speakers I have found that can recreate symphony orchestra/full choir etc. scale without standing over and shouting at you, while also delivering tonal accuracy, detail, impact, depth and speed. They've been around for a while, but with steady improvements to the cabinet design and materials (now Finnish birch ply) and to the drive units (now SEAS).
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2016, 05:35 pm by Ponkbutler »

brooklyn

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2016, 05:16 pm »

TrungT

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:17 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:37 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Ponkbutler   :thumb:  Yep, we're all butlers, chefs, chauffeurs to our dogs when they're with us.  8)

RipTorn

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2016, 06:50 pm »
Welcome Ponkbutler ,...!

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:21 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Ponkbutler.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2016, 03:55 am »
Thanks for the welcome, Phil.

FRM: the Diapasons are the only speakers I have found that can recreate symphony orchestra/full choir etc. scale without standing over and shouting at you, while also delivering tonal accuracy, detail, impact, depth and speed. They've been around for a while, but with steady improvements to the cabinet design and materials (now Finnish birch ply) and to the drive units (now SEAS).
Thanks for inform.
No that I can afford it but you would say about its price currently?

Ponkbutler

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:36 am »
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I think the current price of the Diapasons is around GBP 24k, though that could have changed with sterling plummeting. For considerably less the Hawk's and Obelisks nevertheless get pretty close. Both are certainly worth an audition, depending on your budget.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:44 am »
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I think the current price of the Diapasons is around GBP 24k, though that could have changed with sterling plummeting. For considerably less the Hawk's and Obelisks nevertheless get pretty close. Both are certainly worth an audition, depending on your budget.
Ouch 24K pounds!
It even more than I would suspect.
Thanks a lot.

pmarun

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:48 am »
Welcome Ponkbutler.

I have heard the Diapsons at the Shanghai Hi Fi show for a couple of years now. It was mostly playing Classical music and I remember I was quite impressed. It was amazing what the stand mounts could do. I think I have a picture in my hard drive. I will post it later if I can find it.

Welcome again and enjoy the group.

Rgds
Arun