HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server

HAL

Re: HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server
« Reply #80 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:26 pm »
BRM,
The MS-2 will run LMS if that is what you use.  I installed it for my Touch on my MS-1.   I can install it and check it with the MS-2 if you are interested.

The Foobar2000 player sounds very good to me as a direct player via USB from the MS-2.  Some users are using JRiver MC and I install the demo version if someone wants to try it.  The beauty of this is that you can try them all to see what works the best for you. 

There are two high power USB2 ports on the back to use larger hard drives.

Foobar2000 does have a plug-in to allow Apple products to be used as remote controls.  I believe that it works with iTunes add-ons.  I have no way to test this, but the components are available.   The other option is using Safari on the iPad2 to directly browse to the Foobar2000 web remote interface.

The user needs an HDMI or SVGA monitor, USB keyboard and USB mouse or wireless keyboard/mouse combo is needed to start and setup the machine.

From the DAC website, it looks like a USB driver maybe needed for the unit.  That would need to be installed to use the DAC.

Phil A

« Reply #81 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:59 pm »
I use JRemote with the Ipad Mini for my MS-2 and it works really nice.

I have not tried LMS as I'm trying to keep the MS-2 for the main system.  I have LMS on my PC and if and when my Teac DAC ever gets here for the secondary basement system, I'll see how the Foobar plug in works and then decide down the road if I want to try it on the MS-2.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:16 pm »
So the rear layout is similar to the MS1 unit except for the VGA/HDMI versus DVI output?

So for us non-computer nerds, the ability to try different operating softwares like LMS or Foobar and compare the sound is a great option.  I just don't know WHY a software program can make the basic FLAC file sound better or worse.  A discussion for another circle.

Are you backed up with RMAF preparations?

HAL

« Reply #83 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:26 pm »
BRM,
The back panel is similar, the original DVI connector is now a SVGA.  Lower power graphics processor than the MS-1, so not for HD video use.

I have one demo MS-2 unit coming back from *Scotty*.  Probably will take that one to RMAF.  Have one new MS-2 in a box configured if someone is interested.  You are the first to ask about a possible new unit, so I could ship you that one.  If you are going to RMAF, I can probably send you home with the demo unit. 

Rich     

HAL

« Reply #84 on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:12 pm »
Just for reference, the motherboard that is being used in the MS-2 is now in limited supply.  I have one last unit ordered after the one that BRM is look at coming.  After that will be looking at new systems as the possible MS-2 replacement, unless the supply changes. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:16 pm »
I'll speak with you at RMAF.

HAL

« Reply #86 on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:20 pm »
Sounds good.  See you at RMAF.

stu

« Reply #87 on: 17 Sep 2013, 01:36 am »
I have been using the MS-1 that I got from Rich about 2 years ago.  I have been using foobar since I got it, and have been pleased with the sound. A few weeks ago I got curious and decided to download the JRiver trial. After I downloaded and set the playback settings according to recommendations, I spent some time playing with it and listening. From the first notes, I knew something was not right. The sound did not come close to the sound quality of foobar. I tried several files, and they were all the same. I attempted to improve things by trying different settings for playback, but nothing helped. I thought the interface was nice once I got the hang of using it, but I just did not like the sound of it compared to foobar. A lot of people like JRiver, but my system did not seem to like it. Who knows?

Mark

HAL

« Reply #88 on: 25 Sep 2013, 02:59 am »
Mark,
Thanks for the feedback on JRiver on your MS-1.  Glad you are still enjoying it!

Big Red Machine has his MS-2.  Looking forward to his comments once he has time to listen in his setup. 

stu

« Reply #89 on: 26 Sep 2013, 01:41 am »
Sure Rich, no problem. I was really surprised by the sound of Jriver. It really sounded pretty bad, and I set the output to the settings  that are suppose to be the best. Needless to say, I did not buy it after the trial.  I see you are going to RMAF. Wish I could go. Is Chris going too? If so,tell him I said hello. I have not talked to him in a while. I saw the speakers Danny is taking and would really like to hear those. You will have to let me know what you think.
You guys have fun, but not too much!
Mark

HAL

« Reply #90 on: 26 Sep 2013, 02:18 am »
Mark,
Meeting Chris at RMAF and going to listen to Danny's new open baffle line sources.  Will pass on the hello to Chris.

Will post impressions on them.  I love the LS-9's, so this should be interesting as a comparison.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #91 on: 1 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm »
Way overdue on commenting on Rich's MS2 Unit.  Rich is a trooper.  He's knowledgeable and was patient with helping me work through some start up issues I was having.  None of which were an issue with his unit but just my ineptitude with server software programs.

Just because you are buying a computer made by a guy in Maryland, doesn't mean it comes in a paperbag to your door.  This thing was professionally packaged up with accessories and remnants of the loaded devices so you had reference materials and confidence that what you ordered was actually installed.  It was also double boxed and shipped with tracking.

The unit is a step up in appearance from the first version.  This thing is very sexy in its sleek black case and tidy form factor.  USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, HDMI, etc. are all there.  I have not ripped a CD yet but am about to through the front load BluRay slot using preloaded EAC.  Slick.

The Windows 8 machine is set up with a HAL page all ready for your server software.  Mine came loaded with Foobar and the plugin.  I ended up at JRiver (more sophisticated user interface and controls to handle my dac chipset).

I'm not using the wireless as I have it wired into the Asus router in the next room.  I purchased a Oyen 1 TB eSata to handle the music and feed the 60 gb SSD drive in the MS2.  This thing runs quiet and cool and is easily controlled by software for on and off if need be and has more potential than I may ever use.

I don't really believe in fate because I like to control my own destiny (Don't be a victim is my motto).  I had been looking very hard at NAS devices, SS drives, software, etc. thinking I was going to save a buck and build my own server for my audio setup.  Yeah right.  This was so much easier and in the end I did not have to become more educated about computers than I needed to be.

I highly recommend you consider an MS2 which for me has been a very nice addition to my setup.  And you can count on Rich to help you get up and running.  Now I'm going to polish off a few items in the next week and finally enjoy browsing my music files.

Phil A

« Reply #92 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:13 pm »
I highly recommend the MS-2 as well.  I have both Foobar and JRiver on my main PC too but having a dedicated music server eliminates many issues.  To me it is a true bargain.  I had a Squeezebox Touch and an upgraded power supply and when you look at that and the cost differential to something like the MS-2 with its capabilities, it is a no brainer.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:27 pm »
I had been looking very hard at NAS devices, SS drives, software, etc. thinking I was going to save a buck and build my own server for my audio setup. 
Glad you like your MS-2! 

Just to be clear though on a NAS.  You can still use NAS with the MS-2.  You would replace the external drive that you're using now and use the NAS if/when you had a bunch of files.  I have ~7TB of music files and then I still use the NAS for photo's and cloud storage.  I got tired of daisy chaining external drives together.  Now, I have a silent music server and the NAS is in a different part of the house and it's all hard wired together. My only regret is not doing the NAS sooner.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #94 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:08 pm »
Yes.  I like the Oyen drive I bought that I might get a bigger one and through the sharing capabilities on the network use the Squeezebox in the future in the living room to play tunes (once I get some gear hooked up there).

HAL

« Reply #95 on: 1 Oct 2013, 08:10 pm »
BRM,
Glad the MS-2 is working well with the DAC!

Phil A,
Sorry I missed the MAAC gathering last weekend.  Was looking forward to hearing the new DSD DAC.

The MS-2 demo unit will be going to RMAF just incase someone is interested in taking a look at the chassis.   

rodge827

« Reply #96 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:10 pm »
Just for reference, the motherboard that is being used in the MS-2 is now in limited supply.  I have one last unit ordered after the one that BRM is look at coming.  After that will be looking at new systems as the possible MS-2 replacement, unless the supply changes.

HAL,

Any luck finding a replacement system?

Chris

HAL

« Reply #97 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:23 pm »
Chris,
I am still looking.  Have a candidate on order, but will take time to verify everything once it arrives.  Probably a few months.

In the mean time, I have one new MS-2 chassis that just arrived.  That is available along with the MS-2 demo unit for anyone interested.

rodge827

« Reply #98 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:33 pm »
HAL,

Thanks for the response.
I can't do one now, so will have to wait till the new set up is ready.

Chris

Forest Dweller

« Reply #99 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:42 am »
Mark,
Meeting Chris at RMAF and going to listen to Danny's new open baffle line sources.  Will pass on the hello to Chris.

Will post impressions on them.  I love the LS-9's, so this should be interesting as a comparison.

Sheesh, Mark. I can't believe we haven't been in touch for this long. My day gig is... Are you familiar with the term, "water-boarding"? It would actually a relief from I.T. management of the size company I'm trying to electro-shock into reality! ha.

I have TWO MS-1's now. One for my main system, and one for my Master Bedroom system.

I'll be there. Wish you could be. You really can't just "borrow" a BizJet for the weekend? How 'bout a Falcon 10 we can have some fun in? I need to call your employer!  :lol:
The owner of my company keeps trying to get me interested in a helo he's contemplating buying. I told him, "Twin Engine Turbine, or forget it!" I need to get back into a Sikorsky S-76. 150' and 180 MPH. Yeah Baby!

Here's a shot of my main system and room now:

Now if I could just spend more time there...

Safe Skies, my Friend,

See ya Thursday, Rich. I'll be comatose; so better have the Grey Goose waiting  :D

Chris