Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: Off-Ramp 6 (DSD capable) in beta testing
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2016, 07:42 pm »
Hmm, I read this Steve's post a little more pessimistically: I thought he was scrapping the OR6 and going another direction.

Todd

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2016, 07:20 pm »
Hmm, I read this Steve's post a little more pessimistically: I thought he was scrapping the OR6 and going another direction.

Todd

I may get back to it, because it is soooo good, but for now I need to get the Ethernet interface (Interchange) into production.  It works 100%.

I am more motivated to do the Ethernet because I am hopeful that the computer, computer power supply, background software and playback software will have less of an effect on SQ.  So far, it seems to be better than USB in these respects, but I have not tried many different playback systems.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2016, 07:27 pm »
Sorry to hear about the problems. 

I am not sure I understand the plan.  Would you use ethernet between the computer and the OR6 and then let the customer choose between I2S, USB or S/PDIF from the OR6 to the DAC?  Would that then allow 176 and 192? 

The Ethernet cable from the Interchange plugs into your router, not the computer.  Your computer will connect to the LAN with wired Ethernet to the same router or by WiFi.  Any smart device with the right software on the LAN can spool music to the Interchange.  It allows 176 and 192 as well as DSD from the I2S outputs.

There are probably hubs that communicate with the LAN using WiFi and then can output wired Ethernet.  This could be used to drive the Interchange as well, so everything is WiFi. Not sure yet if the B/W of WiFi is sufficient to support double DSD or 192 though. Need to identify one of these hubs that works well.

Steve N.

TLowe

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2016, 03:59 pm »
In anticipation of trying this I purchased a Motu AVB switch and several lengths of CAT6 cable. The switch allows for five optimized LAN connections and one separate I/O LAN (i.e., WAN, connection to router, other switch, etc.). I tested it with my current setup using Plex media server on the Mac Mini and found no dropouts when streaming video (had some occasionally even when using a Netgear gigabit Prosafe switch) -- so HD audio should be fine. While this is the most expensive five port switch I have ever purchased, the setup was recommended to me by a studio recording engineer. Check out the specs. You will be impressed.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2016, 04:39 pm »
In anticipation of trying this I purchased a Motu AVB switch...

Interesting, I'll be interested in your experience with this setup as it evolves.

Similarly, in anticipation of a network based solution, I foolishly sold my OR5-HDMI and installed a D-Link DHP-701AV Power Line Ethernet connection. I was able to get about 170 Mbps over the power line into my basement listening room but hard telling how much noise I have introduced to the rest of my system. I'm running Roon off a MacBook Pro in my listening room with a Revelation Audio dual-USB cable into a W4S DAC2 DSDse. The MBP is connected to the ethernet (for internet and remote commands) with WiFi disabled.  Eventually I anticipate moving the MBP upstairs by my router and having an Ethernet renderer feeding my DAC.

Anyway, I really like the Roon interface but my sound quality had taken 5 giant leaps backwards.  :duh:

Oh, and one of the reasons I sold the OR5 was to do DSD, but DSD (DoP) over USB into my DAC sounds like someone threw the proverbial wet blanket over my speakers. Double  :duh: :duh:

So I guess I will wait to see how this technology evolves but for now I'm going to be listening to vinyl...

Todd

ctsooner

« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2016, 12:26 am »
Wow.  I feel like I'm clueless with some of the stuff you guys are talking about.  I'm holding off on new digital until things start to shake out a bit.  I now have a ground hum in my Rhea phone pre and it's driving me nuts as I love vinyl still.  Crazy stuff.  fun to follow you though Steve.