Request for Advice on Wire to Use form Crossover to Driver

atkinsonrr

• Long time audiophile and tweaker
Another topic so thought I would start another thread.  The last post from 10 days ago reminded me I would like to get a recommendation on wire to use inside the cabinet.  My objective is a smooth, rich sound, not overly detailed and without emphasis in the upper midrange. 

The Spendor S100s are a 3-way ported design with a 0.75" soft dome tweeter crossing @ 4Khz to a 6" polypropolene mid which crosses over to a 13" doped bextrene woofer at 600Hz. The bass and mid drivers are of Spendor construction and the tweeter is a modified-by-Spendor ScanSpeak. 

The speakers are tri-wireable.  For speaker cable, I plan on bi-wiring with Duelund oiled cotton over tinned copper DCA @ 16AWG going to mid and tweeter posts and the same Duelund wire @ 12AWG going to the woofer posts.

Driven by all tubes: Mac MC275; Mac C2200 Pre-amp; Line Magnetic tube DAC.  The crossovers are as described in the last post in my previous thread. 

Thanks for any advice!  -- Rob

borism

Re: Request for Advice on Wire to Use form Crossover to Driver
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2018, 09:55 pm »
Why not use the same wire inside?

atkinsonrr

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2018, 12:44 am »
Hey Borism-- 

Yep, I hear ya!  My initial thought was to use the same Dueland wire I will be using for speaker cable.  I thought it just made sense.  But then I saw Jeff's recommendation to the guy who asked the same question about 10 days ago on this forum.  I believe Jeff recommended he use solid core 16GA, either Neotech or Jupiter, with a cotton dialectric.  It got me intrigued, and I value Jeff's thoughts, so I wanted to see what Jeff might recommend in my situation with my system.

--Rob

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2018, 12:54 am »
I got from Jeff the Neotech UPOCC Teflon awg 14 and its excelent.
Dont used the Jupiter though, the Jupiter was unavaliable in 14ga
but seems offer great performance in the oldfashioned cotton/silk
jacket, perfect to wiring tube amps in the old school.

atkinsonrr

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2018, 03:00 am »
Yeah I'm liking the sound of the cotton covered Duelund.  So am thinking that may be the direction to go in.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2018, 03:25 am »
Its varnish coated?
I choose the Neo why I was afraid the Jupiter was bare copper,
so for avoid electric short and corrosion I take the Neo which is
Teflon coated, but Jeff can inform you in this.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2018, 05:58 pm »
If you're committed to the Dueland speaker wire from amp to speaker cabinet, I would rewire with it internally also.  I use the Omega Mikro/Mapleshade speaker wire, and used it internally also on my last project speakers.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2018, 05:40 am »
The emperor has no clothes on  :lol:  I do not like the Duelund stranded Tin...  Besides being the flavor of the week, I do think it is along the lines of what you say you want.  I see no reason to not use it inside as well.  If you plan to solder it anywhere, you should take extra measures to make a good joint.  I have seen many bad joints made with this wire.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2018, 05:47 am »
Hey Borism-- 

Yep, I hear ya!  My initial thought was to use the same Dueland wire I will be using for speaker cable.  I thought it just made sense.  But then I saw Jeff's recommendation to the guy who asked the same question about 10 days ago on this forum.  I believe Jeff recommended he use solid core 16GA, either Neotech or Jupiter, with a cotton dialectric.  It got me intrigued, and I value Jeff's thoughts, so I wanted to see what Jeff might recommend in my situation with my system.

--Rob

Speaker cable to the cabinet is typically full power, and full band width, and longer in length.  Post-xo, is limited in power, bandwidth, and length.  Better application specific choices are possible.