Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Folsom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #300 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm »

I've been bi-amping since the 80's.
If the XLS's sound that good, bi-amping or Tri-amping with them wouldn't be all that expensive.
Hmm, I like it.

All you need is two 1/8in to 1/8in links as far as it appears on the back of them. Funny medium for connection, but it's only got to be about 6in cord or something like that.

mr_bill

« Reply #301 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:35 pm »
Just a heads up that Jack and I are having a great time with the XLS here. And we had one big surprise here today.

We are hoping that you share with us sometime today.

OzarkTom

« Reply #302 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm »
If I ever get time, I need to hook up my powered Infinity subs and play with the high pass crossover. I am sure the Crown will sound better.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is what Roscoe is referring to?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #303 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm »
Something caught on fire?

WireNut

« Reply #304 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:48 pm »
Something caught on fire?

Oh no, say it aint so  :lol:

rodge827

« Reply #305 on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm »
Gotta laugh at this thread...
Here we are a bunch of grown men waiting around for 2 guy's opinions on the sound of a $400.00 amp. :shake:

When Jack and Roscoe finally get through labor and deliver a review, let's smoke a cigar and pick a name for this baby!  :smoke:

roscoeiii

« Reply #306 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:20 am »
Still wrapping up over here. Patience folks,  patience.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #307 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:35 am »
The cryoman said the amp was going in the machine today. Then he lets it burn in for 48 hours after freezing and ships it back to me. I will let the amp burn in another 100 hours to make sure the amp sounds it's best. If there is only a 5-10% improvement, I won't bother to ship the other amp back. If it is clearly 20% better or more, my other amp will be going to him.

I am still somewhat a skeptic, or I would ship my Sony music player and my Job amp in. The Crown I sent cost me $200, so to add another $65 or so is not going to cost me much more than the price of a tube these days.

Hey Tom, you think you'll get the cryo crown back before the Thanksgiving weekend? Really interested to see how it turns out. Hopefully in a week or so you can give a thumbs up or down whether it was woth it or not.

OzarkTom

« Reply #308 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:45 am »
Hey Tom, you think you'll get the cryo crown back before the Thanksgiving weekend? Really interested to see how it turns out. Hopefully in a week or so you can give a thumbs up or down whether it was woth it or not.

I doubt it, the cryoman wanted to burn the amp in for 72 hours so he and a friend can compare it to the amp that he owns. He wants to find out if this is a serious sleeper.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #309 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:51 am »
I doubt it, the cryoman wanted to burn the amp in for 72 hours so he and a friend can compare it to the amp that he owns. He wants to find out if this is a serious sleeper.

Sounds like you just started another tour!  :lol:

Funny how this amp somehow missed AC after seeing threads from Audioholics and or AVS from a few years back kind of doing what we're doing here.

dlaloum

« Reply #310 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:53 am »
All you need is two 1/8in to 1/8in links as far as it appears on the back of them. Funny medium for connection, but it's only got to be about 6in cord or something like that.

Thats what I use - two 6" cables tie them together for biamping....

OzarkTom

« Reply #311 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:57 am »

Funny how this amp somehow missed AC after seeing threads from Audioholics and or AVS from a few years back kind of doing what we're doing here.

I might let Jack and Roscoe hear it, but no tour. That one is mine. :thumb:

dlaloum

« Reply #312 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:57 am »

Those threads are what led me to take the plunge with the XLS.

Here is Australia, they cost about double the US price, which leads to a more considered decision process, but the 110V units can be converted easily to 240V, so I brought them in from the US.

Most of those threads however were focused on HT use, few of them had the stereo focus that this community has - making this series of test/reviews quite interesting.
Also the community on here is already more digital than the communities on those forums were a couple of years back, with products like Cherry, Ncore, and Hypex for comparison....

Like I said this is an interesting thread...

Folsom

« Reply #313 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:08 am »
Thats what I use - two 6" cables tie them together for biamping....

Are you being serious?

dlaloum

« Reply #314 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:20 am »
Yes - I run the main stereo signal into the first XLS2500 (via the XLR inputs - this is my upper frequency amp) then daisy chain via short 6" cables with 1/4" jacks to the 2nd XLS2500 which runs the woofer. (with relevant crossover settings set internally within the respective XLS')

roscoeiii

« Reply #315 on: 24 Nov 2014, 03:01 am »
OK,  a more in depth write-up from my afternoon with Jack will need to come later. But what really transformed the XLS in his system? Plugging it into a power conditioner. My Running Springs Haley. Night and day difference in his system,  with his AC power. Prior to the Haley, the amp was too forward and bright in Jack's system.  Felt a bit harsh with his speakers, which I'd say are a bit forward,  until the conditioner came into the picture. But then bam! Much more impressive, with great detail and oomph.

Now did they have the magic of the ncore in his system? No. But lemme tell you, ncore is a magical pairing with those speakers. Just great synergy there. So no shame in the XLS game when getting good power. I am also very interested I how the XLS sounds with the more laid back Von Schweikert speakers at my place. Will try that combo out shortly.

rascal

« Reply #316 on: 24 Nov 2014, 03:08 am »
Well, conclusions are similar  :P  (I am) not going to be replacing ncores with XLS from the mains  :icon_surprised: Careful level matching and playing different kinds of music (most familiar with) will enable one to make the call.

Looking forward to more opinions..

OzarkTom

« Reply #317 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:05 pm »
OK,  a more in depth write-up from my afternoon with Jack will need to come later. But what really transformed the XLS in his system? Plugging it into a power conditioner. My Running Springs Haley. Night and day difference in his system,  with his AC power. Prior to the Haley, the amp was too forward and bright in Jack's system.  Felt a bit harsh with his speakers, which I'd say are a bit forward,  until the conditioner came into the picture. But then bam! Much more impressive, with great detail and oomph.

Did you and Jack want to try the cryo Crown when it is ready?

roscoeiii

« Reply #318 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm »
Ooh Yeah, I do.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #319 on: 24 Nov 2014, 07:08 pm »
I've noticed on Parts Express that 'new and improved' Crown XTi 2 Series amp are available. They appear to have ~30% more power and are quite a bit more expensive. Any thoughts or experience with these?

I've located someone in my area who is asking $300 for a Crown XLS 1500. It's 5 months old. His asking price seems a bit high. Any suggestions on a more reasonable bid from me without pissing him off too much?

Thanks.

Michael