Something new that sounds incredible

Danny Richie

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #580 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:29 pm »
Not sure I'm getting the picture. Do you mean two vertical front firing drivers and one side firing?

They are on the sides of the V.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #581 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:03 pm »
They are on the sides of the V.

So all three drivers are side firing, two are firing out toward the side walls and one is firing in towards the center of the speakers (the two inside firing drivers are firing towards each other)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #582 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:15 pm »
Yes. But keep in mind that these are playing in an omni radiation pattern in those low ranges. So there really isn't a firing direction, just a facing direction.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #583 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:41 pm »
Yes. But keep in mind that these are playing in an omni radiation pattern in those low ranges. So there really isn't a firing direction, just a facing direction.

Thanks.

How would you compare the expected performance of these vs two 12" drivers in you OB sub W frame with 1" or 1 1/2" thick framing with the Wedgies?

Captainhemo

« Reply #584 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:59 am »

Danny,  would having these cross  fairly high (clase to 200Hz) to match the Wedgies not  somewhat   reduce the omni directional aspect of the side firing drivers ?

Mike, if yo do go with the 12's,  go 1.5" .  I am surprised at how much force these drivers put  on even an OB frame,  they still really load the cabinet

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #585 on: 22 Nov 2014, 01:48 am »
Danny,  would having these cross  fairly high (clase to 200Hz) to match the Wedgies not  somewhat   reduce the omni directional aspect of the side firing drivers ?

Mike, if yo do go with the 12's,  go 1.5" .  I am surprised at how much force these drivers put  on even an OB frame,  they still really load the cabinet

-jay

Good to know, thanks Jay.  I'm leaning towards the 12's if beefing up the frame will overcome the W frame's shortcomings. While on the surface it looks like three 8's would be the same as two 12's, if I have done the math correctly, two 12's have ~ 50% more surface area than three 8's which I would think would result in improved performance.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #586 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:09 am »
I wonder how hard it would be to  lay out/cut dado's for a W frame ....   If youlaid it out with a  jig and used a router it might  not be too  difficult... :scratch:
I'd think the dado's would help .
Also,  double up the top & bottom panels like I did

My math comes out the same, rughly 226 "2 vs  150"2.  I thought about going with  8's as well  but  after talking with Danny  and looking at the cost difference,  decided I might as well go with the 12's.  I believe Danny  now has the FR 08's  in stock now so you could use those  :thumb:

-jay

jparkhur

« Reply #587 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:59 am »
Unless you have a design plan or need for narrow. Two 12s better than three 8 s hands down.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #588 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:41 pm »
No doubt about it. The 12's will play lower and hit hard in those lower ranges.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #589 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:57 pm »
No doubt about it. The 12's will play lower and hit hard in those lower ranges.

Will beefing up the W frame overcome the issues you mentioned earlier with this design?

Danny Richie

« Reply #590 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:05 pm »
Will beefing up the W frame overcome the issues you mentioned earlier with this design?

Yep.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #591 on: 22 Nov 2014, 04:57 pm »
That's it then. I'll be building my Wedgie bass sections with two 12's in a beefed up W frame. That way I'll be able to get the best bass and still end up with the Wedgie tweeter centered at 39" (ear height in my recliner).

I'll start in on these as soon as I finish the MTM and CS Encores I'm building as Christmas presents. The CS Encores are all veneered, inlaid and ready for finishing. I'm starting to apply the veneer on the MTM Encores today.

I can't wait. As great as the Wedgies are, using a single 8" non-servo driver in a ported box (-3dB @ 28Hz) for 200Hz and down leaves a lot to be desired. The Wedgies are pleading with me to give them the bass they deserve. I can't hold out much longer. The whining is really getting on my nerves   :shake:

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #592 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:06 pm »
Double the side panels and connect the left and right sides with a brace (I used birch ply) running between them. As good as an H-frame.

Danny Richie

« Reply #593 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:16 pm »
Double the side panels and connect the left and right sides with a brace (I used birch ply) running between them. As good as an H-frame.

That is true.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #594 on: 22 Nov 2014, 09:32 pm »
Should the baffles be  1-1/2" thick also or just the sides, top and bottom?

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #595 on: 22 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm »
If your going 1-1/2" wide on the sides, maybe consider sand filled.
It was the best decision I made when building my Super V.
Gives a great place to conceal the wires as well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #596 on: 23 Nov 2014, 06:37 pm »
If your going 1-1/2" wide on the sides, maybe consider sand filled.
It was the best decision I made when building my Super V.
Gives a great place to conceal the wires as well.

That looks really good but boy does it look like a lot of work and heavy!  I want something sound but something I can move both now and in the future.

I wondered how you got the curves on your speakers, now I know.

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #597 on: 24 Nov 2014, 07:10 am »
Mike, there is a thread here on AudioCircle GR detailing Lundy's entire build of the "Jukebox" Super-V's. Genius!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #598 on: 24 Nov 2014, 01:20 pm »
Mike, there is a thread here on AudioCircle GR detailing Lundy's entire build of the "Jukebox" Super-V's. Genius!

Thanks.

PDR's name is Lundy too?

MIke

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #599 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:52 pm »
 :lol:, nope......Perry