Cocktail Audio X Products

rodge827

Cocktail Audio X Products
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 02:36 pm »
I'm new to ripping music and I'm looking for a quality all in one easy solution to do so. I have done a lot of reading and looked into many of the of the products that are offered to help comp audio sound better. ie Empirical Audio, Vortexbox, iFi, etc...

Does anyone have experience with Cocktail Audio?

Looks like they are based in Korea and are readily available in the US.

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/home.php

http://www.audiox10.com/

http://www.audioplusservices.com/   Click on the dealer locator and punch in your zip code.

Thanks,

Chris

Nick B

Re: Cocktail Audio X Products
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2015, 10:38 pm »
I was wondering about them also. Saw the equipment at CES in the Usher room. Apparently they have 2 different products. Both have on board storage room for a hard drive. One does 16/44 only and the other does DSD also. There is a dac in each unit. The units have a slot for ripping and tagging and playing as well. There is also an app to use a tablet or iPad as a controller. This might be the ticket for me to replace my Squeezboz 2
Nick

WillyC3

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2015, 04:28 pm »
I just purchased the new Cocktail Audio x40 about a month ago.  I completed setup and the transfer of my 1.6Tb of lossless rips and high definition downloads and have been enjoying it for about two full weeks now.  Bottom line impression, very pleased with the result for the money.

Some background on my experience. I have a Bryston B135 Integrated Amp pushing B&W CM-10 speakers. I was originally using an Olive O6HD as my digital music server before I relegated it to use as an expensive doorstop over a year ago (a long sad story). I then had to re-rip my 1,600 CDs to my laptop (as Olive stored them in a proprietary indexed format after ripping and I couldn't find a way to copy the underlying flacs ripped using the Olive off of its internal drive) and used JRiver to play them off my laptop through an Oppo BDP-105 USB DAC connection to my audio system. The CD rips definitely sound more "musical" on the x40 and do not have the harsh edges some songs/discs exhibited when served off of the laptop through the Oppo DAC (this is not a knock on the Oppo DAC, also a Sabre, but likely due to using a PC that was not primarily engineered to be a high fidelity digital music server) . The difference was most noticeable on higher octave female vocals.

The x40 also plays DSD downloads at full fidelity and works with Double DSD (DSD128).  I downloaded a Keith Greeninger recording from Blue Coast Records in both the DSD 2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz versions, and the presence of Keith's vocals and guitar in my listening room was ethereal in the 5.6MHz version.

There is very little out there in English that I could find on Cocktail Audio in terms of reviews and forum discussions. Most of the information of value was in German, Italian, or French forums (thank heavens for Google translate). According to one of the distributors I talked to who seemed quite knowledgeable about Cocktail Audio said they thought Cambridge Audio was behind them (Note: I did not independently verify this). The documentation in the x40 manual and online about the WebUI lay out the basics, but there was some trial and error required until I figured out how to successfully accomplish what I wanted in the most efficient manner. Once I got through the learning curve, I think that both the hardware interface and the WebUI (particularly the new beta version) are well designed and reasonably user friendly. Most of the knocks in reviews of their x30 model was in regards to using it as a power amplifier as well, which Cocktail Audio jettisoned in the x40 and instead focused on improving it's digital music server credentials.

The other solutions I was considering were the Sony HAP-Z1ES and the Bryston BDP-1USB. I had concerns about some limitations of the Sony unit, and while the Bryston hardware was higher end and the unit is very well regarded, the final solution would have cost at least 3 times as much by the time I coupled a good DAC and transport to it, resulting in a 3 device solution that also needs an external powered USB HDD to do what I accomplish with just the x40 and its internal HDD, and I am not sure how much additional improvement in sound quality my old ears would be able to discern going that more expensive and space consuming route.

I'll post any significant updates to my experience using the x40 in my system as I log more hours.

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2015, 07:29 pm »
WillyC3,

Thanks for your very good write up on the X40, been looking at it, but the cost of the unit is currently out of my budget range. I'm sure that there is a "trickle down" in quality and user friendliness to the X30 and X12. Please do keep us informed about your experiences with it.

Chris

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2015, 08:13 am »
Thanks for the excellent write up. I believe it was the X 40 that I saw at CES in the usher room. If anyone is interested contact Fred Kat @ Katliaudio.com. I believe he will discount the unit and provide the hard drive as well  and maybe add  a 1 to 2 TB unit. Please keep us updated as the unit breaks in and any comments as well about how well the unit rips and tags the CDs. I have a fair number of CDs which are extremely difficult to tag off of the Internet
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2015, 03:50 pm by Nick B »

Bonzite51

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:57 pm »
Nice info! Thanks!
Does it possible to put in already (FLAC/WAV) loaded HDD from Laptop?
What kind of OS runs on X40?

Janis

WillyC3

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:30 am »
Nice info! Thanks!
Does it possible to put in already (FLAC/WAV) loaded HDD from Laptop?
What kind of OS runs on X40?

Janis

Yes, you can load music files in any format that it plays via an external USB drive or a network it is connected to.  Not sure about what OS it runs on (I don't think I've come across it in the specs) but the preferred formatting to use for its internal HDD is Linux.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2015, 03:00 am »
I stumbled upon this researching for a unit to offer my father as a christmas present to replace an aging Squeezebox Boom.  Then came across it in the flesh at CES this year. 

The X12 does have a nice fit & finish & really is a swiss army like device.  I think the extras & things such as nice binding posts are worth the extra $ vs the X10.  I was perhaps unfairly less impressed with their more high end models because cosmetically they looked more like conventional media server PCs and the pricing was too close to better and more established players : e.g. Auralic & Aurrender.  Yes, these are servers or streamers only and don't have preamp / amps sections, but based at least on the less than favorable What Hi FI review, it doesn't seem like the Cocktail Audio products at least as stand alone amps sound that great.  As servers / streamers into external DACs I'd imagine they'd do better, but at $1,600 (X30) to $2,500 (X40), I'm guessing as a streamer / server only you'd be better off with an Auralic Aries or shelling out a bit more for an entry level Aurrender. For all those reasons I think the X12 is really the best bang for the buck : i.e as a budget server / streamer until your ready or have the means to go up to something better.