Oldest piece of audio gear you currently use

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Oldest piece of audio gear you currently use
« Reply #100 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:07 pm »
I'm going even further backwards with a Sherwood S3000-III tuner replacing a Carver TX-11a.
The Sherwood is fresh from a check up at the shop and it sounds really nice and has surprising reception, too.  I'm picking up a jazz station, which is coming in crystal clear, from Washington, DC which is a good 125 miles from me.
steve, do yourself a favor and ask bob f, over at the yahoo fmtuner forum, to hook you up w/a modern outboard mpx stereo decoder.  combine wintage w/modern and you will be in for a true sonic treat.   8)

doug s.

Levi

« Reply #101 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:27 pm »
I still have the original 1950s KT88 Genalex Gold Lion tubes that came with my McIntosh MC-60 monos.  This one will last me a lifetime. :D

Brett Buck

« Reply #102 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »
I still have the original 1950s KT88 Genalex Gold Lion tubes that came with my McIntosh MC-60 monos.  This one will last me a lifetime.

Please tell me that there is a lot more padding in this box than is apparent. KT88s are notoriously fragile (i. the internal parts are easy to displace with shock).

Brett

Levi

« Reply #103 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm »
Thanks for the concern Brett.  They were stashed away in a nice warm KT88 boxes then bubble wrapped 2x. :)

CSI

« Reply #104 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:34 pm »
My oldest working piece of gear is a beautiful Tandberg portable radio from the 70's. All teakwood cabinet. Used a zillion D cells. I'm traveling so no pics available.

mort

« Reply #105 on: 9 Dec 2010, 09:16 pm »
Dukane twin mono tube amps - circa 1960. 

Weirdo, but quite cheap, 2 x 6CD6 (each amp) tubes in it.

I just adore them :thumb:

John

In high school I liberated a large abandend ferry boat of its massive Ducane P.A system amplifier. That thing was amazing . My budies and I collected all of our parents speakers and hooked as many of them as we could up to that thing for a big party. It absolutly cranked!!  I wonder where it is at now? I bet my friend still has it in his garage.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #106 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:13 am »
Doug S,
Even with a stereo tuner? 
That might have to wait a little bit as I'm looking at some Bryston and B&K amps at the moment.  Bryston for home theater and B&K for bi-amping my Maggie 3.6s. 
I also have that Harman Kardon F500x in the shop and need to get that old thing going again (hopefully).

TheChairGuy

« Reply #107 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:13 am »
In high school I liberated a large abandend ferry boat of its massive Ducane P.A system amplifier. That thing was amazing . My budies and I collected all of our parents speakers and hooked as many of them as we could up to that thing for a big party. It absolutly cranked!!  I wonder where it is at now? I bet my friend still has it in his garage.

Yeah, my Dukies were PA amps, too (I don't think they made any hifi).  They came from a public school in Milwaukeen that 'upgraded' their PA system.

Their 'upgrade' was my gain  8)

John

mort

« Reply #108 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:39 am »
Yeah, my Dukies were PA amps, too (I don't think they made any hifi).  They came from a public school in Milwaukeen that 'upgraded' their PA system.

Their 'upgrade' was my gain  8)

John
Thats Hilarious. As our senior prank in  1992 we tried to hook that old Ducane up to our school PA and have a pirate raidio station brodcasting to the whole school. Our plans were folied by a angry shop teacher who found a crawl space hatch had been used for acsess.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #109 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:56 am »
I bet when that shop teacher went back to his office he said "that's a GREAT idea!  Wish I'd thought of it first!" :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #110 on: 11 Dec 2010, 11:29 am »
if your sherwood has the built-in mpx added, then you are good to go; i simply assumed it was mono...

if you are looking for amps for maggies, check out the rewiew of the ec aw180's by dick olsher in the latest enjoy the music online release.  while you may not want to spend that kinda cash, any older used ec amp will have the same kind of goodness...  amhik...   8)

doug s.

Doug S,
Even with a stereo tuner? 
That might have to wait a little bit as I'm looking at some Bryston and B&K amps at the moment.  Bryston for home theater and B&K for bi-amping my Maggie 3.6s. 
I also have that Harman Kardon F500x in the shop and need to get that old thing going again (hopefully).

PeterC

« Reply #111 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:56 pm »
Oldest equipment still in used.  Marantz 510M from late 70's.

1ZIP

« Reply #112 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:17 am »
My mint 2270

bogiedr

« Reply #113 on: 30 Dec 2010, 01:16 am »
1986 Luxman PX 100 Quartz Drive table, great sound! Original owner. 8)

Delta Wave

« Reply #114 on: 30 Dec 2010, 07:13 am »
My mint 2270

I had a 2285 that served me well for like 20 years. It had an outstanding phono section but I ended up finally selling it because as good as it was, I didn't need the world largest phono stage. :)

Eadron

« Reply #115 on: 31 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm »
Altec 604C Coaxial Duplex from '56. Very nice! The speakers are handmade Kult 1s from the Netherlands.

jouni

mcgarick

« Reply #116 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:01 am »
Accuphase P-300 and C-200  :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #117 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:09 am »
Altec 604C Coaxial Duplex from '56. Very nice! The speakers are handmade Kult 1s from the Netherlands.

jouni

Awesome!

Airborn

« Reply #118 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:33 pm »
EPI A1100 speakers bought new in 1984.  I still listen to these occassionally in a spare bedroom system.

giantsteps

« Reply #119 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:32 pm »

An Edison shortwave radio that belonged to my grandmother. I'm not sure but I think it's circa early 1920's. It's of course retro pretty. :thumb: . I use it rarely just to see if it's still working.  :) I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Frank