CAPS V2/3 Build (similar to the Ted_B Version)

InfernoSTi

CAPS V2/3 Build (similar to the Ted_B Version)
« on: 7 Jun 2013, 04:56 am »
I am enjoying my CAPS V2/3 build.  Being a Mac guy, it's all a learning process from top to bottom.  Here is my parts list so far:

1. Wesena ITX6-S (Silver) Mini HTPC Chassis $78.00
2. Intel Innovation DN2800MT Desktop Motherboard - Intel NM10 Express Chipset $97.99
3. Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT60GB-DX mSATA 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $89.99
4. Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model 991644 $30.99
5a. SIIG DP USB 3.0 2-Port PCIe - Value Model JU-P20811-S1 $32.99
5b. PPACAT USB 3.0 PCIe (based on NEC uPD720200 chip, low jitter TCXO, and hand made output transformer using multi cores silver cable) $169 (shipping)
6. Windows 8 Pro (Full Version) $139.99
7. JRiver Media Center 18 for Windows ($50)

I'm running a Synology 213+ NAS via eithernet for the library.  It plays 16/44 through 24/192 and DSD 64/128 files nicely.  The sound is a little more "airy" than my Mac Mini (which seems "dense or darker" by comparison).

I still need to source a decent 12v DC linear power supply.  Any suggestions under $400 would be welcome!

Best,
John

EDIT: I realize I most likely posted this in the wrong forum...I'm using it for my DSD and other high res server so I was thinking of hi rez...please move it if it is better elsewhere.  John
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 03:42 am by InfernoSTi »

InfernoSTi

Re: CAPS V2/3 Build (similar to the Ted_B Version)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2013, 01:05 am »
One comment and one question:

First, I finally downloaded Fidelizer and have to say "WOW" what a difference this program makes.  It really helps clear up the upper end and allow the midrange to sound full and sweet.  This goes in the "must do" category.  I'm really enjoying this server a ton!

Second, I am having trouble playing 384kHz files (upsamples from JRiver) without audio dropouts while it rebuffers mid-song.  I don't have this trouble with 192kHz files nor did I have this trouble with my Mac Mini.

I have tried several buffering settings (from more to less) with no change in behavior.  If anyone else has solved this by using a particular setting, I'd love a hint about your solution! 

Also, is there any opinion if this might be a processor issue or a RAM issue?  I am running 4GB of RAM and could up it to 8GB if folks thought that might help. 

Best,
John

6/22/13 EDIT:  It turns out it wasn't the RAM causing the audio fallouts at all.  Turns out that I needed to set the up sample rates to even multiples of 44.1 and 48 which happen to be 352.8kHz for 44.1, 88.2, and 176.4 files and 384kHz for 48, 96, and 192 files.  No fallouts for buffering.  This also allows a "no filter" setting to be applied to PCM playback!  I'm very happy with the results (and being able to use 4GB of RAM). 
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 08:49 pm by InfernoSTi »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2013, 03:41 am »
Well, things are running great with my CAPS V2+, Teac UD-501 DSD DAC, and listening to SACDs ripped from my PS3. 

I've got "Wish You Were Hear" by Pink Floyd freshly ripped to .dsf playing and it is a revelation in smooth and dynamic sound compared to Redbook PCM.  No comparison whatsoever.  I've got three other SACD rips in queue for tonight: Stevie Ray Vaughn "Couldn't Stand the Weather" MOFI edition and two Rickie Lee Jones..."It's Like This" and "Traffic From Paradise" (MOFI, too).  This little music server sure makes beautiful music! 

Best,
John

P.S. Thank you, Ted_B (for the PS3 advice and for nudging me in the direction of a CAPS server).

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2013, 07:36 pm »
If I mimicked this build, would I be able to use this machine for video playback as well using a 12v DC Linear PSU?  I get a little lost with these the PSU requirements but would want to serve hi def movies to my plasma via HDMI along with basic Netflix duties.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2013, 06:54 am »
Gopher,

I owe you a PM...I'm closing on my house sale tomorrow so I'm a bit distracted of late...will respond in detail. 

I've not tried video but (making a HUGE assumption) you would want a Zuma based CAPS for that.  I think this is perfect for audio but would hesitate on video/surround sound.  Perhaps others would jump in. 

You wil want the linear 12v supply...makes all the difference in the world.

Best,
John

DaveBSC

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2013, 07:24 am »
What LPS did you end up going with?

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2013, 01:26 pm »
The popular ones are Paul Hynes, MainsCablesRus, Keckis, Teddy Pardo, King Rex and for Europeans 230VAC only ...SqueezeUpdate.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2013, 07:11 pm »
What LPS did you end up going with?

I didn't have a good idea of which one would be the best value/performance LPS and I wasn't even sure if it would be as pronounced an upgrade as folks were saying.  But I still wanted to try it very much, so I built my own to give it a try and can say, to me, it isn't something I'd go back from. 

I might get a better one, perhaps, but not drop it from the system.  I'm going to be in about $100 to $150 before it's all done.  It has two rails (12v DC and 5v DC), low ripple (<5mV), and +/- 1-2v DC adjustment on each rail so you can dial it in exactly as you like it.

It is a Power One CP-510A low ripple power supply that I got from an AC member a while ago that needed a bit of rewiring.  I added a 4-pin molex connector wired for 12v and 5v, as well as a mains wiring w/ground.  I made a 48" split power cable that is 4-pin molex on one end (to connect to the power supply DC out connector) and a 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel jack connector for the 12v connection on one half of the "Y" and a 4-pin molex connecter wired just for 5v on the other half of the "Y". 

The sound improvement is really impressive.  I did one of those "I can't stop listening" the first night, playing song after song that I know very well and everything sounded better. 

My early impressions are significant improvements in soundstage (speakers absolutely disappear), bass (more articulation/detail), highs (more articulation/detail), and a "blacker" background. The music is also much "punchier" greater "clarity" than before (by clarity, I mean the tone quality is richer and the detail smoother). The difference seems to be significant enough that I wouldn't go back even after just a short time.

I'm going to build a nice vented case for it and make it a little safer (not an open case) and give it a little better appearance.  Overall, for the $100, you can't really beat the value and ease to put it together. 

Best,
John

« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2013, 01:05 pm by InfernoSTi »