Electric car

charmerci

Re: Electric car
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:56 am »
Paying more for a smaller engine.....

:scratch:

Paying for the technology and ,unless you're selling 100's of thousands of them, it's going to cost more as an option.

sts9fan

« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:04 pm »
generally speaking it sounds like you are not a good fit for a EV.  Unless you want a Tesla S or X

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:08 pm »
No technology or vehicle can help you to reduce your carbon footprint or create a meaningful reduction in transportation expense compared to what could be achieved by simply shortening your commute.

Where do you live?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:51 pm »
Paying for the technology and ,unless you're selling 100's of thousands of them, it's going to cost more as an option.

It's not technology. It's just a smaller engine. And Ford, as a whole, does sell many of them. My personal vehicle is an Escape with the 2.0 EcoBoost. I see tons of Fords with Ecoboost badges on the road.

This is the problem I have with small cars - they are overpriced. The Mini, the Smart, the Fiat, etc... You can buy a bigger car or a pre-owned car for the similar money and be better off.

Research I did a while ago:
Smart Car - $17K
Last year's base model Ford truck - $18K

The truck is more functional and probably lasts longer.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:15 pm »
I drive a Prius but I looked into the Smart Car recently for someone else and found a lot of owners who claim it is a POS. Probably not characteristic of small cars.

What we really need is fast, efficient coast to coast rail service and small, affordable diesel passenger cars. Unfortunately, we are kept from the benefits of these services by a powerful, self-interested energy lobby.

If I could get a Mini diesel like JohnR has, I might buy it today.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2014, 10:17 pm »
It's not technology. It's just a smaller engine. And Ford, as a whole, does sell many of them. My personal vehicle is an Escape with the 2.0 EcoBoost. I see tons of Fords with Ecoboost badges on the road.

This is the problem I have with small cars - they are overpriced. The Mini, the Smart, the Fiat, etc... You can buy a bigger car or a pre-owned car for the similar money and be better off.

Research I did a while ago:
Smart Car - $17K
Last year's base model Ford truck - $18K

+1 for Ford. I have 2 ford vehicles, 1 is a Fusion with a 4 cylinder engine that has gotten 37 miles to the gallon, the other an F150 that has 5K miles on it in 1 1/2 years. I take the F150 on trips because it is the safest machine I own. The gas mileage at trip time is not important. Safety is................

The truck is more functional and probably lasts longer.

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm »

Ford sells about 70K Fiestas each year and 600+K Ford F-150's alone. A large car/truck doesn't really cost much more to make than a small car. Large vehicles are where they make their profits - not small cars. Labor is generally about 50-60% of labor costs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2014, 12:42 am »
OK, I'm pulling out the big guns (2014 Consumers Report).  :green:

Least expensive to own: Toyota Prius C Two (43 mpg)

Best cars under $25,000: Chevrolet Sonic (30 mpg), Honda Civic (29 mpg), Kia Rio (30 mpg), Subaru Impreza (27 mpg), Toyota Corolla (32 mpg)

I'm a Toyota fan, looked at Prius C but it was cheap inside. Owned a 2009 Corolla, much nicer and got 40 mpg overall (new model is supposed to do better).  Civic was comfortable for me and I'd expect it to get comparable mileage to the Corolla.  Also own a 2009 Subaru Outback and it averages 27 mpg year round on the open road, so I'd expect better from the Impreza.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:41 am »
I would not get a GM nor a Toyota.

All vehicles have recalls against them. My work van (Dodge Caravan) and personal vehicle (Ford Escape) have both had recalls. Even Lamborghini has had recalls. But, both GM and Toyota has had the most recalls reported on the news.

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2014, 07:09 am »
OK, I'm pulling out the big guns (2014 Consumers Report).  :green:

Least expensive to own: Toyota Prius C Two (43 mpg)

Best cars under $25,000: Chevrolet Sonic (30 mpg), Honda Civic (29 mpg), Kia Rio (30 mpg), Subaru Impreza (27 mpg), Toyota Corolla (32 mpg)

I know this is about electric vehicles so I'm sorry to digress - but years ago, I drove a '92 Mercury Sable from DC to Chicago at 70mph, the whole way. It had a 3.6 liter V6 and I got 36 mpg! If that was possible 20 years ago, why aren't cars doing better? (outside of jacking up hp year after year)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:53 am »
I know this is about electric vehicles so I'm sorry to digress - but years ago, I drove a '92 Mercury Sable from DC to Chicago at 70mph, the whole way. It had a 3.6 liter V6 and I got 36 mpg! If that was possible 20 years ago, why aren't cars doing better? (outside of jacking up hp year after year)
Cars are doing better in other countries. Our nation prevents us from keeping pace.

sts9fan

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2014, 01:39 pm »
If I could get a Mini diesel like JohnR has, I might buy it today.

How different is that from a VW Golf TDI?  They will still get 45-50mpg depending on season. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm »
How different is that from a VW Golf TDI?  They will still get 45-50mpg depending on season.
Good question - I guess I should investigate.

charmerci

« Reply #33 on: 4 Nov 2014, 11:41 am »
If a bunch of guys in a garage can do - 200 mile range, 200mpg, 4 passenger, 0-60 in 6.2 and 130 mile an hour - I think this shows a major FAIL on the big car companies.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/11/illuminati-motor-works-seven-translogic-156/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00001346&utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_291484&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00001346