Class D amps with Tubed Pre

OzarkTom

Re: Class D amps with Tubed Pre
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2014, 05:44 am »
Yeah but how good , best class D or best period .....

NYAL Futterman OTL-1's are the very best that I have heard, but almost impossible to find used. This beats my Job amp and I am sure you have read those great reviews.

sonicxtc

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2014, 03:15 pm »
Based on much of what I’ve read, and some direct experience, having a tube in the circuit [amp or pre-amp] is often a sonic benefit. Early on in my audio adventures, I teamed a Dynaco pre with a B & K solid state amp. I once had a classdaudio sds amp [class d] fed by an Eastern Electric tube pre and I thought the combo was excellent.

Right now I’m considering a tube pre with the class d Crown amps Tom and Dave have recently touted based on their personal listening experience.  The "issue" there is why bother with ANY active pre-amp when a digital source does NOT require the gain stage in a pre-amp? If anything the pre-amp is used as a volume control to attenuate the signal.

Well, very recently I spoke to a well respected audio designer and asked him about this matter.

He suggested that the best sound from a digitally based system is to run the signal from the DAC directly to a tube pre-amp [BYPASSING the dac’s inboard analog output gain stage]. His point is that a great tube pre could provide the “gain” needed in the digital realm with superior fidelity than the DAC’s inboard analog gain stage. I think his concept has a lot of merit. He achieved it with an NAD cd player and loved the result. I’m actually wondering if this can be achieved with most DACs and would like to try it. I HAD been thinking a digital signal “naturally” provides the 2 volt output so it does not REQUIRE any gain stage [ala a pre-amp], but, in fact, there is gain coming from the DAC itself. Food for thought. I’d welcome some feedback on this concept. Maybe, this deserves its own thread as I don't intend to distract from the main question here.

Good luck in your quest.

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2014, 03:44 pm »
I use an iFi iTube ($299.00) between my SS Dual Core 2.0 and custom Mosfet amp. I also used the iTube with the TBI amp I had. The iTube took the TBI to another level and did a lot of good bringing out the finer points of the TBI. Better clarity, bass, warmer mids, with a larger and deeper sound stage. The TBI was a very good performer, but in my system the highs had a very metallic like sound and didn't extend as naturally like I get with my Mosfet amp.

Chris

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2014, 03:49 pm »
Based on much of what I’ve read, and some direct experience, having a tube in the circuit [amp or pre-amp] is often a sonic benefit. Early on in my audio adventures, I teamed a Dynaco pre with a B & K solid state amp. I once had a classdaudio sds amp [class d] fed by an Eastern Electric tube pre and I thought the combo was excellent.

Right now I’m considering a tube pre with the class d Crown amps Tom and Dave have recently touted based on their personal listening experience.  The "issue" there is why bother with ANY active pre-amp when a digital source does NOT require the gain stage in a pre-amp? If anything the pre-amp is used as a volume control to attenuate the signal.

Well, very recently I spoke to a well respected audio designer and asked him about this matter.

He suggested that the best sound from a digitally based system is to run the signal from the DAC directly to a tube pre-amp [BYPASSING the dac’s inboard analog output gain stage]. His point is that a great tube pre could provide the “gain” needed in the digital realm with superior fidelity than the DAC’s inboard analog gain stage. I think his concept has a lot of merit. He achieved it with an NAD cd player and loved the result. I’m actually wondering if this can be achieved with most DACs and would like to try it. I HAD been thinking a digital signal “naturally” provides the 2 volt output so it does not REQUIRE any gain stage [ala a pre-amp], but, in fact, there is gain coming from the DAC itself. Food for thought. I’d welcome some feedback on this concept. Maybe, this deserves its own thread as I don't intend to distract from the main question here.

Good luck in your quest.

Yes, there are tube DACS and CDPs that have tube output stages and some folks modify their gear to use tube output stages. I prefer tubes for their simplicity but SS gain stages can sound great too. Tubes can add a fullness, warmth and dimensionality to the sound that D amps sometimes have an issue with so the match can be very good.

steve f

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2015, 09:39 pm »
Just wanted to add that Transcendent Sound preamps are tubed, low cost, and sound excellent. The downside is they are kits. If you have soldering skills it's a great way to add tube sound to your class D amp.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2015, 11:14 pm »
Just wanted to add that Transcendent Sound preamps are tubed, low cost, and sound excellent. The downside is they are kits. If you have soldering skills it's a great way to add tube sound to your class D amp.

.........and there is one that was built by Transcendent Sound for sale here on AC.