Testing & pushing the RS5 to their full potential. Q on bipole for small room.

Ultralight

I've been quite taken recently but the RS5 driver in a Super 3i.  Some of you already know that if you saw my review in the review circle.  In my spare time, I've been thinking about how to maximize the RS5 driver in various permutations.   

Thanks to Louis & Rajacat, shortly, I will be setting up a pair of Omega Bipoles with the RS5 drivers.  Doing a search, I see that there were a number of posts quite a few years back on the Bipoles though they are not with the current RS5 drivers.   The RS5 bipole doesn't seem to garner much discussion recently but figure I'll broach the subject again here. 

The bipoles I have coming have two separate chambers, one for each driver, and can be run monopole (so it sounds like a Super 3i though probably with a bit more mids/bass fatness given slightly more volume and wider baffles), bipole, and dipole.  It's almost an all in one speaker for someone to test various configurations, and adapt the speaker to different room sizes and placement. And then with my existing Super 3i,  I may also invert the super 3i on top, run both monopole but with a low pass on one to simulate a 1.5.   

So I get to test the RS5 in four configurations  monopole, 1.5, dipole and bipole.  This is what I actually I had in mind originally with a design that I conjured up.  If it works out, I may have Louis whip up a custom unit to integrate the whole shebang.   (Yes, you can call the local asylum if you wish....)

AND then I believe the RS5 could be optimized even more if the lowest frequency excursions are removed so that it reproduces the higher frequences (say 80hz or 100 hz and up).  A pair of subs will reproduce the lower frequencies. This should make for an even faster transient and more resolved system.  (I probably could use smaller cabinets for this application.)

Appreciate any comments or insights I should consider. This thing is spinning out of control... :lol:

Question: For those of you with RS5 based bipoles, any tips? And specifically, would it work for a small room with longest dimension at 13 feet?  I do have a dedicated listening room/office - but it is small and I'm told that I need at least 5' from the rear wall.  This would make the system relatively nearfield for me to stretch it out that far in a smallish room.  Or is the bipole configuration only for a large room? 

Thanks,
UL

Really looking forward to pushing the RS5 to its maximum capacity including high passing the drivers electronically and then passing bass to the subs.  So many permutations!

Thanks!
UL
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2015, 08:33 am by Ultralight »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
You could also do a 1.5 with the bipoles and LCS with the 3i.

Ultralight

opnly bafld, what is LCS?

Anyways, want to say that the bipoles just went live.  Going to break in very gently over extended period.  I subscribe to the way Mark of Alpair Audio say to break in full rangers so it is starting around 40db from 6 feet away.  Very low volume and limited low frequency content initially.  Perhaps overly cautious.

UL
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2015, 07:26 am by Ultralight »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Late Ceiling Splash.

Ultralight

Ah...you mean three drivers at once with LCS?  Bipole plus LCS?  I thought LCS is just for tweeters?

For the 1.5 bipole, how would I do the 'high pass' filter if I was doing it mechanically with a part rather than electronically?

UL

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
LCS (Late Ceiling Splash) was originally conceived by James Romeyn using two pair of 2-way compact speakers, one conventionally on stands and the other on the floor behind pointing towards the ceiling.  Duke LeJeune (see his Audio Kinesis daughter circle) uses it in some of his designs (2-way LCS).  I use it just with tweeters (running parallel with a cap) with my existing full range speakers for added highs and larger/denser soundstage.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Since your amp has 4 and 16 ohm taps you can use an inductor in parallel or a cap in series for 1.5.

rajacat

• Washington State
I doubt that bipoles need LCS since the rear facing drivers already perform a similar function.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
I doubt that bipoles need LCS since the rear facing drivers already perform a similar function.

He can use the bipoles as a 1.5 for a midbass boost and they can be placed closer to the wall with a seperate "ambiance" speaker.

rajacat

• Washington State
He can use the bipoles as a 1.5 for a midbass boost and they can be placed closer to the wall with a seperate "ambiance" speaker.
I believe that bipoles provide for a midbass boost because the rear driver cancels the midbass rolloff of the front driver.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Maybe if you would read each post carefully and meditate on it you would understand better?  :dunno:

My posts are intended for Ultralight anyhow, so I'm done responding to you.

rajacat

• Washington State
Maybe if you would read each post carefully and meditate on it you would understand better?  :dunno:

My posts are intended for Ultralight anyhow, so I'm done responding to you.
Don't you think you're being a little too sensitive?
BTW, I'm the one who sold these speakers to Mo, so I know them well.

Ultralight

Just taking a quick peek in.  I do appreciate everyone's response.

I'll say that Rajacat did an amazing job packing, and the speakers are in better condition than I expected.  Great seller and very helpful.   The best part of all - the are absolutely fantastic musically. Thanks! I'll give a more complete review once I get everything sorted. 

UL

Ultralight

I'll try to update more on my review in the review circle on the Super 3i.

But will just do a quick and final update here on the Bipole that has two chambers so I can also run Monopole like a larger Super 3i.

1. For me, can be end game.

2. Bipole is a winner in every sense of the word.  Better balance of the mids - more pronounced, weightier, more presence.  Grand piano sounds more like a grand now.  All synonyms.  The Bipole vs Monopole is actually quite subtle, differential when you pull it out away from the wall - say 4 or 5 feet away. (I tried both distances. Have not tried my customary 3 feet yet.)  I get more scale and depth. Both very welcome.    And nothing that feels fake or vague about it.  Just more natural to my ears.  Wonderful.  I've not had the desire to return back to single RS5.    And the excellent wide dispersion of the RS5 remains.  Wide dispersion matters to me as I can change position with reduced shift in sound.  The KEF LS50 I started out with has excellent dispersion and that became one of the qualities I desire.

Louis has told me a number of times that his dual RS5 drivers improves the sound significantly.  He is RIGHT on the money.

And what about small room? he said to listen near field but it will sound huge.  He's right - I'm trying near field - 4 feet away? And it sounds just room filling to the edge of the room.  I am really surprised as I thought that near will compress the space, depth and scale.  Not at all. The music actually sounds like it is coming from behind the speaker (unless the music is hard panned left or right) - filling up that space. 

3. Monopole - even that is excellent - the wider baffle is a winner as it does help the mids be more weighty even with one RS5. (But two is significantly better.)   Monopole gives a more focused sound, but flatter and narrower soundstage.

Conclusion - Bipole that I can run Monopole is a winner hands down. Mine has porting for each RST on the same side as the driver  so if I want to be up right against the wall, I can just run monopole and the port points to the front.  The flexibility/adaptability of monopole/biple is very welcome. The only reason not to do it in my opinion is if one is on a budget and/or want a smaller speaker that Bipole requires. 

I'm listening to it now and I am thinking, 'This is end game.  i don't really care to upgrade.'   Just pure joy.  Note - I'm matching with my dual Pinnacle subs.   The subs are about 18 inches behind the speaker comparing front edge to front edge of the sub and speaker.  Seem to also add some depth - perhaps the phase difference. Don't know. But doesn't sound unnatural to my ears which I'm surprised.  Just huge, large scale depth.

OK, I'm done...:)   Hope someone finds this helpful.  I've not figured out how to do the low passing with my 1.5 so that I can try 1.5.  Louis, care to help....?  :thumb:

UL