What HT Receiver = Separates?

kenreau

What HT Receiver = Separates?
« on: 16 Nov 2015, 09:26 pm »
Are there Receivers out there that should perform reasonably close to my separates? 

I'm looking to downsize from separate a HT preamp/processor (Integera) and 5 channel Amp (Anthem MCA50) to just a nice HT Receiver.  I'm not a huge HT videophile, but do appreciate good quality video and sound. 

I use my dedicated 2 channel music rig (preamp with HT bypass and front L & R main speakers) for the front L & R.  I can be happy with a 5.1 or 7.1 channel receiver for the remaining channels.

I despise the plethora of all the bells & whistles manufacturers use to wow people on most receivers I see.  If there is something simple, built well and performs well, I'm interested.  I guess NAD comes to mind, but I don't know if their current company iteration still maintains that.   

My ideal would be to find a Receiver maybe 0 to 3 years old (preowned) in the $500 to $800 range.  Would also like it to include Audyssey, or modern equivalent.  I find the DSP to work wonders in my multi-use, non-dedicated room.

[For reference, my only video display is a Panasonic 60 plasma.  My sources are a Comcast X1 cable dvr, an Oppo 103 and an apple mac mini, soon to be replaced by the apple TV4.  They all connect by hdmi cables to the Integra.

I had the Panny calibrated last year and the tech defeated all the Integra pre/processor video processing, saying that the Comcast X1 and Oppo video processing direct was as good as the Integra and he didn't want them in conflict.

My center channel speaker is a Vandersteen VCC-5 with Sensitivity   of 85 dB and Impedance of 6 ohms nominal 4 ohms minimum.  The surrounds are Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL's.]

Thanks in advance
Kenreau

mca

Re: What HT Receiver = Separates?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2015, 10:19 pm »
I love my Anthem MRX710, I rank the sound quality (and quality in general) way above the AVR's I have had in the past, Rotel, Denon and Onkyo. There is a great deal on a brand new on on Agon right now, and also the previous model, the MRX700.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2015, 01:25 am »
I love my Anthem MRX710, I rank the sound quality (and quality in general) way above the AVR's I have had in the past, Rotel, Denon and Onkyo. There is a great deal on a brand new on on Agon right now, and also the previous model, the MRX700.
I'd second that even though I never owned their products - they sound really good.  I have a few systems and have 2-channel preamps with HT Bypass.  That way I just go to places like accessories4less.com and get a refurb receiver to get newer digital formats and then I still have the same 2-channel without compromise.

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2015, 09:20 pm »
Good to know, thanks guys! 

I did have an earlier Anthem HT Pre back about 8 years ago.  I think of them in the same quality level as SimAudio.  I will look into their receivers.

Thx
Kenreau

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2015, 04:23 pm »
You might want to include Arcam in your research, as well.

mca

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2015, 04:33 pm »
I had an Arcam AVR600 a few years back and while it sounded good, it was an operational nightmare. Maybe they have fixed the software problems since then? I have not had a single operational glitch with the Anthem since I bought it, so I would be inclined to stick with them.

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:13 pm »
I'm going on ten months now with the Marantz SR 7008 AVR.  It has power, versatility and it's built like a tank.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:54 pm »
The older Marantz products (of a couple of years back) are built better than the brand new models I've seen.  I had an SR 6003 in a spare system and (just) bought (a refurb unit of) an SR 5010 for the new surround formats (and moved the 6003 to the guest room).  No comparison in build quality as the 6003 is much better.  Better yet, I used to have an old SR 7300 OSE (orig. spec. edition - sold it before a move a couple of years back - was in the basement of the old house for a built) which was built unbelievable.  It was about 18 inches deep.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2015, 06:44 pm »
Look at the upper end Yamaha Advantage series.  They are one of the few that can handle nominal 4 ohm loads, and they sound pretty good overall.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2015, 07:09 pm »
I'll be looking for a refurb in a few months for the main system for the new formats.  Accessories4less.com has the major brands (including Aventage).  I had speakers put in the living room ceiling several months back for that purpose.  Going to need a higher end one for that system and going to want 11.2 (have 9.2 now).

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2015, 09:01 pm »
Is Integra any good these days? Ditto for Harman Kardon.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/

http://www.harmankardon.com/audio-video-receivers/

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm »
There are a lot of documented cases of Onkyo receivers with HDMI board failure.  Even though my brother is going on 5+ years with his, I would steer clear.

The HK stuff refurbed appears to be good value.

i am still enjoying my old Pioneer (VSX-1018) and sometimes I use an outboard amp.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm »
I'd second that even though I never owned their products - they sound really good.  I have a few systems and have 2-channel preamps with HT Bypass.  That way I just go to places like accessories4less.com and get a refurb receiver to get newer digital formats and then I still have the same 2-channel without compromise.

Can you explain further how that works? 2 Channel audio is VERY important to me but need something that can decode, like you said, all the new digital formats for my home theater system. So I would buy an avr for the home theater portion of it and a separate 2 channel pre-amp for listening to music?

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:12 am »
Can you explain further how that works? 2 Channel audio is VERY important to me but need something that can decode, like you said, all the new digital formats for my home theater system. So I would buy an avr for the home theater portion of it and a separate 2 channel pre-amp for listening to music?

Yes that is what you would buy and use an amp for the front channels.  It is basically an analog pass through input where the 2-channel preamp does not control the volume.  The volume is controlled by the receiver.  In my main system, my Modwright LS36.5 DM (preamp) has such an input but it defaults to HT Bypass when the unit is off so I don't even need to turn on my preamp and use tube life.

I view (and someone else can have an entirely different opinion) receivers like PCs.  Technology changes rapidly and therefore I buy factory refurbs (from accessories4less.com).  I recent got an Onkyo TX-RZ3100.  Spent more than I usually do (for a receiver) but so far (just have it a few weeks) it is working out well.  I have, including the new one 4 receivers in different systems where I got factory refurbs.  Picked up a Marantz 5010 earlier this year for a back-up HT.  I also have a 2-channel preamp in that system (Sherbourn) and a 2-channel amp (Emotiva) and I'd call that an entry level high end system and at the same time it is a nice HT with the 5010. 

I got a great deal on the Sherbourn when they merged with Emotiva.  At one point, the preamp was $899 when sold thru dealers, then they went to a direct to consumer model and it was $529 and then they blew them out for $179, shipping included.  It also, although I'm not using it has a phono stage.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:17 am »
There are a lot of documented cases of Onkyo receivers with HDMI board failure.  Even though my brother is going on 5+ years with his, I would steer clear.

The HK stuff refurbed appears to be good value.

i am still enjoying my old Pioneer (VSX-1018) and sometimes I use an outboard amp.

Onkyo extended the warranty (thru 2018) on 2009-2012 models.  I bought a refurb Onkyo 1008 probably over 5 years ago.  Had it in the basement system of the old house for a few years and in the main system of the current house for a couple and then was using it in 2-channel for my main PC (pair of Selah Audio SA2s) and it developed the problem.  Registered it on Onkyo's website, received a box and instructions with a prepaid shipping label.  Shipped it off and they got it on December 5 and sent it back on its way December 6 and I got it on December 8.

I have a Pioneer 1120 in the master bedroom system.  I got an authorized dealer when the unit was new to match an online price and received it as a steal.  I bought it for my old house basement system but the room was huge and it just didn't sound good and I got the Onkyo 1008 and moved the Pioneer initially to my office system.  Works great in the current master bedroom and powers the outdoor speakers.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:23 am »
I don't know (with the exception of maybe stuff like Anthem or similar brands) if any of the mass market receivers have a distinct huge advantage.  Before I bought my refurb Onkyo TX-TZ3100, I bought a refurb Marantz 6011 and returned it in a couple of days.  Doing 11 channels in the main system (7.1.4 in Atmos terms).  Re-assigning the amps just produced huge hum, particularly in the side surrounds and it was just too distracting.  HK in the past (don't know about recent stuff) had quality control issues too.

I guess that's why I like refurbs.  I have a Marantz 6003 (now in the upstairs bonus room) I bought from a dealer where I used to live.  The original unit I had crapped out after a few weeks and a got another unit.  the '04' Marantz models from what I understand had quality control issues too.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2016, 03:49 am »
Anthem receiver is probably the best receiver alternative.

BUT - I would keep the anthem amp & get another Pre-Pro.  Your best bang-for-buck is going to be a Marantz 7703. If the budget is tight, a 7702MKII.  And if its REALLY tight, an SR5 series receiver w/ preamp outs.

That combo is going to be better than any receiver out there from any brand.

werd

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2016, 11:07 pm »
If you are not too into video. Then try the Onkyo 757. You can get one new in your price. Onkyo are notoriously evil for burning out their hdmi and sensitive pcb video devices. Onkyo does install fans in their chassis and this one had one. (Which might help).  All you have to do is look into the chassis, if it has a fan you can see it.  I had it for a couple of weeks and I like it lots but I went to the Yamaha for multi room music.

The reason why I think Onkyo's stuff burns is because I think they have the most power. Since their power rating comes from more current and Less voltage gain. Unfortunately turning the thing on and off will eventually power surge something into failing. Basically like alll receivers, they boast pretty big power with no grounds or soft starts...  :lol:. That makes me laugh actually. They are basically designed to destroy them selves.