Tweaking the sound on the Sapphire XLs

actuarysam

Tweaking the sound on the Sapphire XLs
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:48 pm »
I am in the midst of auditioning the Sapphire XLs. I am using a sub and the line-level filters on the mains. I've experimented with both inserting and removing the foam port stuffers.
I was finding that the use of the stuffers was affecting not only the strength of the bass, but also had an effect on midrange tonality - which to me is the most important thing I look for. I want just the right amount of warmth in female voices and brass instruments, without sounding bloomy. Alas, I felt that without the stuffer, the sound was a bit too warm, and with the stuffer it was a bit too harsh.
In search of the Goldilocks solution, I naturally decided to experiment with inserting the stuffers part of the way but not all of the way in to the ports. To my amazement, I found that by making very small changes in the amount of insertion, I was able to precisely fine-tune the midrange warmth to the EXACT amount I desired. This was exciting not only because it let me get exactly the sound I was looking for, but also because it was tweak nirvana! :)
Combining this with the precise imaging, huge stoundstage, smooth response and detailed refinement that are obvious hallmarks of the Sapphire XLs have made them for me the perfect speaker.
I'd encourage other owners to experiment with this, and, Mike, you might want to mention this option in the next version of the support materials.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Re: Tweaking the sound on the Sapphire XLs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:53 pm »
I am in the midst of auditioning the Sapphire XLs. I am using a sub and the line-level filters on the mains. I've experimented with both inserting and removing the foam port stuffers.
I was finding that the use of the stuffers was affecting not only the strength of the bass, but also had an effect on midrange tonality - which to me is the most important thing I look for. I want just the right amount of warmth in female voices and brass instruments, without sounding bloomy. Alas, I felt that without the stuffer, the sound was a bit too warm, and with the stuffer it was a bit too harsh.
In search of the Goldilocks solution, I naturally decided to experiment with inserting the stuffers part of the way but not all of the way in to the ports. To my amazement, I found that by making very small changes in the amount of insertion, I was able to precisely fine-tune the midrange warmth to the EXACT amount I desired. This was exciting not only because it let me get exactly the sound I was looking for, but also because it was tweak nirvana! :)
Combining this with the precise imaging, huge stoundstage, smooth response and detailed refinement that are obvious hallmarks of the Sapphire XLs have made them for me the perfect speaker.
I'd encourage other owners to experiment with this, and, Mike, you might want to mention this option in the next version of the support materials.

You know what they say, It is not the size that counts to stuff a port, it is how you use it! I think you now know the secrect all of us are trying to accomplish. As we can see and hear, it take a practice and patience to be successful. But once you got it tweaked to perfection, you accomplish total orgasmic nirvana! aa

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:46 pm »

Great post. You have hit on one of those secrets of going from super to GREAT. The little things that allow a system to really nail it. I've been leary of saying too much about this because it is the kind of thing that seems to cause such angst among some audiophiles. Obviously not yourself, you're willing to experiment and let your ears be your guide. Bravo! I worry that if we bring this up in the manual many will be wanting us to tell them what is correct for them . . . something that, as you have discovered, is up to you. Sounds like you're on the path toward really enjoying the Sapphire XLs. Have fun, and thanks for posting this!  :D

actuarysam

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2006, 05:06 am »
Mike, the kudos are all yours, for your great product and support. It should be obvious that a whole host of variables - room conditions, cables, power conditioning -have non-trivial effects on the sound, and a mechanism to make small tweaks to adjust for these from system to sytem is the ideal way to provide the greatest assurance of things being exactly right in YOUR system. I never expected this could be achieved in so simple a manner however.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:45 am »
Mike, the kudos are all yours, for your great product and support. It should be obvious that a whole host of variables - room conditions, cables, power conditioning -have non-trivial effects on the sound, and a mechanism to make small tweaks to adjust for these from system to sytem is the ideal way to provide the greatest assurance of things being exactly right in YOUR system. I never expected this could be achieved in so simple a manner however.

We should probably make up some sort of cool name like VPT (variable port tuning) or MISONF (make it sing on the fly) patent it and raise the price . . . . NOT  :nono:  Seriously, you are so very correct about the issues that can be the difference between good sound and great sound. AND, we really need to do a better job in the manual, etc. of explaining how to adjust the port to "lock in" a system. Thanks!