bi-amping question

bakufu

bi-amping question
« on: 19 Aug 2012, 01:39 pm »
currently i'm using a pair of kwa 100se's, one to drive the mids and one to drive the highs.

are there good reasons not to use a different topology:  one to drive the left speaker, mids and highs, and one to drive the right?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: bi-amping question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2012, 01:52 pm »
deleted

srb

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2012, 02:12 pm »
It's generally a better idea to vertically bi-amp with one amplifier per speaker, particularly if you are using identical amplifiers rather than wanting a slightly different sound for each driver by using different amplifiers such as a tube amp for highs and a solid state amp for lows.

The lower the frequency the more power a driver requires, and not having the lower frequency drivers share an amplifier should make more power and current available to each lower frequency driver.

It also depends on the the power supply configuration.  With completely separate dual mono power supplies, it will make less difference.  I believe the KWA-100SE has a single transformer with dual sets of secondary windings, so even though it has separate rectifiers and capacitors for each channel, the VA rating of the primary will be shared between the channels.

But because you are bi-amping a midrange and tweeter it obviously won't make as big of a difference as if you were bi-amping a woofer and tweeter or a woofer and midrange/tweeter.

Steve

bakufu

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2012, 04:42 pm »
thanks.  i can't hear any differences with vertical arrangement (which is good), but the cable thicket is now easier to manage.  (yesterday i added three more ethernet cables to this jungle, which tested even my tolerance for disorder.)