Titan II LE problem

MPK

Titan II LE problem
« on: 4 Nov 2011, 01:45 am »
Hello all,

I have loved all the ACI speakers I have owned, and mostly the Titan II LE (which is the last ACI holdout I have).  However, it has a problem where it sounds really bad at high output.  It seems with only relatively high LFE output, the woofer is bottoming out.  It sounds like it is vibrating too hard and can't control itself.

Note, I do not abuse the volume control.....ever.  In order to keep this from happening in all but the most dynamic movie scenes, I have to keep the sub level much lower than I normally would - say about 10db.  Even with that, the more demanding scenes will still reveal the problem.  And with the lower setting, I'm am missing that oomph I used to have. 

Does this sound like a driver issue or amp?  Or pre-out from the receiver maybe (Denon 4308)?  I have tried a different cable, but that's it so far (and no luck).  As well, the driver appears to be physically fine (looking from the outside).

I really want to keep the sub, but the lack of the ol' oomph is making me consider selling it as a parts bucket.....an awefully nice looking bucket  :D

Thanks for any help in identify the problem.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Titan II LE problem
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2011, 05:44 pm »
Hello,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties w/ your Titan. I'd be willing to bet it is the amp and not the driver. The OEM who built these amps for us continues to offer very reasonably priced repairs. You can find the info and contact information here:

http://audioc.com/aboutaci1/support.htm

I'd suggest emailing them, copying and pasting the info you gave here. I hope this helps!

MPK

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:33 pm »
Thanks Mike, I will look into this....

mpk

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:59 am »
I am back and have not made a move to repair or replace my Titan II - just been putting up with the problem   :(

Last night, I was watching the Blu-ray movie of War Horse - where the problem revealed itself during the battle scenes - and am now at wits end and want to do something to rectify the problem.

Note I had contacted the amp manufacturer previously, and they thought the problem was more likely the driver.  They asked me to investigate if the driver was hitting the backplane (by gently pushing on the driver to see if it physically moves too far and touches the backplane).  I tested this and did not find this to be true.

Nothing (still) looks wrong, however the rubber surround seems awfully flexible.  I don't remember what this was like when new though.  Does this sound like it could be the culprit?  Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement 12" driver that would be an exact (physical) match?  I don't want to mess with redrilling holes or anything.  And I'm hoping a replacement driver would be less expensive (if it turns out not to be the problem) than attempting to have the amp looked and and repaired.

I love the cabinet (and the old performance), so I would really like to keep this in my setup.  But if I can't fix it, anyone interested in purchasing it?  What do you think it's worth?  This is the Titan II LE in Cherry finish.

Thanks again...

Ryan45872

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2012, 07:36 pm »
 It seems with only relatively high LFE output, the woofer is bottoming out.  It sounds like it is vibrating too hard and can't control itself.

I had the same problem with my Force sub. I haven't sent the amp in either. I thought it might be the driver so I replaced it with another and did the same thing.
Sounds like the amp can't control the woofer( it goes out of control).
 Another reason I know its the amp is I have 2 and the other Force is getting the same signal,same volume,and settings and does not behave like the other.
Ryan
P.S.
I absolutely love the subs . I own 2 Maestros also ,but I like my Forces better. The Maestros sound Awesome.But I would trade my Maestros for Forces anyday.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:07 pm »
I am back and have not made a move to repair or replace my Titan II - just been putting up with the problem   :(

Last night, I was watching the Blu-ray movie of War Horse - where the problem revealed itself during the battle scenes - and am now at wits end and want to do something to rectify the problem.

Note I had contacted the amp manufacturer previously, and they thought the problem was more likely the driver.  They asked me to investigate if the driver was hitting the backplane (by gently pushing on the driver to see if it physically moves too far and touches the backplane).  I tested this and did not find this to be true.

Nothing (still) looks wrong, however the rubber surround seems awfully flexible.  I don't remember what this was like when new though.  Does this sound like it could be the culprit?  Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement 12" driver that would be an exact (physical) match?  I don't want to mess with redrilling holes or anything.  And I'm hoping a replacement driver would be less expensive (if it turns out not to be the problem) than attempting to have the amp looked and and repaired.

I love the cabinet (and the old performance), so I would really like to keep this in my setup.  But if I can't fix it, anyone interested in purchasing it?  What do you think it's worth?  This is the Titan II LE in Cherry finish.

Thanks again...

Where are you located?  That's a big issue as it affects shipping.

mpk

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm »
I live in sourthern California.  Orange County.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:16 pm »
Rats!   :lol:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm »
Odds are very strong that it is the amp. Shipping the amp itself shouldn't cost you very much. Just make sure it is very well protected with packaging.

mpk

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2012, 01:41 am »
Thanks Mike (nice to see you're still hanging around).

I will contact the mfg again and see if I can get an estimate to take a look at the amp.

Thunderbrick, did you have hopes of purchasing this thing?  I have the original shipping materials (very well packed from what remember) if you're interested.  Make me an offer!

Disclosure:  the lowest part of the wood legs have some wear.  Actually, some moisture that went undetected sat in the carpet where the sub sits and caused the wood at the bottom of the legs to show the result.  Sitting on the now dry carpet, I can't see the damage standing in front of the sub.  Otherwise, the sub is in great cosmetic condition.

Ryan45872

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2012, 11:56 am »
Thanks Mike (nice to see you're still hanging around).

I will contact the mfg again and see if I can get an estimate to take a look at the amp.

Thunderbrick, did you have hopes of purchasing this thing?  I have the original shipping materials (very well packed from what remember) if you're interested.  Make me an offer!

Disclosure:  the lowest part of the wood legs have some wear.  Actually, some moisture that went undetected sat in the carpet where the sub sits and caused the wood at the bottom of the legs to show the result.  Sitting on the now dry carpet, I can't see the damage standing in front of the sub.  Otherwise, the sub is in great cosmetic condition.

Hi mpk

Here is the info Brent gave me:
Full name

Shipping address

Billing address (if different)

Phone#

Description of problem

Once I have that info I will email you back a copy of the RMA.

These are not covered under warranty.  Labor typically runs $95 to $200 plus parts and labor.

mpk

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2012, 05:38 pm »
Thanks Ryan.

Brent sent me the info as well.  He still feels the amp is likely not the problem though, saying the only way it could be the amp is if the diodes in the limiter circuit shorted - and that normally if a diode fails, it goes open and would not pass audio.

Brent gave me a lot of other info (a nice lesson on the difference between the sub inputs and what it takes to pressurize a room - and possible suggestions to mitigate the problem) - very helpful.

I don't think I want to spend the time and dollars guessing what is wrong.  I think I will try to sell the sub for whatever I can get.  For anyone interested, I have other items I would package it with.  The pick of the litter is 5 Mirage Omni-Micros in perfect condition (original msrp was $185 each).  I used these with the sub for awhile with very nice results.  The other stuff may not be as interesting (older Marantz SR4200 receiver, Sanyo Z4 projector, unused 92" pull-down screen, Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player).

I'm now on the hunt for a new sub and projector!

Ryan45872

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:18 pm »
mpk,
what is your email address?
ryan

Mikeyb

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:21 am »
Ryan, this is MPK (I finally remembered my old username and password).

I sent you an email via PM.

Ryan45872

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:34 am »
Ryan, this is MPK (I finally remembered my old username and password).

I sent you an email via PM.

I didn't get anything.?

Mikeyb

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:56 am »
 :dunno:

Sent a personal message as a 2nd try.