DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range

OzarkTom

Re: DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range
« Reply #140 on: 4 Dec 2016, 03:25 am »

dburna

« Reply #141 on: 4 Dec 2016, 03:37 am »
Just an FYI, I'll have an iFi Black iDSD unit in my hands in the next few days.  Just as context, I like the old/original silver iDSD better than any other DAC I heard up to the Vega at $3500.  I'm hoping the Black is a significant improvement on the Silver.

I have the existing iFi iDSD in my possession on my at-home work desktop.  It pairs with the iFi power supply and USB iPurifier, along with a USB cable that separates the power and signal legs.  Combined with the (overperforming) JBL 305 active monitors, it's a pretty sweet setup for not a lot of cash.

Tyson, I am curious about what you like so much about this DAC relative to others in this price range.  I like it a good deal, but I can think of one thing in particular they can improve.....and I'll get to see/hear for myself, because.....  I got myself on the Head-fi tour for the new iFi Black iDSD, so I will be able to compare both side-by-side, probably in Feb or so, depending on the tour schedule (I am towards the back end of the tour).

-dB

mr_bill

Freo-1

« Reply #143 on: 5 Dec 2016, 10:04 pm »

Shogun

« Reply #144 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:59 am »
For 1k, Musical Paradise MP-D2 look interesting. It's a tube DAC and user can change the output stage coupling capacitors without soldering.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

JackD

« Reply #145 on: 6 Dec 2016, 01:25 am »
Shogun

I've had the MP for about 4 months and it is very good.  I have rolled through over a dozen rectifier and input tube combos, but feel no need for now to fool with the Caps.  As a point of comparison also still have around the W4S DAC-2, Nuprime DAC-10, Aqua La Voce Mk II, and the Line Magnetic LM-502.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #146 on: 6 Dec 2016, 01:26 am »
I have the existing iFi iDSD in my possession on my at-home work desktop.  It pairs with the iFi power supply and USB iPurifier, along with a USB cable that separates the power and signal legs.  Combined with the (overperforming) JBL 305 active monitors, it's a pretty sweet setup for not a lot of cash.

Tyson, I am curious about what you like so much about this DAC relative to others in this price range.  I like it a good deal, but I can think of one thing in particular they can improve.....and I'll get to see/hear for myself, because.....  I got myself on the Head-fi tour for the new iFi Black iDSD, so I will be able to compare both side-by-side, probably in Feb or so, depending on the tour schedule (I am towards the back end of the tour).

-dB

Having done this hobby for more than 20 years, I just want something that makes me want to listen to music an enjoy it.  The iFi does everything well and nothing wrong.  And in my system at least it has outstanding tonality and holographic imaging.  I mean the original Silver iFi iDSD.  The jury is still out on the Black.  So far the black has better bass, more percussive dynamics and cleaner overall sound but does not have that beautiful midrange or holographic imaging yet.  But it's also only got 2 days of burn it on it.  I remember the original Silver iDSD took a few weeks to fully settle in.  I imagine the Black will probably take just as long.  But even after 2 days I can say that the bass (at least) is waaaay better than the Silver. 

jhm731

« Reply #147 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:26 am »
Just ordered one of these:

https://www.nativsound.com/en/usb-dac

They had a special this past weekend, $450. off and a free Pulse PSU.;-)

roscoeiii

« Reply #148 on: 6 Dec 2016, 04:11 am »
Having done this hobby for more than 20 years, I just want something that makes me want to listen to music an enjoy it.  The iFi does everything well and nothing wrong.  And in my system at least it has outstanding tonality and holographic imaging.  I mean the original Silver iFi iDSD.  The jury is still out on the Black.  So far the black has better bass, more percussive dynamics and cleaner overall sound but does not have that beautiful midrange or holographic imaging yet.  But it's also only got 2 days of burn it on it.  I remember the original Silver iDSD took a few weeks to fully settle in.  I imagine the Black will probably take just as long.  But even after 2 days I can say that the bass (at least) is waaaay better than the Silver.

The new generation iFi gear seems to have really upped their line's ability in the bass. Fremer's iPhono Gen II review suggests this as well.

Great company with superb value propositions. Would love to compare the Black iDSD to my beloved Mojo.

Audiophile58

« Reply #149 on: 7 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm »
The Gungir uses the AkM dacs  sonicly I find the Multibit to be a bit more forgiving .
I have a exceptional upgrade for any dac to implement .instead of using the cheaper Wima coupling
Caps the Amtran poly coupling caps are far superior from Japan better across the board and still naturally
Warm .i heard the two firs hand moth Gungnir Multibit dacs . It us totally shocking why Schiit totally
Ignores my emails when these coupling caps are a easy upgrade ,put a Hifi tuning Supreme fuse in there also
With goid power cord well over a 5% increase across the board for less then $30 in capacitors .
Parts connection has these ,in stock if not they can get within a week . There are no better pick fared sized
Coupling caps for digital better anywhere Period !!  Who cares if it breaks warranty it is only 2 years on Multibit upgrade any way also on power caps using Audyn true copper .22 uf bypass caps another clear improvement .