How are your MLS cabinets holding up?

PMAT

How are your MLS cabinets holding up?
« on: 4 May 2013, 04:22 pm »
I know that the cabinets are beautiful but how are the veneers doing?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2013, 05:18 pm by PMAT »

John Casler

Re: How are your MLS VPMS cabinets holding up?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2013, 08:26 pm »
I placed a lot of these cabinets and haven't heard of a single problem.

On the last shipment, Brian mentioned that a few were damaged slightly in shipping.

PMAT

Re: How are your MLS cabinets holding up?
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2013, 05:17 pm »
It's good to know for those of us interested in running VMPS long term. People will still want to upgrade as their systems improve. I will be back in the market after a substantial setback occurred. The MLS Cabs look so nice. I have Black oak RM-1s that look nice and have held up well. I would like something a little more exotic next time around. I am good with woodworking though.

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2013, 09:08 pm »
PMAT,

Have you considered refinishing your RM1s? You could easily veneer the cabinets. I finished my subs in a ribbon sapple wood veneer. The picture doesn't show it but the grain of this veneer has a prism like look, very cool.

PMAT

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2013, 07:58 am »
Yes I have considered it. I just did it with my Legacy sub and hand cut my own veneers from walnut I had.

The problem is that I have to sit so low to get the mids to hit me right. I would like a taller speaker like an RM-2 or RM-40 but with a snazzy cabinet. Looks are important to me. I had a terrible experience with a 30 so I prefer not to go that way. I've even considered adding a Neo-panel dipole on top of the RM-1 cabinet but I am lacking experience there

JP78

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 07:10 pm »
A small tilt in the front may do wonders via a couple 1/2" or 1" cones. I had the same problem with a pair of Dynaudio Focus floorstanders that had the tweeter placed below the midwoofer and this fixed it right up.

Best,

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2013, 12:22 am »
The problem is that I have to sit so low to get the mids to hit me right... RM-1...

I solved that problem with my RM1 by building a riser for the cabinets. THe riser adds about 6" to the RM1's height, and also serves as the crossover box(all crossover parts are now easily accessible).
Before the riser I simply used a piece 1x2 under the front to raise tilt the front up.

PMAT

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2013, 03:25 pm »
I have tilted them in the past but then they look and are unstable. I have my 1's sounding great and I have thought about a riser like yours. I thought about replacing the whole bottom piece with a taller slot setup but the idea of outboard x-over is interesting. I do, however, have some lust for an exotic MLS cabinet. I am really into hardwood. My 1's are black.