Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #340 on: 28 Jul 2014, 03:24 am »
Hi Dave, glad you're back and that your HAP-Z1ES may work out for you! Would be very interested in hearing this unit with your PC.........

Thanks! Yup, happy now that everything's working.  :thumb: 

The power cables are going around, and I would be happy to send them to you to check out, will pm you when they are ready.

Rob50

« Reply #341 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »
Hi guys,

I was after some advice. I own the HAP-S1 ( as previously stated. ) I had to do a factory re-set a couple of months ago, literally just finished transferring all my music again....and now I have the prospect of having to do another factory re-set ! ( Which I want to avoid, if possible !! ? )
Basically, as of this morning, I had to change my wireless router. Connection was showing successful to the player, but the HAP Music transfer softwear won't work.
I've phoned Sony ( twice ) initially told to uninstall softwear & re-install. This hasn't solved the issue. From what I gather the IP Address may not be matching with laptop / HAP-S1 ?? I was told the only way to solve this issue, is to do another factory re-set. The thought & prospect of that is unbearable !! ( I've had the player since May, and all I've done is transfer my entire collection twice....I don't want to do it a third time ! )
I transferred nothing onto the internal HD. If I do a factory reset will I lose all the album cover info from my music files on my external HD ? ( as before )
Any advice would be much appreciated ! ( I love the sound of these players, WHEN I GET TO LISTEN !!..but technically, they're not worth it !! )

Gzerro

« Reply #342 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
Hi guys,

Basically, as of this morning, I had to change my wireless router. Connection was showing successful to the player, but the HAP Music transfer softwear won't work.

I am sorry if this seems a dumb question, but did you try plugging in directly instead of using the wireless? It sounds like the player is not picking up a new IP address from the router like it should.

bwillcox

« Reply #343 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:33 pm »
I am sorry if this seems a dumb question, but did you try plugging in directly instead of using the wireless? It sounds like the player is not picking up a new IP address from the router like it should.

May not be of any help, but I've noticed that with my HAP-Z1ES the transfer program sometimes (maybe always now) doesn't "find" the player. I have had to key in the IP address in the connection dialog box entry lately when I start it up.

Rob50, have you tried that? Sure beats transferring the tracks again. I have deliberately avoided transferring vary many of my tracks down due to how long it takes and the likelihood of having to repeat the operation as an ongoing affair. :(

Also, I don't think that doing a factory reset will clear what's on your external drive, but you will have to rescan it (which can take a fair amount of time as well).

Rob50

« Reply #344 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:43 pm »

No, I have never tried the wired connection. I guess this would show the IP address ? Excuse my ignorance ( I'm reluctant to using the wired connection, after I plugged the cable into the player, and had difficulty removing it ! )
During the afternoon, the HAP softwear has recognised my present files, and started to transfer, but each time it stops after a short time, with the error message indicating IP address problem.

Rob50

« Reply #345 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:52 pm »
May not be of any help, but I've noticed that with my HAP-Z1ES the transfer program sometimes (maybe always now) doesn't "find" the player. I have had to key in the IP address in the connection dialog box entry lately when I start it up.

Rob50, have you tried that? Sure beats transferring the tracks again. I have deliberately avoided transferring vary many of my tracks down due to how long it takes and the likelihood of having to repeat the operation as an ongoing affair. :(

Also, I don't think that doing a factory reset will clear what's on your external drive, but you will have to rescan it (which can take a fair amount of time as well).

Thanks for your reply. As Gzerro suggests ( I think ! ) it may be a matter of finding out the IP address of my new wireless router, and it appears I can only find out this by wired connection ?
Inspite of what Sony say, I'm not convinced that a factory re-set will solve the problem ?? I'm not going down that route, twice is bad enough, let alone a third time !
At least at this point, I have transferred some files, and can hopefully transfer each new album I purchase from now on, even if I keep getting the error connection message.....

Rob50

« Reply #346 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:26 pm »
Update :

I wired the player for the first time & found out the IP address, ( the only digit being different is the end one, i.e. ends in 4, instead of a 3. )
Decided to transfer, waited for what seemed an eternity, and got "can't transfer, device not ready".
Attempted wireless connection again and player shut down after 12 files....saying that device is not connected. ( obviously ! )
Tried connecting again....and have now got a completely different number altogether, below the player symbol ! Doesn't start with 192 e.t.c......number starts with 169....hoping that this now settles down !

bwillcox

« Reply #347 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:13 pm »
As I understand it, 169.x.x.x IP addresses show up when a device can't get a valid DHCP address from the DHCP server. In other words, there is some reason your Sony box is failing to get assigned a valid IP address from your DHCP server (probably in your router).

Rob50

« Reply #348 on: 5 Sep 2014, 09:12 pm »
As I understand it, 169.x.x.x IP addresses show up when a device can't get a valid DHCP address from the DHCP server. In other words, there is some reason your Sony box is failing to get assigned a valid IP address from your DHCP server (probably in your router).

Thanks for your feedback. I don't recall seeing anything about IP addresses when I initially set up HAP transfer 3 / 4 months ago.
As I said, I'm not convinced another factory re-set will solve the router recognition problem ? Sony pass off the "factory re-set solution" far too easily & often ! When I pointed out to them that there was a help section about IP addresses, and that it indicated that this was the problem, they still insisted on a factory re-set !

bwillcox

« Reply #349 on: 5 Sep 2014, 09:39 pm »
I wouldn't expect doing a factory reset to help with the problem you are having. The unit comes setup to use DHCP to acquire an IP address automatically from your network's DHCP server (usually in your router). Since you wound up with a 169.x.x.x IP address is appears that that has failed. There is a setting to change from using DHCP to a static IP address, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem either.

I suspect that you are having some kind of connectivity problems. That your HAP box isn't able to get a DHCP address suggests that it can't communicate with your DHCP server. I have no idea what the topology of your network is, but you'd probably do well to simplify it as much as you can as a test to see if you can get the HAP back online.

Rob50

« Reply #350 on: 5 Sep 2014, 09:51 pm »
Thanks, I'm not sure what to try next, to be honest ? I certainly don't think it would be worth wile ringing Sony again.
( I'm surprised wired connection did not work....may try again tomorrow....)

clang

« Reply #351 on: 8 Sep 2014, 10:41 pm »
Transfer is much faster with a wired connection, so if possible you should try to go that route.
In my case, I have to disenable wireless connection in my computer before the Sony can be recognized(set wifi to "off").
Perhaps you should try this.

OzarkTom

« Reply #352 on: 8 Sep 2014, 10:48 pm »
Internet radio keeps saying unavailable at my house for the last four days, is anyone else having this problem?

bwillcox

« Reply #353 on: 8 Sep 2014, 10:52 pm »
Internet radio keeps saying unavailable at my house, is anyone else having this problem?

I've always used a wired connection when running the Sony transfer program (on a GigE network) and still find it painfully slow. Transferring the ~2700 tracks that I last had to transfer down (due to replacing my original broken unit) took about 16 hours to do the transfer plus the directory scan.

tvyankee

« Reply #354 on: 8 Sep 2014, 11:12 pm »
Hey. If  you have a wireless router  or wired I guess it doesn't matter really and a smart phone just download fing on ur phone then turn on ur wireless on ur phone then connect to your network then open fing up scan ur network and it will tell you ever ip address on it including ur router ip address.

If other devices can connect to the router then ur router is working fine.

Also make sure the sony is set to obtain ip automatically.

If that does not work the set it statically . Look at all of the ip addresses and just change the last number to one that is not used.

If these options do not work then do a factory default of first birthday.

Let us know how u make out.

OzarkTom

« Reply #355 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:41 am »
Five days now and still no internet radio. :scratch:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #356 on: 9 Sep 2014, 03:46 am »
Five days now and still no internet radio. :scratch:

Have you tried powering it down then unplugging it for a while? When you unplug it other stuff turns off that's normally always on. The wireless on mine just decided to stop working recently, and unplugging it seemed to reset whatever needed to be reset for it to work again.

These things sound great, but are not perfect...  :scratch:

Rob50

« Reply #357 on: 9 Sep 2014, 11:31 am »
Hey. If  you have a wireless router  or wired I guess it doesn't matter really and a smart phone just download fing on ur phone then turn on ur wireless on ur phone then connect to your network then open fing up scan ur network and it will tell you ever ip address on it including ur router ip address.

If other devices can connect to the router then ur router is working fine.

Also make sure the sony is set to obtain ip automatically.

If that does not work the set it statically . Look at all of the ip addresses and just change the last number to one that is not used.

If these options do not work then do a factory default of first birthday.

Let us know how u make out.

Thanks for your advice / feedback.....I actually got my old modem / router to work.....thank God !! It was a nightmare with the new router. HAP transfer just kept shutting down, even when I typed in the correct IP address, according to what was displayed, when the player was wired.
I assume that the problem was that the IP addresses weren't matching with my laptop ?? So confusing !! Strangely, after setting up my old modem / router, the IP address changed the second day, from an end digit of 1 to 0. I thought, "here we go again", especially when I lost connection once ! Thankfully it's been working fine, since.
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove files that did not transfer correctly, i.e. "Unplayable content. ( Not supported )
I don't have a Smart phone....just praying, I don't ever have to use another router, ever again !!

OzarkTom

« Reply #358 on: 9 Sep 2014, 11:53 am »

Have you tried powering it down then unplugging it for a while? When you unplug it other stuff turns off that's normally always on. The wireless on mine just decided to stop working recently, and unplugging it seemed to reset whatever needed to be reset for it to work again.

These things sound great, but are not perfect...  :scratch:

I left it unplugged last night, still does not work. :evil:

bwillcox

« Reply #359 on: 9 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm »
Thanks for your advice / feedback.....I actually got my old modem / router to work.....thank God !! It was a nightmare with the new router. HAP transfer just kept shutting down, even when I typed in the correct IP address, according to what was displayed, when the player was wired.
I assume that the problem was that the IP addresses weren't matching with my laptop ?? So confusing !! Strangely, after setting up my old modem / router, the IP address changed the second day, from an end digit of 1 to 0. I thought, "here we go again", especially when I lost connection once ! Thankfully it's been working fine, since.

Glad you got it working again. I'd be tempted to ditch that new router.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove files that did not transfer correctly, i.e. "Unplayable content. ( Not supported )
I don't have a Smart phone....just praying, I don't ever have to use another router, ever again !!

There's a selection to delete a track somewhere in the menus (sorry I can't be more specific, I don't recall exactly where and I'm not near my unit right now)