Deadheads, check this out!

jriggy

Re: Deadheads, check this out!
« Reply #240 on: 15 Dec 2011, 05:53 pm »
Mike, Thanks so much for sharing this find and bprice2, thanks for the specifics... I may save this for comparison to the Dave's Picks 1. just so the release is fresh and fun

bprice2

« Reply #241 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:38 pm »
'76 doesn't seem to get many kudos as far as I've seen, but I've found myself coming back to this one often - great show, excellent SQ and like Mike said previously, "Donna sounds great."

Grateful Dead
June 17, 1976
Capitol Theatre
Passaic, NJ

gd76-06-17.sbd.miller.80739.sbeok.flac16

I think I might be the only seeder at the moment.  If that is the case, then you probably won't get 100% on your download, as I've removed the tags and the checksums from my file.  The music should all be there, so all should be fine.  If you get 95.8%, then you got it.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #242 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm »
Using my new set of monitors, I've been comparing the VBR MP3 from Archive vs. A straight FLAC from btree. The FLAC is no doubt better, but the MP3 is a lot closer than you would think.

@ Brett: Thanks for the '76 link. I'm looking forward to it. It seems my experience with that year is real hit and miss. That said, one of my all-time favorite releases from The Boys is DP 33.

UPDATE:

Brett, that '76 show is most totally excellent. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011, 04:36 pm by Mike Nomad »

jriggy

« Reply #243 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:07 pm »
Hey Deadheads, check THIS out!

https://listentothedead.com/ You search year, date, then choose your source.

this has completely change my desk-work listening time!
Having it all in one organized location is just wonderful!!!
What a great way to find and listen to a run of shows. Or go back and listen to the show before or after an old favorite... And dont forget to find the Charlie Miller transfers. Trust Charlie!  :thumb:

pjnad

« Reply #244 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:57 pm »

What a great way to find and listen to a run of shows. Or go back and listen to the show before or after an old favorite... And dont forget to find the Charlie Miller transfers. Trust Charlie!  :thumb:

Hey, Thanks for the info...just checked out this site and it's pretty great! I'm listening to the epic Scarlet >Fire from the Fox Theater Atlanta 11/30/80 as I'm typing.. Good times...I was in school at Emory U. that year and we went to the Florida shows for Spring Break and got back to Atlanta for this!

jriggy

« Reply #245 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:39 pm »
Hey, Thanks for the info...just checked out this site and it's pretty great! I'm listening to the epic Scarlet >Fire from the Fox Theater Atlanta 11/30/80 as I'm typing.. Good times...I was in school at Emory U. that year and we went to the Florida shows for Spring Break and got back to Atlanta for this!

That's awesome you were at those shows pj! Before getting the Dave's Picks of the Atlanta show, I used ListenToTheDead for those Florda shows. Good stuff!

On a side note: the official release of the 11-30-80 Atlanta show is a matrix recording (audience/soundboard mix). The audience recording was done by Bob Wagner. I know him as Dr. Bob from String Cheese Incident taper circles... Back some time in the 2000's ('03 '04 or '05) at an SCI show at the Fox in Atlanta, the band let Dr. Bob tape their show from the same front row balcony seat where he taped this Dead show 20+ years earlier... Pretty cool night. Not nearly as cool as it sound it was in '80 though I'm sure!

pjnad

« Reply #246 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:49 pm »
I didn't realize that show was out on an official release; my copy is downloaded from Workingman's Tracker torrent site...since I am still a purist  :scratch: my system is not set up to play computer files so I have still been burning my flacs onto disc...

That Florida run was a lot of fun, the show in the gym at Gainesville was a blast, the place was half empty, I guess because of Spring Break and the band was hot...oh yeah and the doses were good  :o

warx

« Reply #247 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:51 pm »
What a great link. Im enjoying the audio from one time I got to see them. Sept 3,1985. Good times. I rode 45 min with my good friend in the back of a mazda b2000. Going down I-44. haha. I think some yukon jack might have been involved.  :lol:

jriggy

« Reply #248 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm »
I didn't realize that show was out on an official release; my copy is downloaded from Workingman's Tracker torrent site...since I am still a purist  :scratch: my system is not set up to play computer files so I have still been burning my flacs onto disc...

That Florida run was a lot of fun, the show in the gym at Gainesville was a blast, the place was half empty, I guess because of Spring Break and the band was hot...oh yeah and the doses were good  :o

I guess that's a nice coincidence you mention 11-30-80 then! It is the newest (nov.2013) sold out Dave's Picks release. I just subscribe to em each year. But I'm a total "custy" for All things Dead...

pjnad

« Reply #249 on: 11 Jan 2014, 11:18 pm »
Ohh...I get the monthly GD Almanac and the various emails from dead.net but I haven't purchased any of the Dave's Picks since I already have so many shows downloaded, but I might have bought that one...I guess I just glanced quickly at the email... :scratch: and didn't pay enough attention...

guf

« Reply #250 on: 13 May 2014, 04:49 am »
I knew there was a GD focused thread somewhere. I just wanted to mention I'm listening to audience recording from 6/23/90 Eugene. It's easy to forgot about audience recordings because there are so many official releases. I'm sitting here in awe with how amazing it sounds. Just a little reminder to give a little love to you favorite (aud)

bprice2

« Reply #251 on: 15 May 2014, 04:03 pm »

Mike Nomad

« Reply #252 on: 3 Jul 2014, 03:06 pm »
Anybody in Houston going to the Meet Up on July 17th? I'll be at the Edwards.

(if you didn't already know)

http://www.fandango.com/gratefuldeadmeetup2014_173985/movietimes

jriggy

« Reply #253 on: 31 May 2016, 07:47 pm »
Hey Deadheads!

Im surprised this thread did not get brought back last year at any point during the 50th anniversary. I almost did it a couple times but refrained. :dunno:
What a fun year it was to be a Deadhead!

Just a heads up to disc spinners to grab the new "July '78" boxset before they're gone! (or get a file format)

These shows are great! Not the typical sloppiness of 1978 you might be thinking, and a couple of them completely 'lost' and uncirculated until now.
Not only that, the sound is fantastic on this box! I don't think we have ever heard the combo of Betty Cantor-Jackson, Jeffery Norman and David Glasser on a release. Stellar!

We know most Betty Boards have a sound of their own, which is better than most other SBD's, and we've heard some past Jeffery Norman mixes of Betty Boards released in the past...but you add in how much better the SQ and technology put forth for "Dave's Picks" mixes over the "Dicks Picks" releases from the '90's...and ad in the Grammy winning mastering of David Glasser and you get some of the best, if not THE best, Grateful Dead 2 ch release to date. They really are that good.

The packaging and liner notes book for the set is top-notch, too. Well worth the hard copy IMO.

Happy listening!
 Jason