HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

woodsyi's rebuilt CAPS2 machine is setup with the dspMusik and the DAC2X in his system.  All making music again.

Did room measurements with REW to make changes to the subwoofer crossover points to smooth out the in room response at the listening location. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Yep,  I listened to a bunch of stuff to see how the new setting does and it was 1 AM before I knew it.  It's good with a variety of music.  I think I can finally put the DSP box in it's rightful place and do some tidying up with cables and what not.  Now I can get on with setting up  a new TT in place.  The Oracle TT and SS Strain Gauge are going in for update/repair.

HAL

Good to hear!   :thumb:

HAL

Rebuilt my prototype MS-2 machine with Windows 7 and starting the process of upgrading it to Windows 10 64bit OS at this time.

Built a DVD install disc with the Microsoft tools for Windows 10. 

Will see how it goes.

HAL

The Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade has problems running the previously installed programs.  Will be trying the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade next.

Phil A

The Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade has problems running the previously installed programs.  Will be trying the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade next.
Rich - thanks, following the thread waiting for the findings

JDUBS

Why not just do a clean install??

-Jim

HAL

I am looking at this for customers that have MS-1's with Windows 7 OS installed and all the Music Server software working.  From what I see, the upgrade did not work with the previously installed programs.  Since I installed all the software and settings, it would mean a return of the unit for OS upgrade and all the software.

Trying Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade now keeping all the original programs and settings.  Will look at the install tomorrow to see how it went.

HAL

The Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade using a DVD made from the Windows10 ISO file and verified, worked correctly.  All the MS-3 installed programs are working.

I have not done an exhaustive test of the MS-3 system due to time, but so far things are working.  It does appear to run a bit slower than Windows 8.1, but you get the new UI.

Now for the bad news.  If something goes wrong with the Windows 10 64bit upgrade, and the MS-2 or MS-3 needs to be rebuilt, the customer will have to pay for the service and shipping both ways.  The good news is that with both the Windows Technical Preview upgrade and Windows 10 upgrade versions, they both worked correctly after the process on the MS-3 hardware.  I do not have an MS-2 chassis here to test Windows 10 upgrade, but the WTP upgrade did work correctly when I did.

Windows 7 is a totally different story.  The Windows 10 upgrade keeping the original programs did not work.  Will need a total OS rebuild for MS-1's that want to try Windows 10.  The customer would have to pay for the upgrade service and shipping both ways.

stu

Rich, are you saying that the upgrade from 7 to 10 caused the programs to not work correctly, or did they just not load at all. either way, that is not good. why would they do an upgrade if it was not ready.
thanks,
mark

HAL

Mark,
I tried the Windows 10 upgrade version that kept all the original programs and files from Windows 7 and for the MS-2 prototype did not go well at all.  It did work correctly for a Windows 8.1 upgrade.  Everything ran as installed under Windows 8.1 in 10. 

I just tried an upgrade that started without keeping any programs and files from Windows 7 and it worked correctly so far.  Reinstalling the programs and files now.  They also have a version that just keeps the user files and not programs.  That would most likely work, but all the programs would need to be reinstalled and setup.

If I could predict anything that Microsoft will do, I might make some money in the stock market!

Best I have come up with in having the full version of Windows 10 for one day.

Rich

stu

thanks Rich. reloading all programs on a desktop would be a pain, but on my MS-1 it would not be a big deal. Mainly just EAC and Foobar, with maybe two others. Let us know what you think about the sound quality o 10 compared to 7 and 8.
Mark

HAL

Mark,
Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 sound better to me than Windows 7.  The audio path was changed after Windows 7. 

No way to test the MS-1 here with Windows 10 as I do not have one anymore.  As long as you have all the discs I sent with the unit, should be good to go.

Backup the full Download sub directory and you should have all the programs to reinstall after the upgrade. 

Rich

HAL

Hollis Audio Labs will be showing the MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik HiRez digital crossover and DAC at Capital Audio Fest 28-30 August in room 404 with GT Audio Works. 

The system will be used as a digital music playback setup with the system. 

Hope you get a chance to listen to the setup at the show.

KLH007

I'm looking forward to seeing the MS-3 in action in the GT Audio Works room.

HAL

Will be bringing a Windows 10 version MS-3 to CAF for folks to see and hear. 

Hope to see you at the show.

HAL

New literature and price sheets are available for the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik systems.  These will be at CAF in the GT Audio Works room 404 with the system.

Hope to see folks at the room next weekend!

Phil A

Will be bringing a Windows 10 version MS-3 to CAF for folks to see and hear. 

Hope to see you at the show.

Rich - looking forward to that and to ask questions and catch up.

HAL

Made it to the CAF2015 hotel. 

Will be setting up the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik once I get access to the room.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Good luck R.